100000 Trouble Free till Yesterday

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Strawdog, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    Knowing what I learned I wont run JT any more its my two cents I would change it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Snks

Snks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You just made me ditch the original chain at 11, + miles.
  3. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the sprockets here from a 20% off coupon deal from last year so what the hell..I'm gonna put em on when I do tires soon. IDBDR is next so I don't want any suprises.
  4. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    This has been a real learning curve for me no longer will assume if rear looks good front gotta be ok

I guess in the end if I had spent the time it was there just never looked.

Will be adding couple things to tool kit and getting rid stuff I really don't need

5. Snks

Snks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fronts usually go before the rears as it is a much smaller diameter. Definitely something for me to keep my eye on as well.
  6. Met n GS

Met n GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so the front sprocket wasnt replaced when you did the rear and chain?
    cant understand why you would have so much wear on the front

please post some pictures of the sprockets/chain
    and the damage due to it
  7. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    It was all new 12000 km ago

8. Met n GS

Oddometer:
    great
    send some pics of how it looks now...:deal
  9. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I run two sets off wheels. I'm sorry for your misfortune, but this is a good reminder for me to check the front sprocket from time to time too. Especially with a JT on the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  10. Met n GS

Oddometer:
    what about pbr sprockets?
  11. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is best not to do that. The transmission on nearly all motorcycle needs to have both a load on it and the flywheel effect of the chain.

Also I would go through the gears with the engine off and just rotating the sprocket with a socket wrench.
    locknut24 likes this.
  12. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Strawdog

I have ridden all sorts of bikes with chains, and even for long times in deep sand on the sand dunes of Pismo Beach.

The very best thing you can do for your chain is to use Dupont Chain Saver. Deposit chain saver not only keeps your chain and surrounding areas clean, but it is really the best chain protector you can get.

Oil lubricates fine IF IT IS CLEAN. The problem is that keeping a motorcycle chain clean when it has oil on it is close to impossible.

Dupont Chain Saver was developed for industrial machinery chains. Some of these chains cost more than a motorcycle.

Dupont Chian saver isn't even very expensive, and they even make small travel sized cans.

I have a BMW s1000rr and playing around with that amount of horsepower and speed could be a real problem, so I don't keep my chains for too long. At 18,000 miles the chain is still perfect and the lateral flex is still to spec.
  13. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most motorcycle transmissions with make some funny noises when run without load of the "flywheel" effect of the mass of the chain and rear wheel. A transmissions can even be damaged if they are run without at least some load.

Even with a chain and wheel on running a bike in gear on a stand makes some clanky rattly noises.

When you get your chain and put it on test the bike on a stand, but use some rear brake to give it a bit of load.

Your transmission is most likely OK. They are very tough. Also keep in mind that the torque gets to the transmission through the
    clutch and the clutch basket has sings in it that would absorb a lot when the chain locks up.

The important thing is the chain did not take your foot off or rip into your thigh! Or lock up your back wheel.

I would also keep an eye on the oil seal at the front sprocket. It's probably OK, but if your on travels it my be a good idea to get your hands on one incase it fails.
  14. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    That could be very dangerous but could also be no immediate problem. That is on one of the engine mounts. Depending on how many engine mounts you have you could get a very harsh and sudden wobble if it failed. Some bikes use the engine as part of the frame structure of the bike. Also keep in mind that engine vibration will make the crash go deeper and creep.
  15. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Front sprocket is more critical than the rear sprocket because the chain flexes much more when going around it. Any wave breaking shape is bad news.

Unfortunately many front sprockets are a bit hidden. A good way to quite quickly see if a front sprocket has problems is to over tighten the chain and spin the rear wheel on a stand and listen to the noise coming from the front sprocket. IF there is any sort of grrrr grrrr noise get rid of the front sprocket.
    locknut24 likes this.
  16. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    This trip has been a real learning curve I did get the F800GS home switched bikes jumped on the Harley went a party in northern Minnesota. Went to go go home Harley broke down ten kilometers from party clutch bearing self destructed.

Definitely will be paying more attention to the chain sprockets on the F800GS