$10 Trail Jack aka Quick Jack

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mromo98, Sep 1, 2007.

1. mromo98

mromo98 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted this over at KLR650.net but you guys deserve this too!!

So I searched and searched for a quickjack for sale online and could not find anything for as cheap as i wanted so i decided to build my own. Here are the instructions and parts for the build.

Walmart cane and "heavy duty tool holder"

The cane was about $9 and the hook was about $1.50

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first thing i did was take apart the cane to see what i had to work with.
    [​IMG]

Next I removed the rubber leg and sawed about 1/3 of the end off. (Dont saw the end off with the spring loaded pin!)
    [​IMG]

Next i sawed the top of the cane off, again about 1/3 or more, you could saw all the way down to just above the first pin hole if you wanted.
    [​IMG]

I then made two cuts and used some pliers to make a round groove for the hook to fit into.
    [​IMG]

I used some old inner tube from a road bike and some electrical tape to make the bottom of the hook wider for a tight fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The finished product!!
    [​IMG]

Lifting the rear:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the front. (If you do not have the crash bars you could use the frame in the front, though you may have to make the jack shorter)
    [​IMG]
    Skinny Jones likes this.
  2. Oldrice

Oldrice oldrice.com

Oddometer:
    Huh. wow. and it's only $11 (+/-)

Prettyy innovative if you ask me. I've been building my tool kit lately too. This was on the list. Thanks for saving me some dinero!

Oldrice-
    www.oldrice.com/KLR650.htm
  3. mromo98

mromo98 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problem, That is what KLRs are all about, denero or lack thereof.
  4. The Ragman

The Ragman Uralist & Bulleteer

Oddometer:
    That is a very good innovation. I will make a couple - one for the TW, and one for the Ural.
  5. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant!:clap
  6. RSL

RSL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the knurled thingy on the bottom of the cane twist-tighten so you can fine tune the length, or are you stuck using just the holes as length adjusters?
  7. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does twist tighten, but I wouldn't trust it to hold the cane at any certain length once weight has been put on it.

8. owtcast

owtcast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll bet you could move the cane foot closer or farther away from the bike a little to fine tune the length.:evil Sweet idea. Compact too!
  9. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    :dunno :lol3 your stick looks better than mine :lol3

[​IMG]
  10. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    There was a similar write up on one of the KLR forums using a wally world cane that has a more horizontal grip.. I did that one, doesn't require anything but the cane and the grip has a depression in it that is just perfect for sitting under the frame. Works on KLR, DR and XT just fine.

Cool enhancemnt with the tool holder though, probably a more secure that way.
  11. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    I made one a month ago based on this thread, works great! Thanks! I just need to fine tune the threaded end of the tool holder so it doesn't fall out when I have the jack mounted on the bike.

Speaking of mounting, has anyone found small tool holder type clips for something of this diameter?
  12. RSL

RSL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not adapt this idea for dual use: Works as jack per this thread, but can also be used as mechanism to adjust variable windscreen, which could also be the normal place to carry it.

Whatdya think?

And, speaking of dual use, what other uses could be adapt this gizmo for? Highly leveraged tire iron? Grab bar for passenger? For camping, why not use one of those adjustable walking sticks for this purpose, which also acts as a tent pole, etc.?

(just brainstorming about adaptable uses for a telescoping pole)
  13. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Swiss Gear tent I found at Walmart this Spring on closeout for $11, one person, that uses an extendable walking stick for the pole. Not a very confy tent but your pole suggestion put to use. Pole can be taken out for day use without taking down the tent. FWIW
  14. the kaz

the kaz has become "FERAL"

Oddometer:
    that is WAY better than useing tree parts like I have been :D
    Excellent idea !!!!!!!!!!!
  15. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    KLR Farkle Engineering Rox :D
  16. RSL

RSL Long timer

Oddometer:
    What if, instead of putting the forked end on a Wally walking cane, you used a Wally hiker's telescoping adjustable walking stick with wrist loop?

Then, could you not use the wrist loop around, say, the handle bar to hold the front of the bike off the ground? Secure the wrist loop around the upper rear frame to hold the rear of the bike up.

Then, you'd have the walking stick for multiple use as as tent pole, for walking, etc.. Comes in 2-pack for ~$20.

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cach...61+Walmart+SwissGear&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us
  17. kenk

kenk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great idea. I just used mine for chain maintenance. Makes it a breeze. I also tried it on my Ducati Multistrada....works, but the Multi is quite a bit heavier when lifting the rear end and pushing the jack under with my foot.

Ken
  18. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    Just to help clarify this thread, would one or more of all y'all describe how to use the prop to get the rear wheel off the ground? The variety of techniques may not be obvious to all. The pix of the bikes show what the end result is but not how it got there. And it might be helpful to know that the front brake lever is secured in the activated position somehow so that the bike doesnt roll away inadvertantly.

And, maybe, the more clear and definitive of the posts might get sticky'd in the hall of wisdom along with the tire bustin' info.

Jus' tryin' to be helpful here...
  19. RSL

RSL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, if you used the walking stick with wrist loop trick, and set the stick to approximate correct length with wrist loop tight to the upper frame, you could simply rock the bike over a few degrees on its kickstand. This would drag the tip of the walking stick along, so as to leave the wheel off the ground when you release the bike.

If using the forked walking cane trick per original post, you could snug the cane into position, push on the upper frame from the right side so as to pivot the rear of the bike up on the kickstand, then nudge the walking cane into place with your hand or foot. Or, simply tie or bungie the forked end of the can to the bike and rock up into place as per paragraph above.

The wheel only needs to clear the ground by a bit, so you can either remove the wheel (for tire change, etc.) or rotate it (for chain lube).
  20. RSL

RSL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looked at WalMart hiker's walking sticks, with telescoping shaft, shock absorber, wrist strap, ergonomic handle, and built-in compass. Two for $15.

This should work as a wheel jack, if the stick is secured to the bike by the wrist strap.