1100S Multi-Strada opinion

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by h2omoto, Feb 22, 2017.

1. h2omoto

h2omoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all!!

I am curious what the consensus is about an 1100s Multi-Strada??? I have the chance to maybe get one (for very cheap). Quick story: I did/doing some work for a guy and he said he could offer up the Strada as payment. I have numerous bikez in my stable so I don't really need the bike. I know the industry and I know these machines, but I am looking for some real world experiences and opinions. If it's worth keepin I might just take it.

Back story on the bike:

2007/8 (don't know for sure)
    Bike was used as a buddy bike and was thrown down on both sides. Dropped on left and low side on right.

That's all I know of it as of now. He is supposed to bring it down on Saturday.

Opinions????

Thanks in advance
  2. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great bike overall. I just picked up an '09 1100s with 16k for a good price. I had an '06 1000s years ago and had a great experience with that bike as well. I think they are a real bargain, do-a-lot bikes. Keep in mind that there is a pretty major service due around 16k. Good luck.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  3. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Terrific bike. I had an '08 S model. I loved it. Incredibly capable, even on the fire roads.

Per chance is this bike an S model? 1000 or 1100?
    oalvarez likes this.
  4. h2omoto

h2omoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1100 S
  5. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Buy it. They are a tremendous value. Does it still have the factory hard bags?

It's a pretty basic bike, otherwise, so it's easy to check for the standard things; chain, fork seals, tires, etc. The left side panel hides the battery, fuses and electrics. It's PITA to remove, but that will give you a chance to check that it has all of the proper fittings. The right cover is actually a storage cubby.

Belt changes are super easy. Valve adjustments are also rather straightforward.
    oalvarez likes this.
  6. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Ohlins on the 'S' model is a real plus. Being a good 'previously owned' Ducati, mine had a number of upgrades added to it like a Corbin seat, bar risers... They can be a real bargain.
    oalvarez and BobcatSig like this.
  7. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Great point about the seat. I forgot about that. The stock seat on mine was atrocious. I swapped in a Sargent and it was night and day better.
  8. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    Back then I thought that the MTS 1100S was one of the best bikes Ducati had ever built. As Bobcatsig said, a do a lot bike. It can be breezy and removing the seat will send you straight to the funny farm (I'll never understand some of Ducati's ways), but the bike is a real joy to ride. If you can find one with a full Termignoni exhaust kit even better.

Best,
    BobcatSig and TwoTrackMind like this.
  9. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    AHH! I forgot about the seat... Yah. Not their best effort there. Fortunately, the previous owner of my bike lined the tank and underside of the seat with some high grip velcro. I copied the same with my Sargent seat. It made removing the seat much, much easier. And let's not forget removing and reattaching the battery box and fuse cover....
    oalvarez likes this.
  10. mglsite

mglsite Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2007 1100s because I needed a change from my great but boring V Strom. Best bike I have ever had. People say they are ugly but that's just because they don't know them. Easy to work on, you can even change plugs without spending half the day removing plastic.
    Get it.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  11. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an '05 S and nothing but problems with it. Others have had trouble free experiences. A friend had an '07 1100 and had nothing but issues with it. They are great running machines and mine was a joy when it was running well. They are light and handle well. Maintenance is pretty easy but pulling the body work for access is a major pain. The plastic gas tank is an area of concern.
  12. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I'll add that although I've got a 2008 Hypermotard S, it's the same basic bike and easy to work on like BobcatSig and others said. The Hyper is better looking because it doesn't have that godawful fairing but the 1st gen Multi's go for much cheaper and I've often thought about getting one instead of my Hyper. Also, it's got a bigger fuel tank than the Hyper!
    BobcatSig likes this.
  13. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also had a hypermortard with that 1100cc engine, it's a gem.
  14. dino1

dino1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a huge bonus if the bike has a factory center stand. They are rare and hardly ever pop up for sale.

Issues with the side stand are also common. Striped out bolts that hold the stand to the motor etc. so if you have issues with the side stand and aren't lucky enough to have a center stand now you have real issues.

Make sure the engine is not broken around the mounting bolts.
    That could be an issue with a bike that has been down a few times.
    If I sold my 1100 I would probably just keep the center stand in case I got another.

Of course now a days you can buy whole bikes cheap so why not have 2?