1090R to 790R, Anyone done it? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by waderman, Feb 10, 2020.

1. waderman

waderman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking about moving on from my 1090R to a 790R. Curious to see if anyone else has done that and what they think...
  2. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not an aggressive rider...

The 790R feels a lot lighter than the weight difference would lead you to expect.
    The 790R fuel mileage so far has been +10MPG better.
    The 790R rides cooler.
    The 790R will feel lacking in bottom end torque, but you'll quickly adjust.
    The headlight is better.
    I, unlike many others, find the airflow on the 790 to be smoother (less buffeting) than the 1090.
    The 790 is more stable at 70MPH than the 1090 was. Less wander.
    For me, riding the 790 is more 'exciting.' Very subjective, but it just gives me a bigger kick.
    Do I miss the $4k it took to swap? Yes.
    If I had a chance to go back to the 1090, would I? No.
    While riding the 790R, have I ever thought, wow, this would be better/easier on the 1090? No.
    typeamark, HoreZ, Venturer and 4 others like this.
  3. waderman

waderman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your input!
  4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't report on the 1090 but Ive done 15000kms on a 1190R which I believe is similar. I've now had the 790R for 6 months and still have the 1190R which I'm now going to sell. The 790 is just far more versatile, good on the road, great on fire trails here in Australia and a lot more confidence inspiring in the single track and rough stuff. I'd go as far to say that it feels more like my 690 in single track than the 1190. The 1190R has 150HP which if your an adrenalin junkie you will miss. The 1190 is scary fast on open dirt roads and fire trails but can get you into trouble really quickly. The 790 turn in on dirt is really good, much better than my old 950 super enduro was and miles ahead of the 1190, its much safer if you come into a corner on dirt way to hot. I would regularly run wide on the 1190 but not on the 790. It all boils down to what type of riding you do. If you like touring at average speeds and are not that fussed on speed and rough terrain I think the 1090/1190 is better. If your like me and enjoy challenging yourself in enduro type terrain and like really pushing it then the 790R is better. I hope this helps.
  5. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive done it and cant really add anything more sensible that what krussel and stonehenge have said above - It also put's a BIGGER smile on my face than when I had the 1090 and that's what it's all about IMO :)
    krussell likes this.
  6. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    krussell: I agree with everything you said as I went from a 1090R to a 790R. Except when my first rides with Rally Mode the 790 feels every bit , maybe more explosive that the 1090r. I put is back in off road mode for now. Sunday when I got back from a ride I was pushing the 790 into the garage. I am amazed at the difference in weight feel just on that simple maneuver. Very noticeable lighter feel on my rocky forest road climb behind my house. Yeah I took a $ beating on my 1090 also. Sellers beware. Anyone want a Rally Raid Tank and Fairing 690R (2014)? - I just can see me having two bikes so close in ability.
    krussell likes this.
  7. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    The second post in this thread from krussell covers most of the differences, but I disagree on the wind protection. The windshield on the 1090R was very good with no real buffeting, especially noticeable since I was coming off of a 990 Adv which had terrible wind protection. The 790R windscreen is still quite a bit better than the one on the 990, but definitely not as good as the 1090R. I'm 6'1" if that makes a difference for this part.

I only bought the 1090R because the 790R wasn't available in the USA yet and the waiting list was going to put me at least a year out. So I bought the 2018 1090R in the summer of 2018. I loved that bike, but there were times off road when it just felt big. It had way more power than I needed, but sometimes that was fun.

So after about eight months I decided I might as well put a $100 deposit down on a 790R, since it would be a long time before I would be able to get one and I definitely wanted the lighter bike. I was expecting to finally have one in May or June of 2020, but the dealer called me up in December of 2019 and said they had my bike. So I traded in the 1090R and now I'm riding the best bike I've ever owned. I've ridden a bit of dirt and quite a bit of street on it. I'll be taking it in for the 600 mile service at the end of next week. Other than the buffeting, I consider the 790R to be better - for me and the type of riding I do - in every way than the 1090R. Power is good enough, even keeping it under 6500 rpms for break-in.

I'll wait to try out Rally Mode until after the first service.

I've never regretted for a minute trading in the 1090R for the 790R.
    krussell likes this.