100,000 mile K3 V-Strom report

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by wera688, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    And yes.
  2. jagec

jagec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oil is a bit of a religion, but as long as it's the right grade and doesn't have any friction modifiers, you will never have an engine wear out due to problems with the oil. Synthetic allows you to extend your oil change interval and gets you slightly better mileage and a slicker shifting gearbox...that's about it. Me, I use Shell Rotella T 5W-40.

I use the zook filter. Anything but Fram should be fine.

Nothin' wrong with the OEM plugs. Change 'em out when the manual calls for it.

Regular. Anything else is a waste of money. I use Chevron because I believe in their additives package, but pretty much anything should work fine. The Stroms aren't very picky about gas.

Ideal RPMs? Well, don't romp on it until the engine is completely warm, that's the biggest piece of advice. An occassional foray to the redline isn't a bad idea...gets rid of carbon deposits, not to mention putting a grin on your face. If you are going for maximum life with no other factors, lower RPMs are your friend, but don't bog down the engine.

Japanese bikes don't need Hail Marys.
  3. mikek

mikek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Kith,

a VS riding buddy pointed me to this thread to show me how reliable the Senator's are, and I tell him 'hey I know Kith'.

Mike Kelly here, WERA V4 on the black beemer. Hope to get back out this year, been busy with getting along.

You've sure kept up with what the VS consumed, great write-up. Glad to see you NOT one of those 'any filter but FRAM' guys.....me too.
  4. Wrycque

Wrycque Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    The fix for that is to replace the Gear Position Sensor which is located inside the clutch cover, behind the clutch basket. It's about a $55 part. I'd list this under part failures, since the GPS fried.

From RonAyers.com
    Parts found with Part Number: 37730-06G00
    Description BASE ASSY,GEAR
    Price $54.95

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm...00_V-STROM/GroupID/268516/Group/GEAR_SHIFTING
  5. Scoop

Scoop runs with scissors

Oddometer:
    Forgive my ignorance, but why is Fram bad?
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ive used Frams in all sorts of vehicles and they sell tons of them,whats this, an urban legend around them being no good? How could they sell so many if thats the case?:ear
  7. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:

true, the 100K was done on 87 octane. Sometimes I'll put in some left over race fuel VP MR2 when I dont use it all at the track. The Strom loves that 'crack fuel' !!
  8. Durangoman

Durangoman Yeah its me!

Oddometer:
    Great report, must be a great bike.

Gas milage: what did you get new, midway and now?

Thanks
  9. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    my gas mileage has been about the same always. 38-39 mpg on windy or at constant 90 mph, 40-42 average riding, 43-44 on those great slow days of riding.

I think that my barn door windshield and the big 48 liter bags contribute to those low numbers, my Strom is not very streamlined to say the least.
  10. Scoop

Scoop runs with scissors

Oddometer:
    I have used them often as well. I was a heavy equipment mechanic for years and know filters well. Cut apart many kinds, including Fram. Never had a problem with them. I agree, I suspect it is urban legend.
  11. jagec

jagec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's one link...lower construction quality than the other guys. Sure, it'll probably work well 99 times out of 100, but for a $10 part that you replace every 10,000 miles or so, I'm willing to shell out the extra money for 99.9
  12. mofo62

mofo62 A minor nightmare

Oddometer:
    Just broke 2K on my 03Vee.:lol3 The guzzi is just hard to pass by as I choose the ride of the day.
  13. almost

almost b00b

Oddometer:
    Sweet post. Makes me more comfortable about buying one. Robert Pirsig would be proud.
  14. capriccio

capriccio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you mentioned Guzzi, check this out. A guzzista buys a new bike.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4d4801447e8484be23e54d675e88056c&topic=17085.0

The guy retires is Guzzis at about 250,000 miles, he never cleans them unless its to help a charity that uses bikini clad washers, in the thread there is a picture of his bike, his posting is good humor too.
  15. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Jagec, I usually use suzuki or hi-flo filters on my wee-strom, but you have to admit it is a bit ironic that you specifically mention not to use Fram Oil Filters on a thread where the dude put 100,000 virtually problem-free miles on his v-strom using only Fram filters. :thumbup Just saying...If anything, sounds like a good testimonial for cheap filters and cheap oil (castrol).

Personally, I did get over 200,000 miles on a 1991 Subaru Loyale using only Castrol dino 10w40, and had no engine issues whatsoever.
  16. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great post and great thread. Thanks very much.
  17. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Regardless of whether Fram filters are any good or not, that's some specious logic up there. Just because somebody sells a lot of something doesn't mean it's any good. I mean look, Britney Spears sells a lot of albums and she's horrible. People magazine has a lot of subscribers but it's just a trash rag.

Besides, what does the average person know about oil filters? People just buy them based on price. I think for the average person, quality never really enters the equation.

Note: I'm not making any judgment on Fram filters. They may be great, they may be crap, I don't know. Just pointing out that just because something is popular doesn't mean it's of high quality. :D
  18. Cale_Kat

Cale_Kat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised you haven't replaced the clutch basket. But maybe your "leftover" got the upgraded part. Most 02 and 03 V-Stroms have the chudder around 3k rpms. Mine had it, bought with 28k miles on it, and I did the basket shortly after.

The other issue with the 03s was a leaky clutch slave cylinder that was "fixed" with the addition of a seal (or boot).

Nice write-up. I'd like to think 100k is in my future.:clap
  19. Activmoto

Activmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the 100K Strom, and good write up. Amazing to see the mileage you get from the sprockets.

Ref. the T shirt, I joined the Guzzi T shirt owners club, I run 2 Guzzi T shirts and no problems so far :lol3

Steve
  20. beaste

beaste Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mY DL 650 IS VERY YOUNG AT 25000 KMS...MY BMW 1100 HAD A LITERNY OF ISSUES IN `140000KMS INCLUDING 4 HEAD GASKETS BROKEN FRAME PARTS ET AL.

NOT IMMPRESSED WITH BM BUT THE SUZUKI SEEMS TO BE LIKE ANY OTHER I HAVE OWNED....BRILLIANT:clap