1090R spoked wheel, slow leak

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by BadGerman, Aug 3, 2020.

1. BadGerman

BadGerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am chasing a slow leak on the front wheel of my 1090R (leaking at spoke nipples). I have replaced the seal band with no success. I am now going to order a new rim tape and also want to replace the grommet on the valve stem. My question is, does anyone have a source for these grommets? The only option I see on the parts fiche is to order a new valve stem.
  2. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you replace your self as I am told it is a tricky job, here KTM will only supply band to dealers? A complete valve stem with washers are not expensive! Your own conversion may work better!
  3. BadGerman

BadGerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a shop replace the seal and mount a new tire, still leaks around the spoke nipples. I ordered a new rim tape and wanted to replace the valve stem grommet too. I think the valve stem is made to seal against the rim seal band and am afraid a standard valve stem with washers will not work. KTM charges $30+ for a new valve stem which I assume includes the grommet.
  4. zedtours

Oddometer:
    Well take it back to the dealer and get them to fit it properly!
  5. sproot

sproot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It leaks in one of three places: The tyre bead, the sealing band, or the valve, the latter two can manifest as leaking through the spokes. I don't understand the comment about the bands being tricky to fit, I assembled a 19/17 set for my 1190R from parts without issue. WD40 or similar on the sealing band edges helps them to sit correctly in the rim.

My OE front was leaking where the valve seals against the sealing band (as you said) but I just took the valve out, straightened the seal as best I could and put it back with a little rim sealant. Was airtight for the next 5 years, through more than one tyre change.

I'm interested you can by the stem separately from the sensor though, because the pressure sensor / valves on the 1190 were one piece. Do you happen to have a pic of the new type?
  6. BadGerman

BadGerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is no TPMS sensor on the 1090R, only a valve stem with a rubber grommet on it. The shop is going to refit the tire but they wanted to be able to replace the rim band (which I think will do nothing to fix the issue) and the valve stem grommet. I suspect that the newly installed sealing band is just not seated properly but I would like to replace the grommet on the valve stem too while the tire is off.
  7. sproot

sproot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, OK, makes sense now. The little rubber seal on the stem is easy to crease (if it's like the pressure sensor), and would be where I looked first. I'd be surprised if the sealing band needed to be replaced, unless they manage to stick a tyre iron through it or something.....
  8. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    My front started leaking through a spoke nipple after a shop changed my front tire. Then I took it to the KTM dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with the seal and re-seated it. It still leaked from the same nipple. The KTM dealer replaced the seal under warranty and it fixed the leak.

I've read that the heavy seal needs to be seated correctly or it won't make a good seal.

This picture below showed the leak with a soap&water solution. (You don't need much soap in the water, and you need to wait a few minutes)

[​IMG]
  9. BadGerman

BadGerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took the wheel back to the shop today with a new red rim band in hand. First, I had them remove the tire and I just removed and re-seated the thick black seal band which was new as of a few days ago. It took me about 20 minutes to re-seat and insect the seal.....definitely not a simple task. They put the tire back on and it seems to be holding air now. Hence, we did not replace the rim band. We'll see how it goes. If it does not hold up, I will replace the valve stem and the red rim band. Definitely a learning experience for me AND the shop owner. Take extra care when swapping tires to make sure you don't damage the seal AND that it is seated properly.
    Cabrito likes this.
  10. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    Reading this with interest. I have a slow leak on the front wheel of my ‘18 1090. Funny thing is it leaks down to about 28 psi and then seals, i.e. doesn’t drop any further.
    Time to pop the tire off and see what’s up with the rim band, I guess.
    Edit: it was down to 21 the other day. :(
  11. zedtours

Oddometer:
    Dealer charged 1 hour labour to fit seal in loose rim!