1090 no start after new fuel pump???

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by kermitiv, Jul 22, 2019.

1. kermitiv

kermitiv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So on the last day of my 2 week ID BDR trip my bike finally would not start. It started struggling to start 4 days early with really rough starts until it got hot then would run fine the until sitting overnight. Just put in a new fuel pump and filter and the bike still will not start?? Really baffled now and don’t want to take it to my terrible KTM dealer in the other town. Any ideas guys??
  2. OG1

OG1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the fuel pump cycling when you toggle the stop/run switch?
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Basics first. Fuel pump cycling and then turning off to indicate it came up to pressure? Fuel line Quick connect firmly attached?

The deeper question in my mind if all seem well with the work performed is what makes you think it was the fuel pump causing the problem?
    Wodger63 likes this.
  4. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even being familiar with fuel quick connect after owning a 1190 and then a 1090 having the tank off numerous times.
    I got caught out once with quick connect not seating right with the result being a non start.
    Best thing to do @kermitiv with any issue like that is to work backwards and double check your work.
  5. kermitiv

kermitiv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes fuel pump cycles. My thought was that the filters where plugged or the pump was bot building proper pressure. The quick connect is seated properly but wondering if I need to try and bypass to see if it is malfunctioning. However doesn’t explain the hard start and rough running then running normally the rest of the day??
  6. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if the clips locking the fuel pump top and bottom are locked on. I had them back off before so know when I replace fuel filters I always throw a zip tie around the clips so they can’t back off. Also make sure the quick disconnect fuel line is properly engaged.
  7. kermitiv

kermitiv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The clips are locked and the quick connection is locked in place. Really wondering about removing the quick connection in case it is malfunctioning inside and replacing with a filter instead
  8. ianblomeyer

ianblomeyer ianblomeyer

Oddometer:
    It may not be the pump. It may be the valves.
    djroszina likes this.
  9. crossbones

crossbones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tight intakes will do that.
  10. Throttle-jockey

Throttle-jockey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds dumb but did you turn on the shut off valves?
    Doktor likes this.
  11. phil80

phil80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the bike started to have issues, when it didn't start you chose to change the pump??
    When it did not start initially - did the pump still run?

Is the 1090 ride by wire - if so can you here the throttle body servo whine when ignition on? Can you see the link between the to butterfly valves move when operating the throttle?

Is there a spark? If possible take a plug out and plug it back in to the coil and check- if no spark likely to do with crank sensor I imagine. if spark, likely fuel issue.

OR

If the pump runs, and you don't want to remove a plug - you could remove the tank and meter the crank (pulse generator sensor) that will tell you if it faulty which then won't tell the eco when to fire.
    Maybe that's your best option (from my view) if the throttle linkage moves (have to look under the right side (if your sitting on the bike), tight to see - get on the floor and look up into the frame, and if pump primes.

Not saying it is - but I have literally just had this sensor fail on my bike, would turn over but not fire.
  12. kermitiv

kermitiv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I chose the pump because of the ton of threads that listed it and the filters as a constant problem. I will try the throttle linkage but I can hear a change in pitch from the carb when I move the throttle so I don’t believe this is the problem. If I bypass the quick connection and it doesn’t resolve then the next step is to check plugs. Bike only has 9k miles so this is really frustrating. Thanks guys
  13. phil80

phil80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any error on the screen or flashing engine light?
  14. kermitiv

kermitiv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No error codes at all
  15. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    What miles are on your bike?

I don't think it's the pump, more the guys saying check the valves have a point. If it runs OK when warm it isn't the pump or filters symptoms of that is bad running under load what max fuel flow is needed.
  16. kermitiv

kermitiv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    8700 miles so valves should be fine
  17. 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr Long timer

Oddometer:
    make sure your battery is not the issue either.
    and +1 check throttle linkages
  18. ls6777

ls6777 The Dude abides Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you implying you just had them checked? Isn't first check at 9k? or is the first check at 18k? I cant remember.
  19. crossbones

crossbones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I had a real tight front intake at 6k
    nk14zp likes this.
  20. kermitiv

kermitiv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok. Thanks. Gonna have time to look at it more tomorrow. Thanks guys