$1000 brand new semi-trials bike?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motodojo, May 24, 2019.

1. Old Plonker

Old Plonker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And for that I'm grateful, Norman. I am too. We shall see.
  2. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    I for one couldn't care less what forum this thread is posted in. I do know one thing: if the "real" trials riders in this thread are indicative of trials riding as a whole, I'm not interested in getting involved in their sport.

I see lots of bikes being referred to as enduro bikes, but I don't see enduro riders getting offended and demanding that anyone who calls their bike an enduro should enter a competition or go away.

I don't care if this thread gets moved to "battle scooters;" I'll go watch it there. That's where the Trail 90s are, and they are definitely not scooters.
    kvango, madmac333, Fallacy and 2 others like this.
  3. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Trail 90s, btw:

Trials90.jpg
    Nobade, 2whlrcr, slicktop and 3 others like this.
  4. Old Plonker

Old Plonker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Precisely!
    WECSOG likes this.
  5. Old Plonker

Old Plonker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's sweet! Does it compete in twin shock?

I bet that swingarm mounted rear brake lever is fun on rough downhills.
    WECSOG likes this.
  6. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    I don't know anything about it. Just a pic I remembered seeing.
  7. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone will love that one! Not Chinese and no seat. But mostly not Chinese.
    Old Plonker likes this.
  8. Old Plonker

Old Plonker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sad, but true.
  9. Old Plonker

Old Plonker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some won't like this one. Problem is it's a home-brew square-tube special built by Bill Todd in England, powered by a Chinese Piranha engine. But, at least it actually competes in trials.

Square tube special.jpg
  10. Downhillman

Downhillman n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm tired of the shit show! Who cares where your bike is made be it Japan,China,Spain or where the hell ever! Its all about riding skills and having fun! And so an FX1 is not a gas gas no one ever said it was! Its a fun bike to sharpen your skills as you learn! ya its made in China, But let's all remember how Japanese bikes were in the early 60's! cheap made junk at a cheap price! But they improved over the years, Well so have the Chinese bikes! So when you hop on your very expencive Honda or Kawi, Or what ever don't for get the history behind it and all the junk produced before they started making decent machines! Also look at pictures of any where in China, Most people are riding bikes of some sort or another! Chinese bikes, Bazillions of them! Think about that for a moment before you start knocking them!
    Old Plonker and madmac333 like this.
  11. Downhillman

Downhillman n00b

Oddometer:
    That is pretty cool! See China bike!
  12. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Could you please speak English!
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I don't think anybody is knocking the Chinese made Wong bike too much, but it is a real trials bike.
    Huzband likes this.
  14. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Try again. Japan had their "poop in a group" by the late '60's. A great majority of "motorcycle" stuff from China hasn't improved one damn bit since their first "invasion" in the mid-'90's. Japan is an engineering culture, China is an opportunist manufacturing culture. Haven't seen too many (read: none) Chinese bikes winning Roadraces, Motocross, Flattrack, Endurance, or Trials in the time they "arrived" while the Japanese dominated in that amount of time, so don't even try that tired old horseshit.
    Huzband likes this.
  15. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Brewtus If you hate these, fine, but why don't you just leave this thread alone? It said Semi trials. Since there's not a semi trials forum available, it makes sense to post it here, and if they will be used as a trainer for trials, or getting peoples' feet wet in the sport, all the better! I think trials is interesting, though I've never had the opportunity to observe a trials competition in person. Part of that is because, let's face it, trials is a small sport with a very small percentage of motorcyclists involved in the sport. Wouldn't it be great if these bikes were able to broaden the appeal to the sport, or do people have to start out with Beta/HondaMontessa/Sherco/Gas Gas? These might go a ways towards selling more of those models in the States, and experienced riders being open to other people might help, as well.

I agree with you on one thing: China is an opportunist manufacturing culture. While you're right, China isn't building race-winning bikes (if I recall, Zongshen entered a couple of 450s this year that didn't do so well in Dakar), and especially in the early 2000s, a lot of the chassis/electrical components leave something to be desired. Chinese motorcycles are improving, even if it is at the expense of using other companies' intellectual property. That being said, people are winning races with Chinese motors in pitbike circles, and China is doing something that the Japanese manufacturers aren't: mobilizing the world.

The majority world isn't using their motorcycles to compete in any form on the weekends, or any day of the week for that matter. Motorcycles are basic transportation. On the global scale, I would be shocked if even .5% of motorcycle owners are using their motorcycles to race, much less buying models for racing. The notion that a lot of people care about raceability is just a reflection of richer, Western markets, where most people already own cars, so a motorcycle isn't primary transportation.

I also believe that even in the Western world, there is less and less interest in racing (I think in part due to there being less and less disposable income for younger riders), and so manufacturers are responding with models that aren't focused on being the superlative in their categories, but rather something that is reliable and affordable. I think that Honda has, in their own way, probably realized this before the others in the big 4 of Japan, and their sales reflect this more sober mindset. Additionally, I would remind you that many of the components going into most of the American/European/Japanese brands have their manufacturing origin in China, or in some of KTM's models' case, India.
  16. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    This has been an interesting thread to follow...

I think I will finally chime in here and say, I admit I am not interested in these bikes much. Though... if people are having fun on them and are practicing trials on them than more power to you.

I will add that my only real resin for not being interested in them is the lack of ability to put real trials tires on them. I wouldn’t be able to use it for competition in any of the clubs I ride in as a result, so it would only be a play bike for me. And as I like to be able to play and compete it’s to limited for me.

Good news is that others don’t have the same requirements.

Good luck with the bikes and hope they work out well over time.
    djones745, Old Plonker and sanjoh like this.
  17. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer:
    You can fit a trials tire on the FX125. Here is a Kenda Equilibrium from my KDX to check fitment. That tire is much bigger than a trials tire. All it would take is to lace up a trials rim.
    rear tire 18.JPG

The Chinese have established themselves in the pitbike world and the FX is based off a pitbike. From what I've read, racers go Chinese if they want to win.

The other area where the Chinese have excelled is in aftermarket parts where you get the most bang for your buck. The FX comes with some cheap components but for a little money you can upgrade to lightweight quality parts.
  18. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Will a front trials tire work on the stock rear rim?
  19. Old Plonker

Old Plonker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @sanjoh, an 80x100 21 should fit easily, but will be wanting for traction compared to an 18. But it would be a start.
  20. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    I do have a set of akront tubless rims but....

What I've found with the 21" rear is that the larger circumference seems to hook up just fine. Even in wet conditions, the knobby doesn't spin much, even with a clutch dump. Not sure the awesome 9hp can handle a 18!
    Old Plonker likes this.