10 miles in 10 months. Change oil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by basstodave, Aug 17, 2019.

1. basstodave

basstodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up a used 2018 R1200R with 800 miles on it. It had the break in service with Advantec oil done in Oct. 2018 and has not been ridden since. That is 10 months. Should I change the oil before I start riding? Science only please. lol I know the usual canards. Oil is cheap. Be safe, what the heck.
    While I'm on it should I bother with a one year service at the dealer in October 2019? I will only put on maybe 2000 miles?
    Thanks
  2. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes change the oil

Ride MORE
    basstodave likes this.
  3. basstodave

Oddometer:
    I'm a desert dweller, too, VX. Do you think it OK to use Mobil 1 racing 4t 10w-40 instead of the BMW spec of 5w-40? I have 4 quarts of the Mobil unused on a shelf.
  4. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    personally I’d ride it if I was positive the oil and FD had been changed 10/18. then maybe change it at the end of this riding season, or if you don’t have a “riding season” then some time / mileage down the road. I definitely wouldn’t take it to the dealer for a 6000/12000 mile service with only 3000 miles on it. Really depends on where and how you ride, and how many miles you’ll accumulate in a year. If you’re riding regularly and getting oil temps up to burn off moisture the oil is not going to “spoil.” And we need pics of the new ride please.
    kantuckid likes this.
  5. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why wold you even consider changing oil that has been ridden for only 10 miles? It's practically brand new.

As for the "annual" dealer service - this has got be a BMW cash flow invention. Most service interval are distance-based. Apparently BMW dealers are not happy with the average yearly mileage of their customers ... or have their bikes become even less reliable and now break even without being ridden :-))))))
    MrVvrroomm, ozmoses and kantuckid like this.
  6. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me it would depend on how was the bike laid up for that year. If it's just been sitting untouched for a year the clean oil didn't go bad and you're fine. If it's been started and just let idle "often" w/o riding it, I'd change the oil. All engines that burn gasoline create water as an exhaust gas(vapor) byproduct that gets blown past the rings and into the crankcase. In normal use that moisture gets cooked off and goes out the crankcase breather when the motor(oil) is run at full operating temp for a few miles. If the previous owner just often started and let it idle in the garage w/o riding it, it never got up to full operating temp and the moisture/condensation can/will accumulate. No in just a year you won't end up with a pint of accumulated water in the oil, but some. How much? Dunno but to check you'll need to drain the oil anyway so you may as well replace it with fresh if you bother checking. Or just trust the seller on how he says he stored the bike. In any case it's not going to be an immediate short term critical engine issue so you're fine just riding it as is and don't over think it. But the above is some "real science" on internal combustions engines. It's your call.
    MannyUrrego likes this.
  7. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No need to change it, it's still brand new oil.
    MrVvrroomm, vector6, tire joe and 2 others like this.
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    My personal opinion regarding changing that oil:

spanky money.gif

But you will NEVER get a definitive answer, because there really isn't one.

Very little difference between a 10-40 and a 5-40. A 10-40 is an oil with a 10w viscosity that behaves as a 40w at temp. A 5-40 is an oil with a 5w viscosity that behaves like a 40w at temp. Once at operating temp both are lubricating like a 40w. You won't get cold enough where you are to really need either a 5w or 10w oil at startup.
    dtysdalx2 and kantuckid like this.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    unless its been under water, ride it
  10. basstodave

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the 'science'. I'm going to ride it, it was stored indoors, temp controlled.
  11. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because if you're using synthetic oil it starts to break down after a year.

Better to spend a few $ changing the oil than have oil that may not perform as-designed.

Re using an oil spec'd differently than the manufacturer's recommendations, you're jeopardizing your warranty--EVEN IF the change is done by the dealer. The warranty is from the manufacturer, NOT the dealer.
  12. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    "syn oil starts to break down after one year"...
    What is Advantec oil? :dunno
  13. RetiredandRiding

Oddometer:
    The actual statement was "... if you're using synthetic oil it starts to break down after a year."

Advantec oil is made from natural gas, NOT ancient dinosaurs, etc. and is therefore NOT a mineral oil. Is it synthetic? I'm not a chem eng, so I didn't know... though I can use an Internet search engine.

YES, it is, according to https://www.quora.com/How-is-synthetic-oil-made-from-natural-gas

A simple helpful statement would've been better than snark.
  14. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    You know, cause the oil one buys couldn’t possibly be sitting in a tank, around a warehouse, in a shop for any less than a few hours. I hear they go out every morning and milk dinosaurs before the sun comes up...
    sieg, gen1fizzy, CaseyJones and 5 others like this.
  15. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    no oil was ever made from "dinosaurs". the source is pelagic deposition. I have twice been told by oil reps (at industry tech meetings) that oil is only good for 4 years. I have asked them to show me an oil related failure due to old oil. they couldn't do it. now this is "used" oil, but..... really?
  16. RetiredandRiding

Oddometer:
    Re "dinosaurs, etc." look up "hyperbole". Ever heard the term "dino oil" substituted for "mineral oil"?

@mnmlst: I'm pretty sure that's once it's in an engine and used. What I do know is it's what the manufacturers recommend, whether or not you use a dealership to change it. Since the bike's still under warranty, it's best to follow their recommendations so as not to jeopardize the warranty.

Personally, I don't care what he does, but there's a lot of BS "information" on this and other threads that are opinions presented as facts.
  17. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like this?:

While synthetic oil has a 5 year shelf life, and even that is debated, I have never been aware, nor can I find definitive confirmation, that it breaks down after one year.
  18. RetiredandRiding

Oddometer:
    As I said, oz, it's what the manufacturers recommend once it's out of the bottle and in an engine. It's NOT my opinion.
    MannyUrrego likes this.
  19. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Cheap insurance.
  20. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    22C3F457-9CF4-42A9-88AD-B29F9EF42679.gif