101 miles on my new F700GS…notes from the newbie.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Rmally, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Rmally

Rmally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, 101 miles….I know it not a lot but i just got the bike 2 days ago and today was the first sunny, so so warm, and NO snow to contend with day.

This is what the "newb" noticed about his new bike……

1. I need a new windshield….something taller or that deflects wind better.

2. I stalled the bike three times, but its new to me so i just need to get used to it.

3. Need hand guards, they are on order.

4. It rides fantastic and handles great….feels very light.

5. Who needs 6th gear.

6. I kept hitting my right foot on the stock rear rack when getting on…..ouch! lift your foot and leg higher dummy.

7. Trans seemed slightly clunky but again probably just me getting used to it.

8. Love the gear indicator.

9. Farkles coming soon………

Again, just a few thoughts from very few miles from the rookie….but I LOVE this bike…..looking forward to the next 20,000 miles.
  2. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    When I got my 800, I thought I'd want a taller windscreen but from standing on the foot pegs, I noticed that I could probably do with having the windscreen lower or nothing at all.

This was my first new bike and I too noticed the gears being a bit clunky but 5 months later and 15,000 km after, it rides better than ever and am loving every minute of it on and off the road. Point being... it'll break in.

Enjoy the bike and the many miles to come.
  3. Jays-f800gs

Jays-f800gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    #6 I'm a short guy with a lowered f800. I mount left foot on peg step up then throw right foot over, much easier.
  4. MexicanGringo

MexicanGringo Canadian in Mexico

Oddometer:
    Also a noob here, barely 1,500 KM.

That was my very first reaction when I got it on the highway. I got a touratech with a clip extension, 90% satisfied. Feels a bit wobbly but so much better than the joke that is the stock one.

Same here, I feel like the friction point is too much near when the lever is almost all released, but that must be me still getting used to it.

Agreed :)

Was following a few friends on R1200GS at 90-95 mph and felt that the 6th was too short. Actually I wouldn't mind a 7th :p

haha I hit my knee cap right on one of the rack stud the first day it hurts like hell :p

Congrats on the purchase. I hope you enjoy it as much as I love mine. :super
  5. ericrat

ericrat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put a Wunderlich clutch lever on the Mrs.'s bike yesterday and she reports much less tendency towards stalling. We both commented that is funny how just a lever could make that much difference.

Eric
  6. 73datsun

73datsun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. I would stall my bike 2-3x a day. Then I put on adjustable levers. Haven't stalled it since. Worth the $.
  7. MexicanGringo

MexicanGringo Canadian in Mexico

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind to share, what kind of lever did you install? I know some people will say learn to shift but I've short fingers. Thanks
  8. Rmally

Rmally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested as well, could someone provide more detail how these work?

I'm assuming you replace the factory clutch lever, is the shifter peg also replaced so boots fit under easier?

What brands are recommended and is it a DIY job…(I'm barely shade tree).
  9. rightspy

rightspy Crazy Dingo

Oddometer:
    I bought adjustable shorty's from eBay. Great quality and easy fit for $18!
    [​IMG]
  10. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    It seems I broke my "quote" button.

From what I read here, the 700 sprockets are a combination of the 650 and 800? A 650 is 17/41 and the 800 is 16/42 and the 700 is 17/42??

Anyway, I often ride the 650 and 800 back to back and the 650 is much easier to stall. My GF did that at least 4 times coming home the first time. It's worse when fully loaded. When it came to needing a new chain I put 800 sprockets on hers as well as a LV muffler (without mentioning either). She said it had a lot more power but also vibrated more on the highway blaming the muffler since that mod was obvious. Now that I put a new tire on it I went with the 41 rear sprocket so now it's 16/41 (and has been snowing since so no test ride).

Point being, it's a quirk to get used to. You can change the sprockets and get more vibration at speed so pick your lesser evil.
  11. Phymly

Phymly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As a 'low seat' person myself I wear thick soled boots so I need to adjust the shift lever on all my bikes. The shift lever shafts are splined so just remove the bolt that holds the shift lever on and carefully rotate it clockwise one spline. Go slow the spines are very small. I usually mark it with a Sharpie so I can keep track of where I started if it slips off.

I'll have to try the adjustable clutch lever myself as I've stalled the bike on several occasions.
  12. brakedw

brakedw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the bike! I've got just over 4,000 on my F700GS. I too had a big problem with the wind and windshield, Thought I was going to have to change it then because of my 6'1" I put on 30mm bar extenders and that changed my position to where I'm not feeling the wind like I did. Dont ask me why it helped but I have found little changes in body position has a great effect on buffeting.
    That was a lot cheaper than a windshield.

Other things I've been happy with sw motech crash bars, ricochet skid plate, grip puppies, added 12v socket,

Stock Panniers ok but had I known better would have gone aftermarket

Keep us up with you add ons I'm always looking for ideas.:clap
  13. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love mine, I've always had sport bikes and I will never go back. I bought it new, threw it in the trailer and moved to Miami, so all of my 5000 miles have been here. Few long rides, I took her up to Savannah one weekend, never would have considered that on my Ducati.

I have had some problems though, cracked tank, 2-day repair at the dealership so no issues there. Then, I develeped a leak at the water pump? Dealership said they had never seen that before but swapped it out as a warranty repair.

I'm with you on the windshield though, I want either a 16" Cee Bailys or a windshield off the F800GSA, havent decided. BMW is pretty proud of that GSA windshield. I put BMW handguards on it, Touratech crash bars (Powdercoated) and a MOD rack on the back. I really want a set of Zega panniers but cant justify $1K right now.

So far, it is the perfect bike. All my friends ride Harleys and I havent been able to convert any of them, but everywhere we go, they're the first to stop, first to run out of gas, first to break, you name it. Drives me nuts.

Well, good luck with her and enjoy the coming miles.
  14. pkbinder

pkbinder Kissing Moose

Oddometer:
    I heard someone describe the transmission clunk as the sound of a wrench thrown into an empty toolbox. An I love my two 800's. Why two? Don't ask. pk
  15. joker64

joker64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a ricochet same as brakadw on my 650 gs .If your going to do much off road save your money and get a black dog skid plate . The ricohet will bend on a hard hit . I've pulled mine off twice an had to bend it back into place . Once after black bear and inagene passes in Colorado and after the GS challenge that gateway bmw put on .For gravel roads and some lite off road it'll be fine. All in all it's a great bike and lots of fun.
  16. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    About 4'000km with mine.

Added a real windscreen shortly after I bought it... And crash bars, and Rox risers, and a skidplate, and a rack luggage, and...

Oh wait, when you begin to add farkles, you can't stop :D

But I'm really happy with the bike :)
  17. 73datsun

73datsun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Pazzo levers on mine. Not cheap. But sure look pretty. :D

It's a pretty straight forward procedure, doesn't require much know how.

It basically allows you to adjust the levers in or out to fit the "throw" of your hand. A click or two closer for me solved all stalling issues.

http://www.pazzoracing.com/
  18. Rmally

Rmally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Now I have another thing to add to the list…….you guys are right, it's never ending once you start to Farkle.
  19. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    What kind of mpg are you guys getting on your 700s? I seem to always get around 46-48, but I know people who get in the 50s and even 60s on 700s/650s. I'm not that heavy handed so I wanted to check. :)
  20. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    4.3l/100km (55 US mpg) for 3000+ km for me. City, dirt, solo, 2 up, no highway.

I had the same on my 800GS.

I'm not so kind with the throttle...