$1000 brand new semi-trials bike?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motodojo, May 24, 2019.

1. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    A mischievous sole put the bug in my head to install a 105cc two stroke in this chassis.....
  2. slicktop

slicktop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A yz125 motor would RIP a new one in that frame.
    Literally.
  3. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    Probably fold it up like a beer can
    slicktop likes this.
  4. slicktop

Oddometer:
    Chinesium.
  5. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t say that, but it wasn’t designed for a 30 plus HP motor.
  6. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    OH! How my father and friends used to laugh about the Honda’s in the early 60s. H"ON"DA BENCH was always good for a chuckle, but within 5 years all over the country the old BSA Bantam or James Captain etc work bikes was parked in the back sheds and a shining new Honda C 90 was the bike they started every morning to go to work on.
    Chinese or not the quality is getting there, and they are here to stay.
    Champe, Bucho, DyrWolf and 1 other person like this.
  7. motodojo

motodojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to hear the rumble of a 190cc four stroke, not a 2 stroke. Orion said the Zongshen 190 will bolt in but would need exhaust mods.
    The Fantom is starting crowfunding and I like the way it sounds. It probably will cost 3-4 grand but initial investors get a better deal I guess. Prototype is standard trials suspension taken from existing bike, custom frame, Chinese engine, made in Spain.
    https://www.facebook.com/fantommotorcycles/
  8. slicktop

Oddometer:

My Dad had a c90 that was used up before I started riding, it laid against the fence with its bicycle styled wheels and loads of plastic rotting away. Thinking about it, that bike could have been a good beginner trials too.
  9. Old Plonker

Old Plonker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://www.bsaotter.com/sct_140_two_the_build_file.html

Be patient and scroll down a ways. I promise you there are some cool C90 trials bikes. I've been hearing about Jon Bliss' trials C90s for a while, and here is a bonanza of them and some other really cool ones too. Makes me want to hunt up an old, but not too rusty, C90 and start from there.
    slicktop likes this.
  10. slicktop

Oddometer:

That's a cool site. The transformation from the 60s look is amazing and I would happily cruise on one too.
  11. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Surprisingly good quality, lots of fun!
    0625191617.jpg
  12. Old Plonker

Old Plonker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks great without all the stickers.

I know it's not adjustable, but how would you rate the quality of the suspension? According @DR. Rock "It has stiffish suspension without a ton of travel." Do you agree?

Did you get your 45 mph on level ground?

Also, is the wording on the MSO such that you can plate it?
  13. Old Plonker

Old Plonker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a wonderful video. The Smage brothers are amazing. The little Scorpa works well enough.

If you want to run your carb forwards-facing and not foul the air cleaner on the front wheel, you may have mod the intake manifold to angle the carb upward like the Honda S90 did to get the air cleaner to fit up by the steering head. I can't remember what they did with the float to make it work though.

Edit: maybe the angle is not enough to change the mixture. And angling the intake from the front of the bike might improve the flow to the port by not requiring a 180 degree turn from the carb to the valves.

upload_2019-6-25_17-27-24.jpeg
  14. sanjoh

Oddometer:
    This was the $900 unassembled version from Orion. The big wheels will take some getting used to, they roll over everything. The suspension seems to work ok, haven't bottomed it yet and plonked off a 4' vertical. Rear shock seems well damped. Need to ride it some more. Nowhere near trials plushness. Neighbor rode it and came back with a huge smile, that's what this bike delivers.

Should be no problem, perhaps 55 after breakin.

Looks favorable, nothing on the MSO to think otherwise.
    Old Plonker likes this.
  15. motodojo

Oddometer:
    I got my bike together except for the engine. Maybe I will finish tonight. Looks like I got the cheapo forks. They top out with a clunk and the adjuster screw on the cap is for decorative purposes only. Triple clamp bolts almost close the gap when tightened. Seems to be soft compared to the rear. One side has no damping so maybe that one is missing oil and causing the clunk.

Weighing all the separate pieces, it comes out to 167 lbs dry. There are lot of areas that can be made lighter. The spokes are heavier gauge than trials and the rotors are big, thick MX sized. Solid steel axles with steel spacers. Steel subframe. Brake components are big and heavy compared to a trials bike.
  16. sanjoh

Oddometer:
    The Orion unassembled came mostly assembled.:confused

Engine, electrics etc installed. Had to install handle bars, rear shock, front wheel and fender, kickstand. Seems like a dang good value.

Lit off on the first kick!
    Old Plonker and Norman Foley like this.
  17. Old Plonker

Old Plonker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @sanjoh, glad to hear what you said about the suspension. I think of the bike not as a trials machine, but as a cross-trainer or freeride (whatever you want to call it), having the lightness and torque of a trials bike with the controllability at higher speeds of an enduro bike, with good ground clearance and a seat height that allows easy footing, even for short people.

It seems to me that the Orion is an excellent choice, giving good value for a righteous price. Congratulations.
  18. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    I would like to see some more pictures of the Orion.
  19. motodojo

Oddometer:
    Here's some photos of the Xmotos version. They actually call it Trials model.
    http://www.xmotos.com/x8888/bk_15065905.html

Here is a list of the names it goes under, known so far to me.
    Cleveland FX (first appeared 4 years ago USA)
    Puzey (South Africa)
    Jumper (Russia)
    XMotos
    Orion
    Time
    Shi Pao

I think the Chinese motorcycle industry is like the small euro brands like Gas Gas, Sherco and Beta in that they don't make anything, just assemble from supplier parts, except the Europeans do R&D. The Chinese "Brands" use the same frame from same supplier, many of the same components, and some differences in engine and suspension. Then the importers rebrand them.

I read a post on China Riders forum that someone called Cleveland and they said the Chinese ripped them off but who knows. Sounds plausible that they had them manufactured in China then the Chinese took liberties.
    beemer chuck likes this.
  20. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    The factory spent some money and did some R&D on the frame and swing arm. It’s made from fairly intricate stampings. My guess is that there is one place makes the swing arm and main frame, and then smaller companies take it from there. On my bike the lower frame cradle is of lower build quality than the rest of the frame.
    Old Plonker likes this.