110LL Avgas "Horrid thing to do. Avgas is no bueno for a motorcycle"

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Jonny360, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Hoss Cartright

Hoss Cartright 219.474.6657

Oddometer:
    I've been running 100LL for years. Mixed with UL Premium at different percentages and also straight. All my bikes run perfect.
    Used to put it in my 1969 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (472 CID) at about 25% 100LL with Shell UL Premium and it ran like it had time warped back to 1969 and got a fresh drink of Sunoco 260.
    We had an area Sunoco Station that went out of business about 20 years ago, they had a 94 Octand UL Premium at the pump. After they closed, I switched to the 100LL
    Luckily, in Indiana, we still have access to premium without ethanol. For how long, who knows. Over the years, I have personally worked on bikes that were brought to me with problems and many many times, returning the jetting to the correct range and changing the gas fixed it. It is my experience that you cannot correct junk fuel with jetting...
  2. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    As many here have said, it's all about trouble free fuel delivery. My biggest concern when the bike has sat awhile is if oil has separated in the carb bowl. I switched from maxima to golden spectre to help.
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is funny. I have not used Golden Spectrok since I sold my MAR Ossa in '76. I have been running Super M for one reason ever since. The little guys riding out of our shop on RM 80's. I got to see the inside of rhe motors regularly. Became a believer in Maxima, and they continued on to race Arenacros and Supercross as adults.
  4. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Wire hand

Wire hand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All oil will separate in the floatbowl after awhile espec if it is hot because the gas evaporates.I have been taught since I was a little kid to turn the gas on give it a shake and lay it over to get some gas in the bowl.If it has been idle for days.Av gas is great as a mixture to prevent knocking never had a problem with It.Never used it sstraight.Everyone has their own ways that work for them.No worries!
    Brewtus and Number Seven like this.
  6. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh hell, just use this:

IMG_0604.jpg
    Brewtus and Wire hand like this.
  7. rubicon1979

rubicon1979 Private Dancer

Oddometer:
    Avgas is just high quality gasoline. It's a little less dense than pump and might affect jetting. We all run it in our 2 strokes including my wife's GasGas contact. They're usually all jetted rich and throttle response is better. The rumors of less power and blah blah is all just rumors. For years it was the base used in all race gas.

Around here it's the same price as premium non ethanol and the local airport is on my way to work.

Some 4 strokes are jetted lean and avgas will make it worse. In my wife's last bike it would run lean with a white plug on avgas but ran fine on premium non ethanol. Lead is good for motors and was phased out due to epa not because it didn't work.
    Number Seven likes this.
  8. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Oh goody, another fuel thread. :csm
  9. Wire hand

Oddometer:
    Brewtus what do you know about fuel you blow hard.
    Brewtus likes this.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    He knows all oil and fuel threads lead to nowhere fast. I could go on but.....:dhorse
    KevinBB, Brewtus and Norman Foley like this.
  11. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't forget best displacement bike for a beginner threads!:y0!
    KevinBB, Brewtus and lineaway like this.
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    By the way last weekend I tried Bene's chain lube thread idea. Food grade chain lube. It did work pretty damn good. Of course I got it for free.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  13. Wire hand

Oddometer:
    It is funny.Just trying to get a rise out of Brewtus he knows me we ride together and drink beer together often.But he does not know I am on Adv!
  14. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday Brewtus the landscaper was busting his ass trimming the sections for the Roswell Nationals. Luckily he lives in that crappy Texas town. Otherwise he would be driving home in the snowstorm with the boys! Surprised he had any energy to chime into a fuel thread.
  15. Wire hand

Oddometer:
    I will see him at a trials on2 /18 and bring to him his cota 304.At that time I will ask what kind of fuel he likes.For his bikes that is.
  16. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I knew what he used to run (In Albuquerque), but now he is probably trading for it straight from the source. We will see you the 17th.
  17. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Alpineboard, I see you repeating this in a lot of threads. My research shows everyone of your claims to be false. So please post some sources to backup your claims. My sources that dispell your points are below.

"Low lead by Aviation standards only, it actually has approx. X 10 or 20 the lead that was in gas in the 1970's"---

Not true. Gas in the 1970s had 2-4 grams of lead per gallon (http://www.ethyl.environmentalhistory.org/?page_id=27). 100ll has 1-2 grams per gallon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas#100LL_(blue))

"AV gas has a grid type carbon chain which gives it a longer burn time for use in Airplanes"

Not true. The carbon chain in AVgas is 4-12 molecules long.(https://www.repsol.energy/en/products-and-services/aviation/avgas-100-ll/index.cshtml) Automotive gasoline has similar chains at 7-11 molecule carbon chains (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26415451)
  18. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Superlube?
  19. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Don't make me show everyone your picture now... :lol3

Your old 304 will get the same fuel I run in the rest of them, 100LL Aviation fuel. Don't care what folks think about it either. :D
    Norman Foley likes this.
  20. Wire hand

Oddometer:
    I have no shame!Thats good it has airplane juice in it now.
    Brewtus likes this.