$1000 brand new semi-trials bike?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motodojo, May 24, 2019.

1. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer:
    Orion Powersports is sold out. Cleveland Cyclewerks is taking 2020 preorders but charging almost $3K
    I installed a KDX200 silencer and now it sounds more like a CRF125 instead of a mini Harley. Installed $115 DNM shock for CRF110 and Marzocchi forks pulled from a Fantic Section. Now happy with the suspension, which is most peoples biggest complaint.
    Next to go on is a $32 Chinese hydraulic clutch. Bench tested and it seems to work good. Then lights for a semi-trials dual sport.
    kdx fx exhaust.JPG
    djones745, sanjoh, WECSOG and 2 others like this.
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are a glutton for technical punishment :-)

Reminds me of `70s bikes which had so many non-optimal aspects there was a whole industry surrounding them. Metal fenders that bend? "No problem", said Preston Petty.

But why oh why when you can buy some old used trials bike that just needs love?

Oh and you might want to move the footpegs back about 5"....
  3. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Junglejeff1 and jonnyc21 like this.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    For 3K plus you can get the E version almost. :imaposer
  5. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    I rode Dr. Rock's bike at 3 Step Hideaway in Utah, last week. My wife and I attended the Alpine Rendezvous this year. He has a pair of these bikes there, so we were able to go riding together.....plunking around the trails. It was surprising fun. My wife had not ridden a motorcycle by herself in about 20 years, and she took to it like a duck in water. And just kept going....and going.

Its a very stable easy-to-ride bike. Calm torquey power without any power snap in the throttle. So, it would be the perfect "trainer" bike to teach someone to ride a motorcycle. This is what the MSF schools ought to use for their fleet. Very comfortable upright riding position, and super lightweight (to pick up from the ground). The motor is not going to get away from anyone with a loose hand.

The weight feels about 50/50 front to rear, which is what makes it so stable to ride. So the front end is heavy, and not going to be hopped around very easily. This thingy sticks to the ground and holds a line fairly well.

I did wring its neck on a long loop.....held the throttle to the stop for a couple miles across an open valley. I'd guess top speed 40 - 45 mph. It didn't seem phased by the wide-open run. Pulls pretty well up top.

When I first rode it, my initial thought was "what a dud". The more I explored on it, the more potential I begin to see in it. When I went for the ride with my wife, the light bulb began to flicker. A pair of these would be great "camp" bikes, especially if we could plate them for street legal. Just to plunk around on together and go get some groceries. She's talked about going riding again, since then. Asked if there are some good trails around here (our home turf) that she could handle. Of course, she knows there is. So, its got her thinking about it anyway. I've not decided if that's a plus or a negative.....only that's its likely to cost me some more money soon.

HF :thumbup

p.s. No....it is not a Trials bike. Not really even a semi-trials bike, because there is no such thing. It either IS or IS NOT. This is not. BUT it was great fun to ride, once I accepted what it was, and considered the possibilities. But not as much fun as the Beta Xtrainer I got to ride. Ho-Chi-Momma!!! That's gonna cost me . . .
    Fallacy, benedikt.m, motobene and 3 others like this.
  6. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer:
    To me it's like a Honda Reflex TLR200, except 30 lbs lighter. I had a Reflex and it was a turd. I couldn't get the front end up with a throttle blip. A common sight for a Reflex when they were released was tied to the back of an RV. This bike can be used as a camp bike or low level trials.

If I want to ride trials I ride my trials bike, for enduro I ride my mx bike. This bike is my tweener bike.
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Where has this thread been:fpalm Happy New Year!

Just turned 14hrs on my Orion.

1231191159a_HDR_resize_35.jpg

Still on stock suspension. Fork oil level was very low, +2 ozs each leg and they work well. Changed the shock oil and it actually damps instead of pogoing!

With the 15t counter sprocket it will almost hit 50mph. Tried a 17t and it will not pull top gear.

Stock exhaust is LOUD, reduced the noise to a reasonable level with a couple of plugs in the end of the can/muffler and a wire basket with packing in the headpipe.
  8. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was that pic taken at 'The Prairie' in PBC? I'd love to be there right about now.
  9. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Near walk in water state forest. Central FL.

Record high temp 85 yesterday!
    slicktop likes this.
  10. dukegnarley

dukegnarley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does anyone have a lead on where to get these right now? I emailed Orion, and they aren't planning on getting any more.
  11. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I found out what semi trials is.
    250senuf, Ymirtrials, 2whlrcr and 4 others like this.
  12. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Probably won't find one at that price. I live in the "Orion" area and went over there and looked at them while they still had a few. Decided I'd rather spend a little more and get a used, good, modern, real trials bike. You might get one (some) direct from China ( Aliexpress or Alibaba ) but that's probably about it.
  13. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Cleveland Cycle Werke carries them.
  14. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer:
    I heard Pitster Pro/GPX has some sample bikes for sale with upgraded suspension and might be importing some more but will cost over $2000. Or you could go to Indonesia...
    djones745 likes this.
  15. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just anther one of those stadium type events....:snore

:lol3
    MATTY likes this.
  16. dukegnarley

dukegnarley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GPX won't have any ready to sell until the summer.
    Cleveland hasn't returned my email from last week.
  17. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't buy from Cleveland anyway, they seem to charge a lot for basically the same crap everyone else is selling (usually 3-4x as much), and personally, I hate how they (mis)spell everything on purpose.

It would be worth it to wait for GPX's setup, it'll be top spec.
  18. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Any update?

Mine is still puttering....
    Lost Cartographer, WECSOG and Fallacy like this.
  19. Fallacy

Fallacy FFE inc. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same.
    Lost Cartographer, WECSOG and sanjoh like this.