100,000 mile K3 V-Strom report

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by wera688, Mar 22, 2008.

1. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    Kith recently done some work to his V Stroms clutch. He was thinking there might be a little slippage and it was very noisy. He installed one of my WERKS modified clutch baskets along with new clutch fiber plates ( reused the steels ). He was rather surprised at how much difference the modified clutch basket makes, and I was rather surprised at how little wear his clutch basket and discs had!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O2BFS7pYc_0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. OutThereRider

OutThereRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all, just became a member of this forum...however I've been reading for a few months. I just completed a deal on a higher mileage 2006 DL1000 after selling my somewhat-beloved 1999 Honda ST1100.
    How high?? The strom has just north of 76k km's/46k miles.
    I sold the ST as my next couple of tours will likely be in un-STable roads so an affordable adventure tourer was what I was after...and I think I found it!!!
    Bike comes all of the accessories for turn-key touring...and is a perfect fit as it's been lowered (front and rear) 1 inch and that is perfect for my 30" inseam and 5'9" height.

One of the attractive elements of this deal is that the seller is the original owner....which makes tracking the service history easy. Bike has been serviced at the recommended regular intervals....and looks great.

Can anyone here advise on what may be coming with a bike of that mileage?

Many members here seem to consider 40 - 50k miles not very high...and the 100k repot/testimonial of the first post in this thread played a role in my decision, to whom I thank for inspiring me to buck the fear of higher mileage strom.

As I live in Canada, I am now anxiously awaiting the break in this nasty version of winter and blast to places unknown on "my" new strom.

Looking forward to any comments you might have, and to reading this forum!
  3. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    You picked an old thread. That bike now has over 300,000 miles on it. Keep up the regular maintenance. I'd check to see is the axle rumbles when spinning a wheel off the ground or if the lock to lock steering with the front wheel off the ground is notchy. If so, replace the bearings. Cleaning and re-greasing the suspension linkage is something else I did.
  4. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    313,800 miles as of March 3, 2014. Still truckin along.
  5. mart´n

mart´n Viking

Oddometer:
    That´s great!
    Calculated to european kms, thats a little more than a half a million:clap

Hopefully you are never getting rid of it?
  6. Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès The Kanto Pain

Oddometer:
  7. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Kith did his 350,000 mile write-up - http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2002-2012/235306-350-000-mile-k3-dl1000-mile-writeup.html

8. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Nice!

Anything about the HP fuel filter? I assume it's drilled. Mine just plugged up after 60k on the SV.
  9. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
  10. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    Yes I installed the fuel filter modification as described. I went 40,000 on the first fuel filer and cut it open for inspection...it looked like new. The one installed now has 78,000 miles and seems to be fine. I'll dissect it when I replace it.
  11. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are most of your miles from a long daily commute? I bet you have some great stories from all those miles! Keep up the great job!

Tom
  12. NONAME13

NONAME13 NONAME13

Oddometer:
    This is my favorite post I really look forward to it having owned the wee and the Vee strom I'm pretty interested and may purchase another soon, after owning so many other bikes I'm allways going back to the usual perfect bike again .
  13. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    my daily commute is 54 miles round trip. I work about 220 days per year x 54 miles= 11,880 miles per year commuting.

my 4 wheel cage gets driven less than 1000 miles a year. Sometimes it doesnt get cranked up for weeks until it needs to go to the grocery store for provisions ...or Christmas shopping :)

I just like to ride. my other motorcycle has 362,500 miles on its odometer.
  14. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Something tells me the strom will be passing that very quickly! :lol3
  15. sprale

sprale Tu ne cede malis...

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's impressive. I don't doubt it, though. Other than consumables (fluids, filters, batteries, tires, chains, sprockets), I haven't had anything fail on my V-Strom. I had a Ford Exploder merge into me in highway traffic one day, but the heavy aluminum side cases did more damage to her door, and saved my leg! Then there was the time I dropped it, pinning my wife between me on the bike and her car in the garage...

I'm up to 55k miles now, and have been thinking about my next bike, but really want to see how far this thing will go. I'm commuting about 40 miles a day, and started from about 20k miles in late 2010 when I bought mine. I picked it up neglected for $3k! This bike is by far the most economical, even considering the lower fuel economy compared to some of my previous rides. I'm in Texas, so I attribute part of the reliability to never letting it sit, riding it nearly every day, year-round.

I might pick up a smaller bike eventually for off-road duty (I can't imagine trying to pick this thing up from a fall out in the wilderness!), but the V-Strom will be in my garage until it is dead beyond repair.
  16. BlueLghtning

Oddometer: