10 Hot Springs in 7 Days: Dodging Naked Hippies in Central Nevada

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by CONKSO, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Steelstrings

Steelstrings n00b

Oddometer:
    :clap

Thoroughly enjoyed it!
  2. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fantastic ride report!
  3. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride! loved your style of writing, humorous and informative. Thanks for taking the time to let us ride along!
  4. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you all enjoyed the report. I'm happy to have started and finished it. I tried to write one of these before and I fizzled out partially through it- I've been harboring a lot of guilt since then... but now I'm liberated.

Can't wait for my next ride- an interesting observation: I went back to Fish Lake with my truck and girlfriend (it was only four days- worth writing up?), it took me a whole day to get the truck ready and packed and the bikes loaded. I thought about how I was having the same experience as my moto trip with SO much more stuff.

It was odd comparing the two experiences- I can't say one was better than the other because it was nice to have my girl along... but... the moto trip felt so much more liberating.

And the moto gas bill was a lot easier to manage.

Thanks again folks- if you want any info about where we went feel free to PM me or email me john@paddlesurf.net
  5. Jenn

Jenn praise seitan!

Oddometer:
    Great RR & photos! Right up my alley, for sure!

Or breaking BOTH ankles like someone I know on here did when riding solo -- EEEK, right??

1. You are SO lucky to have a musician in camp to play mandolin (how sweet!!)
    2. Buckets -- I always bring a bucket car camping, haven't brought one on the motorcycle but your solution is pretty brilliant.

Just a thought but - have you ever considered using one of your buckets to rinse off BEFORE getting into water shared with other people?

I love all your pictures and I hope to visit some of the springs you describe sometime!
  6. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jenn,

Yep- you're right:

1. I should rinse off first- I'm new to hot springs- and rinsing makes so much sense.

2. I instantly regret when I write obtuse, vaguely sexist, stupid comments- I apologize, especially since she was a really nice lady. Geez, now I feel really bad. I'm just wanting for the French guys to start firing on me.

Thanks for your feedback- I'm living and learning... it's just taking me a really long time.
  7. Jenn

Jenn praise seitan!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your response - I'm glad you took my words the way I intended - now we can soak together! :evil
  8. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would love too! You'd love my library- I just bought and received 5 additional hot spring guides to add to the three I already have. I'm hooked.
  9. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR! Weird request, could you post a picture with all of your hot springs books? Would like to see what ones I have and need? Thanks
  10. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done. Wonderful adventure.
  11. Jenn

Jenn praise seitan!

Oddometer:
    There aren't many good Hot Springs books --
    Touring California & Nevada Hot Springs
    Hot Springs & Hot Pools of the Southwest (which includes N California - go figure)

Also recommend Pancho Doll's "Day Trips with Splash" for swimming holes

And... check out Woodschick's Ride Reports -- she also goes to a LOT of hot springs in CA/NV.
  12. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'll checkout that RR.
  13. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Rockrider- here's my collection minus one- the one we used on our trip: Hot Springs and Hot Pools of the Southwest by Marjorie Gersh-Young it was very useful.

The Falcon guide of the Pacific Northwest is really nice- lots of color pictures and a ton of information. All the guides include GPS coordinates.

Go get 'em!
    [​IMG]
  14. 2eddies

2eddies I'm not here.

Oddometer:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico, Rocky Mountains, USA
    Enjoyed this! So in partial repayment forward here is a link to the GPS coordinates to over 70 hot springs in New Mexico. A few are commercial spots in villages. Most are out in the wild, some are more attractive than others, some you will need to hike in, some are clothing optional. But there is nothing like sitting in a natural hot spring as snow flakes fall or at the end of a day riding moto. More details are available at Google by entering "New Mexico hot springs".

http://www.hotspringsenthusiast.com/newmexico.asp
  15. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow!!!!! That's really, really generous of you- I've got New Mexico on my radar.
  16. Jenn

Jenn praise seitan!

Oddometer:
    That Hot Springs Enthusiast is a good website!

Check out Guadalupe Canyon, too - it's just over the border from San Diego, south of Tecate -- great camp sites with private hot tubs, hikes up the mountain to see waterfalls. It abuts a national park (west of the canyon) and a giant dry lake bed that is SO much fun to ride on a motorcycle!

http://guadalupecanyonoasis.com/
  17. 2eddies

2eddies I'm not here.

Oddometer:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico, Rocky Mountains, USA
    Jenn, that would be NEW Mexico, USA...not Mexico...
  18. PinkPillion

PinkPillion Husqy pilot too...

Oddometer:
    Superb report CONKSO.
    I love a good current NV hot spring report. Definitely bookmarking this thread for future reference!
    Thanks for sharing.
    :clap
  19. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey PinkPillion- I just noticed that you guys did a ride through Black Rock Desert- and knowing that's a hot spring area I checked out your RR- DUDE... super cool photos of springs in your report.

And this...

"I ate it face first in the dirt. I got up with my belly scuffed up, and no broken nails."

You'd get along well with my girlfriend- she rides her own bike but she's always complaining how gloves/boots mess up her mani/pedis.

Gonna finish reading your RR- glad my post was helpful.
  20. NotSoSmart

NotSoSmart n00b

Oddometer:
    CONKSO - Great RR....that's a trip I need to put on my bucket list. Can you tell me about your tires? They look similar to my 80/20 road/off road tires I have on my GS. I know riding in the sand and silt sucks, but how did they do otherwise off the tarmac?