1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

10 years on... i want to get on KTM. 990 Asking for 900 Advice

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by tooofast, Oct 8, 2018.

1. tooofast

tooofast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So don’t get me wrong. I love my GS’s but a decade ago I had a KTM 640 Adventure and I still miss it like pirate misses his leg. Is that itch you can't scratch, that long lost love that comes back to you on a warm summer's afternoon, just for a moment, that leaves you wanting again for days… trying and fill the void I was looking at a Honda Africa Twin.. then a 990 went by the dealer and I almost chased the guy down on foot. OK I need a KTM again.

There is something about the 990 in the way it look that really does it for me. Am I insane? Should I be looking at another model? It’s going to be an easy desert riding, high altitude desert trails, some camping along the way kind of a thing. no more than 2-300 mile days. Im old and my real hardcore days are behind me with buckets of plates and pins in my bones. I just want to have something that’s a more raw experience than the GS’s again. i want big knobbies and the LC motor asking me to crack the throttle more and more and more.....

So my question is regards to the model years and changes in the 990 line up. I have been looking from 2008 to 2015 at used ones on Cycle trader and they all seem to be pretty alike from the ads but I can imagine there are a bunch of changes, is there a listing where I can find the changes by year? I had a ride on a 1190 and a 1290 when we went to Glacier last month but although they had the feeling I wanted (the 1190 more so) the lines did not grab me like the 990.

I did love all the riding modes and played with them a bunch on the fire trails , do the 990's have anything like that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
  2. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
  3. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any sensitive throttle issues you may read about can be fixed by a cheap cable (buy or build yourself), free software and free maps. 2013 was the last model year. R models have taller suspension and associated seat height for more offroad hooliganism which may not matter to you.

990s are "old school" fuel injected - I guess there is such a thing nowadays. No riding modes and no electronic aides. The 2013 doesn't even have ABS.

I love the look of my 990 and I do think mine looks better than the newer crop of bikes.
  4. desert sky

desert sky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try to find an 013 Baja model. No ABS, no TC, no ESA. The essence. And the last of the breed.
    Moose Dog likes this.
  5. zodillyicous

zodillyicous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing bikes. Can be quirky and not the easiest to work on but all that fades when you take it for a rip in the dirt. I rode a buddies and then had to get one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    desert sky likes this.
  6. JdFan

JdFan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2010 990 has only 2 riding modes, both controlled by a twist of your right hand. But I'm with you, after 7 years of owning it the look of the 990 still make me smile.
    Mr Head, Crazygreek and sonoran like this.
  7. tooofast

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, that all great info. There are a couple for sale in the fleamarket that i am eyeing too. What kind of range do you get on the stock tanks ? Also there are some with 20k,30k, 40k miles on them, at what point does mileage become a concern on the LC8 motor, in general that is.

Thanks
    Dave
  8. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
  9. tooofast

Oddometer:
  10. mutt550

mutt550 restless soul

Oddometer:
    28xxxx miles on my 2013 990 and she is running like a top!!! I love this thing it makes me smile like and idiot ever time I give the throttle a big twist..... Love the song that the big girl sings to me......
    desert sky and Crazygreek like this.
  11. JdFan

JdFan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get about 180-200 miles per tank as low as 170, but I was riding like I stole it. I have 23,000 on mine and never had any issues of any type.
  12. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Personally I would consider any 2010 or later 990. There were a number of pretty significant changes between 2007 and 2009 including the dash, forks and efi systems, but everything was pretty well sorted by 2010. An '09 might be fine, but I don't have any personal experience with it (I do with the '08-10-11-12).
    JohnnyWaffles likes this.
  13. cbmind

cbmind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2012 KTM 990 ADV R owner here. My bike's listed. PM me if you want. I love mine. My first bike of that size and breed. I agree with the above, no issues, reliable bike. Everything you need, nothing you don't. About as right andnfast as you can be on this class of bike. You won't regret it.
    Crazygreek and JohnnyWaffles like this.
  14. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't overlook the 950's.
    Dennis Walter likes this.
  15. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    '06 950 here - last of the carbed version and black (the fastest colour).
    Just turned over 67,000kms and still pulling strong. Best is, it puts a smile on my face whenever I ride it.
    Tomorrow I'm riding it to work, and I'm already smiling thinking about firing it up and listening to the Wings exhaust barking....not many bike do that.

Get one. Ride it. Smile. Repeat.

m.
    FlyingPenguin, cbmind and nk14zp like this.
  16. szramer

szramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    waat? shit I'm getting light on at 130 max 160 at 55-60mph :D , doin something wrong I guess :photog must be that hardcore mapping :rofl
  17. zodillyicous

zodillyicous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This video is pretty long and not me but one of my favorite 9x0 videos that should convince you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. JdFan

JdFan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got Rott Intake, 2 into 1, SAS delete (Stage 2) with Rotti's MAP for those changes. More power & better MPG's...I can't explain it, but I'm loving it.
  19. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie

Oddometer:
    My 2010 990R is currently down after swallowing something that didn't agree with it.
    A valve.

74,000 miles.
    I'm fixing it, well having it fixed. Then I'll ride it until I can't climb onto the seat anymore.

During my last trip of 4,300 miles or so I was banging off 50 mpg quite often. Back when I worked and commuted I would get around 43 mpg, most of that fast freeway and on/off throttle panic braking.
    Yeah, the usual Southern California commute.

I put 200,000 miles on a 2004 1150 Adventure. That was OK for freeway, but a fat big to move around. Comfy though. Great saddle.

The stock seat on my 990R is fine. I've gotten used to it.

And no, I have no idea why it broke. My best guess is the valve stuck in the guide, but so far there is no indication of why that would have happened.
    I'm looking forward to having it back.
  20. szramer

szramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    email me your map i
    might give shot