10 Hot Springs in 7 Days: Dodging Naked Hippies in Central Nevada

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by CONKSO, Mar 31, 2015.

1. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed your report. You gave me a couple of new hot springs to add to my list that I wasn't aware of. Thanks! :thumb
  2. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent trip report; thank you.

These remote hot springs are fascinating.
  3. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Rinty,

I had the stock '13 DL650 tire up front- I think's it's called a BattleAXE (drinking coffee like a lazy ass right now or I'd go to the garage and check it) and I aired it (actually I CO2-ed it up, I've got a powertank setup since it's so hard to find actual gas stations that can air things up properly anymore) up to spec PSI - I think 36 psi, or 42? something like that on front and rear.

The rear tire was a Pilot Road 3. I thought that this trip would finish off the front tire but I checked it when I got back and it still had tread. It is however wearing a little strangely- so I may just buy a matching front for the Pilot Road.

I was really nervous about slicing the tire open on some of very rocky roads. One two separate occasions we were warned by locals who lived out there that the roads can eat up tires. We rode pretty slow to watch for sharp rocks.

I think the tires did well for the trip. Maybe we had dumb luck but we had no flats or punctures. On the dirt roads they were no problem at all- in the sand, as with any large bike on high psi tires, the bikes were a handful- not fun at all. But that was the tradeoff for hauling all that gear and for ripping the twisties we found in the passes.

Go do that trip- it was awesome!
  4. zman-2002

zman-2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report and v strom! I have the same one in the same color:D Question for you, what brand of panniers do you have and how are they holding up?

Thanks
  5. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Excellent Report :freaky
  6. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are Nelson Rigg Survivor Series panniers with Precision Motorcycyle Racks (made in San Diego) underneath them. The panniers were pretty cheap and they worked great.

I cranked them tightly to the racks and I did not take it easy on them at all the whole trip. They didn't rip or tear and they didn't bounce around. I really liked them.

I cut plastic waste baskets to fit inside of them and these became bonus buckets that were super useful around camp. I've very happy with them and will continue to use them.

They're also water proof.
  7. zman-2002

zman-2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, great review of the bags and racks. I'll be ordering them soon, at least I have a lockable top box for now.
  8. Motoaway

Motoaway n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, this is little brother... But I wanted to share something about our tires. I got a brand new set of Pilot Road 4 Trail tires before our trip because I thought we would be mostly on long highways. I spent a long time fighting my ego who wanted fat knobby badass big bike dual sport tires. In the end we not only covered long highway miles, but we powered over lots of dirt. Gravel roads, dirt, old mud, light sand, and soggy marsh. The tires were never the problem. Rider error and a big bike caused me to crash twice in the dirt. Bruised ego. Nothing that knobbies would have fixed.

So, my new philosophy is that I'm probably not going to ride anywhere on my big tiger 1200 that requires knobbies. These Road 4 tires ride smooth and wear long. They eat up pavement and were just fine on all the dirt roads we found. And when I want to explore the real nasty outdoors, I'd probably ride a plated dirt bike.
  9. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good job on the ride report - looks like a great trip!
  10. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Great RR - thanks for sharing :clap
  11. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
    Conkso, thanks for taking the time to write that up. Great RR.
  12. Jenn

Jenn praise seitan!

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know that. My recommendation was unrelated to the book but to proximity to San Diego. :D
  13. mediaguy

mediaguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report. Interesting enough to read it to the end. Looking forward to the next one.:D
  14. XRayTed

XRayTed Fresh Sprocket

Oddometer:
    Great idea having a purpose for your ride. Got me thinking about linking swimming holes, ghost towns, mines, battlefields...
  15. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I liked having a mission, it got my ADD brother to focus a little better... which made it easier for me to drift off into moto-la-la land. Would love to hear about your plan- I'm trying to figure out my next ride.
  16. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mediaguy- I just found out that I have the whole month of June and part of July completely open... trying to figure out where I want to go next... Idaho sounds interesting.
  17. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your storytelling and pics. Thanks for posting.
  18. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    Probably don't need knobbies as they can be loud on long stretches of highway but lowering your tire pressure to about half of street pressure while off-road does wonders. Good small reliable compressors designed specifically for bikes make it possible. My personal favorite is the one from Motopumps.

Loved the trip. NV is on my radar. Now to go peruse that link to NM hot springs a page back....
  19. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report. Anything that says Nevada in the title draws my attention this time of year as I plan my June big ride.

I enjoyed your writing and pictures. Many of those hot springs are ones I have seen on the map and want to see in person. I know that road around the south end of the Ruby Range is silty!!

A couple suggestions next time you are up in northern NV.
    1. Check out Lamoille Canyon. It is an awesome road up into the Ruby Mountains from near Elko. Angel Lake is no slouch either over near Wells.
    2. Eat at the Pony Express Deli in Eureka.
    3. Ride over some of those mountain ranges rather than around them. That is where the fun is at. Of course this is easier on a smaller bike.
    Carry on!