10 k Service

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 990, Mar 24, 2013.

1. 990

990 Krap To Maintain

Oddometer:
    Came to pay for my 10 k service and the price was almost twice the price of the quote for the service. Bmw decided to replace the air filter and replace the break fluid. They also put a thin cable tie (zip tie) on my key with the reg number on so and I thought I could just snap it off and ended up breaking the key. No the piece at the back does not have metal under the plastic - bummer :eek1
  2. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Well changing break fluid is part of the annual inspection - not involved in the 10k service. My air filter has been changed during the 20k service. Maybe you rode too much dirt so that they had to change it.
    For the key it is a bummer but you can feel that there is no metal at the back side and I never managed to snap a zip tie off o0.

How much did you end up paying? For my 20k service (with air filter and annual service) I paid 200€ so that should be around 260$?
  3. 990

990 Krap To Maintain

Oddometer:
    I'm in South Africa and and if you convert Rands to dollars it's about $230 so its about the same. The two charges that irritate me are $20 to adjust the chain and charge the battery. I just had the chain adjusted when I put a K60 on at KTM (no BMW deal in our town). But hey it's only money.
  4. Loutre

Oddometer:
    20$ to adjust the chain and charge the battery? WTF? well maybe they always charge that but put it in the 'maintenance time' so that people don't f*ck about it. What got me off was 5.40€ for cleaning and greasing <- should also be about the chain but for 5.40 I can get a whole can of grease and my chain is never not greased so f*ck that.
  5. Jays-f800gs

Jays-f800gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should take a break and go change my "Brake" fluid.:D
  6. Loutre

Oddometer:
    you say tomato, I say tomahto :lol3 it's like quite and quiet.... what a messed up language, n'est-ce pas :D
  7. toniguedes

toniguedes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here in Brazil I've paid about usd 495 for the 10k service.
    Besides the brake fluid, air filter and motor oil, the rear brake pads were also replaced.

I found it very expensive! :huh
  8. Loutre

Oddometer:
    rear brake pads at 10k? how are you driving that bike mate? :huh
  9. toniguedes

toniguedes Adventurer

Oddometer:

Actually it was at 8.5k:norton
    I belive that's because I use my bike mostly for daily commute under heavy traffic at urban areas... but maybe I'm doing something wrong.:evil
  10. 990

990 Krap To Maintain

Oddometer:
    Shoo that sounds hectic mate just changed his pads on a 1200 at 40 k. My rear brake fluid was dark but that's how it was from new. Its a very light color now so it was changed. I only use back breaks in a pinch on the tar and to change direction on the gravel but the pads look almost new. Check your rotor if its worn then you might be riding your back break?
  11. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any reason you don't want to do the service in the future yourself? This might be motivation to do it!

But I also know that some people don't have the time, space, and tools which might be your situation... But its fun! I learn something every time I work on a vehicle. I also trust my bike more with my work. Now go ride!:clap
  12. 990

990 Krap To Maintain

Oddometer:
    I would like nothing better, I have had a quite a few scary dealings with dealers (yoke bolts left loose etc) but in SA if you service your own bike the warranty falls away........ I always check all the bolts when someone has worked on my bike
  13. Loutre

Oddometer:
    know that feeling... happily mine expires in 3 months so the fun part can start. Planning on doing my last service to BMW there (30.000kms) just in case something can still be taken under warranty and then off we go flying with my own wings :lol3. I mean this forum is filled with everything you need :clap
  14. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of $250 services could buy all the tools you need to completely disassemble Johnny-5...

I recommend wrenching your own to everyone I ride with. When on the trail, you'll come to appreciate the familiarity of knowing how your machine ticks.
  15. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer.. :puke1
  16. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    There's nothing like the satisfaction of working on your own bike and thinking about how to spend the cash you saved. Shiny tools, more farkles, another case of cheer....

OTOH, as a BMW Tech (briefly) I've seen many customers bikes which have sufferred greatly in their owners hands. A husband and wife team came in with their GS's for service one day. Hubby was bragging about all the service he'd done to them. I took him aside and whispered "Are you trying to kill your wife?" Then explained what loose parts and forgotten steps I found.

Bottom line, wrenching things is fun and a great way to learn but maybe your bike is not the best way to learn the basics if you're inexperienced. Know your limitations and get help if needed. Or at the very least, only work on your own bike. :D
  17. 990

990 Krap To Maintain

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean, I suffer from mechanical dyslexia or as my mate puts it "fix it till its broken". I like taking my bike to the KTM agent because he is a mate of mine, and he lets me stand and watch as her strips and assembles my bike. I always read the forum on certain procedures so I can tell him what to do IE the ABS sensor when he changed my front tyre but as far as working on my bike its " strip and a half a turn back":lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  18. nomadb

nomadb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well here is my experience;
    The bike was serviced last year at the dealer for 1.000km service.
    AT 8.500 km the service sign came up, be cause it was over a year.
    I have tried setting an appointment with the local BMW but I was not able to reach at their service department. Later on I was told they had a problem with the phones.

On the youtube I have found the link for the oil change and the air filter change. Literaly it is so easy on F800GS, I decided to do it my self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O39K0BPDzk

Only hassle was to get the oil filter out. I couldn't locate ant special tools for it. So I have done it with a good old pipe wrench.
    I have used a castrol 10-40W 3 litres was put in. (cost 40USD)
    I have changed the crusher washer (cost 1 USD)
    I have preferred to use the BMW oil filter (23USD)
    The air filter was in good condition so I did not change it.
    The whole cost so far is 64USD. :D

I was carefull while putting the new oil filter. First oiled the gasket of the new filter. I have went as far as I can with hands. Than turned it with the wrench around 3/4 of a turn. This should be enough. (I would have preferred the K&N but it was not available).

I will get the brake fluids done professionally. My thrusty mechanic should be able to do that.

And I need to set the service interval on the ODO. For which you need a special tool from this guys. 300USD, No, Thanks! :huh
    http://www.gs911usa.com/