1000 miles in 24 hours Off-road

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Pitster, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Planning a endurance ride 1000 miles in 24 hours OFF-ROAD!!

I’m sure some have heard of the “Iron butt challenge” 1000 miles in 24 hours that some street riders have done, well why not do it Offroad?

These are not technical or slow off-road miles but nevertheless they are still dirt roads with silt, loose gravel, rocks, deer, wild horses, antelope, etc.. that require constant focus and attention. No cruise control and open freeways etc....

I have been scouting and pre-run the route and have it down to 1000-1028 miles off-road.
    The route consists of five parts in the western Utah desert.

1) Outbound 184 miles (fuel before start)
    2) Loop one 220 miles (fuel)
    3) Loop two 220 miles (fuel)
    4) Loop three 220 miles (fuel)
    5) Final stretch return 184 miles (finish)

With weather cooling off now and daylight hours becoming less and less, the plan is for May 24th 2021 (longer days, full moon and Monday with little to know one on the dirt roads)

Anyone else crazy enough for a Off-road endurance challenge! If so, let me know.

Attached Files:

Mrstig, redneckK20, Traxx and 4 others like this.
  2. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Average about 42 mph for 24 hours on dirt roads??? How much experience do you have off-roading at speed for any length of time?
    zzzak, wbbnm, Pitster and 1 other person like this.
  5. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    About 30 years, the west desert of Utah is pretty wide open, these are not technical roads or the Baja 1000 by any stretch but it still will be a endurance challenge!
    cyclopathic likes this.
  6. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    If your going to try for IBA certification, make sure you get pre approval of the route.
    Bill 310 likes this.
  7. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds cool and fun, good luck.
    But............... First of all you aren't riding off road, you are riding off pavement. Second I don't see how it can be posable to even do that, even out west I don't believe you can do 1000 miles anywhere without riding some pavement. On your scouting and pre-riding have you found it is posable completely off pavement?
    Anyway 1000 miles even mostly off pavement would be a pretty awesome feat to be proud of.
  8. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done 2 iron butt rides, Saddle Sore 1000. Pre approval not required unless they changed the rules. You'll need a witness at start and finish, plus receipts or other proof of time and location on route.
    Having done two, there is no way I would try it in the dirt, good luck and be willing to stop if your loosing focus. Mine were both from colorado to California and included between 4 and 6 hours of night riding. Can't imagine making good time in the dirt after dark.. keep us posted.
    tlub, sieg and Pitster like this.
  9. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    The IBA 1000 mi ride off pavement is called a DustyButt not a Saddle Sore. The rules require pre approval and most likely a satellite tracker.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's more like 50mph you loose time on eating, shitting and fueling up.
    RideFreak likes this.
  11. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could do an up and back on the Dempster in the Yukon and NWT. The only paved section is the stretch through Inuvik...but don’t try in the rain, it turns into the greasiest mud. I had my hands full at times on my Dakar 650.
    Pitster likes this.
  12. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Personally I don't need a badge from "iron butt" I will document it but is not about if they approve it or not for me.
  13. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have pre-run much of the route, it will definitely be a challenge. I personally find hwy riding more numbing and uncomfortable then even fast dirt road.
  14. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Agreed, This is wide open stuff, 50mph is not a problem.
  15. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    I have a route close to my home in the Utah/NV west desert, should be a good challenge!
  16. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    The route has 6 miles of pavement in the beginning to get from gas station to the first section of dirt and another 4-6 mile batch of pavement on each of the three loops. When it comes down to the finish I will add another 12-15 miles of dirt if needs be to make it a true 1000 miles off pavement.
    sieg likes this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if riding after sunset 50mph on dirt I such a good idea; wildlife and stuff. People usually do it up north Dalton and Dempster at least you won't run out of daylight
    ibgary, djroszina and Pitster like this.
  18. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Baja is far from technical, and I'm familiar with the quality of the graded dirt roads in the Utah desert, but you will be pegged WFO a lot of the time. What are your plans for when you crash at speed 50 miles from anyone at 02:00 in the morning? You will crash at some point and it's not a matter of when, but where. Keep us updated on your progress.
    Pitster likes this.
  19. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    I have a few guys that will do portions of the route with me, the idea is to not crash lol. I just pre-ran the route and did 780 miles, I'm pretty confident I can make the 1000.
    sieg, cyclopathic and djroszina like this.
  20. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:

So if you are doing all this pre ride planning why aren't you going to get the IBA to approve your route and have verified proof that you have done the ride ?

If you are talking about it on here you want to be known for doing it, but without a certificate it will be viewed as just chatter especially as time goes by.

These rides are getting harder to do because of continuous paving and it is a very unusual ride.
    cyclopathic, kwthom and AwDang like this.