100,000 mile K3 V-Strom report

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by wera688, Mar 22, 2008.

1. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Love these high mileage maintenance reports. The guy that is el pres of the FSSCOA had a KLR650 with over 100K miles on it and I was amazed with his report on it also. :clap :clap :clap

Way to go. :freaky I'm not getting near the tire mileage that you are and I'm an old slow fart. What's the scoop :1drink I got 7K miles off the oem to slick and 10K off the tourance to slick spots. Put a Tourance back on.
  2. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
    A lot of tire mileage will depand on the road construction in the area that you live in, concrete vs asphalt and the actual make up of the road surface itself!!
  3. SaPPeR

SaPPeR Equal Opportunity Hater

Oddometer:
    :thumb Good Stuff !!!! :ricky
  4. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    I believe that tire mileage is based on a few factors. Since we dont have 150hp, most people aren't spinning up the rear tire on the Strom while on the street. I personally believe that tire pressures and suspension set up is the key to a good tire life. Also if you have a grippier/stickier type of tire (such as the Tourance EXP and the Dunlop) the mileage will be much less than a harder type tire ("old" Tourances). I run 36 psi front and 41 psi rear on the Tourances. By having a set up suspension based on riders weight, riding style, etc setting the sag and the correct spring rates along with the proper fork oil and levels are the key. My rear shock is stock and its shot. I have it the highest it can go. I'll probably get a triple clicker Penske like what's on my race bike. I firmly believe in a shock with a ride height adjustment. Also my front forks are lowered anywhere between 5 and 11 mm in the triples. This also helps for a quicker front turn in.
  5. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    :nod
    Yeah, so do I.
    Do the Japanese know how to build a bad engine? :nah
    Nice writeup. It's good to know these bikes can handle all the miles with aplomb. :thumb
  6. bmwrider

bmwrider n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm almost halfway there with a little over 45,000 miles on my 2002. The tires I've liked the best so far are the Dunlop D607s. I just put on a rear Bridgestone Battlewing. I got just over 7500 miles out of the D607. The front 607 still has probably 4000 miles left in it. I've only had a couple of small problems with my bike. So far it has been the best bike I've owned in 13 years.
  7. Rider

Oddometer:
    Dood. You stole my old name. :cry
  8. McB

McB Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer:
    You're handling it with a plum.
  9. NextRide

NextRide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great write-up!

I'm glad to hear this kind of news. I bought my DL1K4 last May with 41K on the clock. I plan on putting at least that many more on it.
  10. Rider

Oddometer:
    :photog :lol3 :lol2
  11. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry The most suave of stooges

Oddometer:
    Well, 100K is a good goal to shoot for now that I know it can be done without too many problems.

I've got just over 53K on my 2004 Wee-Strom and my maintenance reports reads about the same.
  12. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome! :thumb
  13. csturboz

csturboz n00b

Oddometer:
    This makes me glad i never got my test ride on the versys... And bought my wee instead.....
  14. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    have u ever replaced the cam chains/tensioners/guides?

if so at what mileage?
  15. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice writeup, wera. Bet you're regretting the money you pissed away on the extended warranty, huh. :1drink
  16. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Congrats Kith! That is a true testament to your Vstrom there!
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    That's an interesting conclusion considering that a Vee and Wee engines have only a little more in common than the Vee and Versys do... I'm not saying that a Wee can or will not be as reliable, just that the historical performance of the 1000cc engine has nothing to do with what you should expect on the 650 version as they are completely different. :deal

Mine has only 60K miles but other than going through tires and chain/sprockets more frequently :augie , it seems to follow that same trend.

Gustavo
  18. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    He's just finding some affirmation that he bought a great bike.

The inverse is when a Harley guy asks me how much I paid for my bike and then sees I don't go through cam bearings, motor mounts and exhaust weld cracks. My buddy with his Harley just had the transmission freeze in 5th gear while on a trip which ended in a trailer. I wouldn't be suprised if after he fixes it for the last time he goes with a Jap model. The bike has 60,000 miles and every problem has been during a trip. He takes good care of the bike but I guess its just a lemon.
  19. bmwrider

bmwrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry man I've had this handle or a variation for a long time.:wink: Of course I haven't had a BMW since I traded it in on the V-strom.:clap
  20. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    No, not yet. I dont hear any noise from that area yet.

well not yet :1drink I always buy the extended warranty because whatever I buy I use it for the long haul. For example, my $400/4 year H-D extended warranty (in 1991) covered close to $5000 of repairs over those years, it ended at 164K on the odo...and they HATED me with a passion:cry

I really like the looks of the Moto Guzzi Stelvio and actually I just bought my first Guzzi, t-shirt. I wonder if there is a connection?