1. eNewsletter Sign Up

1100 Oilhead Transmission

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RockyRaccoon, Oct 22, 2002.

1. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the differences, if any, between the '97 and '98 oilhead transmission?

Obviously they're the same size and ratios, but there were some internal upgrades over the years and I'm not sure exactly which years they applied to. I'm considering getting an RT and want to know which years to consider or not.

Thanks.
  2. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Kurt,

Sorry I don't know the details. All I know is that the '98 and later tranny's don't have the issues like the earlier ones. I believe that has to do with the intermediate shaft construction and something with the input and output seals.

Mine broke the intermediate shaft, as well as had leaking seals. I think that some others had shifting difficulites, which was updated with different parts in the later years of the model run.
  3. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    We've had experience with several:

'94 design - basically the updated original '93 box, with nickel-plated splines, o-rings between the gears to quell rattling, and the lower first gear. Worked fine for 43K till the input shaft bearing started lightly groaning.....to be honest, I rode around with the noise for 20K miles before the shop changed it under warranty.

'95 design - went into my '94 RS at 43K and was still in there at 88K when I sold the bike

'95 design - got it with my early '96 RT and it worked fine till I traded the bike at 32K miles.

'96 design - in my wife's RS, the first gearbox sprang a weep from the scratched input or output shaft manufacturing problem which was common for the year. They fixed the problem once, then when it leaked again, they gave her a new gearbox at 33K miles.

'97 design - replaced the gearbox in my wife's '96 RS at 33K miles, and was in there until she sold the bike at 75K. The absolutely worst shifting Oilhead transmission I've ever shifted. Laurel BMW asked her if she was "shifting the bike correctly," apparently not noticing that she'd just ridden the bike 52K miles in 18 months. We didn't go back to that shop.

And then of course there's the old design:

'88 design - 175K miles on a stock K75 transmission...never been apart, never leaked, is finally starting to make a little noise.

Maybe you should buy a K100. :)

Jon
  4. RockyRaccoon

Oddometer:
    To answer my own question....

I called a guy today who helped me when I was sourcing a trans for my GS. He said there's no real difference between the 97 and the 98. The big difference was between 96 and 97, when they went to sealed bearings.
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Is that across the line, or just GS or just RT? :ear
  6. RockyRaccoon

Oddometer:
    Don't know. I only know it applies to the 5-spd oilhead transmission used on the 1100s.