100,000 mile K3 V-Strom report

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by wera688, Mar 22, 2008.

1. NateLePain

NateLePain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Without soundling like a pig (pun intended) is the V-Strom too big for getting dirty? Is the V-Strom better suited for Sport Touring?

Thanks! np
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Well,I guess my 06 1000 Strom with 12,000 on it is just about broken in.They do run like a smooth freight train,smoother then my 03 R1150R I had for 3 years . about the time the warranty was up on that one I sold it due to scary expensive problems while it was on warranty.Couldnt imagine me paying 3500.00 to fix a fairly new bike. The Strom just goes without a lot of factory suggested maintenance or problems. Congrats on the 100,000 mile mark!
  3. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put 40K in one year on a DL650. Really enjoyed the bike but wanted to start having a passenger more often and still have the power to go over mnt passes.

I bought a D1000 last year and really glad I made the upgrade.

Keep burning tread.

Does anyone have one of the new flat black DL1000. Saw one at the dealer the other day.
    Very cool. :evil
  4. Wild Will

Wild Will Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had my DL 650 for 20 months and just rolled 20K. I just moved to sunny New Mexico so I ride far more often now.

I am just gatting ready to replace the original factory rear tire...no joke it lasted 20k. The front will last another 15k (Trail Wings...they got my vote)
  5. csturboz

csturboz n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I didnt mean anything against the versys. In fact I get the pleasure of drooling over the happy trails versys every day they have it sitting outside as I work across the street from them.

Perhaps my reply would have been better off in the dl650 mileage report topic. However my expectations of the wee seem to follow along with this report AND the one in the 650 report of 83k. The vee/wee seems to be a proven bike. Im sure the versys is plenty reliable and cabable of many many miles. Just havent seen any real high milage reports on versys.. thats all..
  6. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
    Flat black is the 650ABS I thought, the black 1000's I saw at the bike show and the dealer were both glossy black and it didn't look good.
  7. ak bike

ak bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    re: sprocket change . I know its ideal to change the sprockets with the chain . Changed the chain (not sprockets) on my 750 nighthawk at 17 k. at 31 k all seemed well no spiky sprocket. Now I am looking at starting a ride in may from Portland to Alaska on my 2006 wee strom . original chain and sprocket. The bike has 16.5 k on it . The sprockets look good . Dealer say everything looks good. BUT thinking of sticking a new chain on in Portland . Sprockets and new chain later down the line . . Flawed thinking ?
  8. Clarkman

Clarkman Don't taze me bro.

Oddometer:
    The collective is amused and approves of this thread.
  9. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Burque Scott - Great avatar and location! :rofl
  10. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well now, this is some good news!! Bought my used 03 Strom with a bit of trepidation but couldn't take the failures of my 02 GSA anymore.... Have gradually come to LOVE this bike....it's becoming my buddy. Only 22k but she's been TOTALLY reliable with only oil changes and one sprocket/chain replacement. (The dogdamn tires tend to go away pretty fast going 85+ across Hwy 50 and/or out in the middle of Wyoming...:evil ) It HAS cost me a lot of money in farkles (:clap ) but still WAAAY cheaper so far as compared with the Beemer. Just gettin' ready to mount the Ohlin's!!!! :deal If they make a new Yeller 1000, I'm buying another (will keep the original) to have one in Oregon and one in CA where I work!!

:freaky
  11. ride-n-the world

ride-n-the world out of place adv rider

Oddometer:
    I'm loving the detailed report...thanks for posting it!!!!

This thread makes me giddy:deal :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :clap :clap :clap

On the flip side, I can't believe the Castrol Syntec 10x40 (full synthetic)....

So Your getting about 3,000 miles to that stuff?! Wow!
  12. scottie boy

scottie boy Homebrew Guru

Oddometer:
    Congrats on hitting 100K. Hopefully I'll get that kind of reliability out of mine. By the way, we need to meet someday. Especially, since we both work at the same place and have at least one common friend. Some big ugly guy from Carolina named Randy.:evil
  13. Vstromper

Vstromper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome!!!!

30k for me so far...
  14. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Awesome, congrats on a bike that's served you well! I have that exact same Vee, same color too, mine is new to me with 2k on the odo and I'm looking forward to as many trouble-free miles!
  15. EarlGrey

EarlGrey n00b

Oddometer:
    100,000 sounds prety good!
    So what sort of service advice would folks recommend, if I wanted to maximize the life of my 06 DL1000?
    What about 150,000? 200,000?

Synthetic oil? Certain Filters? Plugs? Ideal octane? Ideal Rpms? A few hail marys?

Thanks for any info!!

EarlGrey
    :wink:
  16. Superstar

Superstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride it every day.
    Follow the service schedule.
    Ride it every day.

:)
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Fixed. Now it's good advice. :lol3

Gustavo
  18. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
  19. clawspawn

clawspawn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride mine everyday andI think it does help nothing likes to sit the beast will get bored. Nice right up what about air filters I clean mine every 6 months.:clap
  20. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Yes, but it's not the only option. You can buy a large variety of springs and shocks for the V-Stroms, it seems everybody makes stuff for it. Mine has Sonic Springs and a Wilbers shock. Works really well.

I'm not sure what you expected to see, but the red pre-load handle is the only clue it has a different shock:
    [​IMG]

Gustavo