1150 engine service videos

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Jarvis, Jun 5, 2006.

1. BeemerBill

BeemerBill fillerup agin'

Oddometer:
    One important inconsistency I notice is that in the beginning of the 600 mile service video he instructs you to measure the rocker end play gap at the top of the rocker arm. Later, he actually does the adjustment at the bottom, consistent with all other information I've seen on this procedure. I find there is about a .2mm difference in the gap at the top and the gap at the bottom.
  2. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Another aspect is that the pushrods have a slight up angle so measuring the rocker end gap from the bottom is 'better' since that is where the rocker 'sits' when being acted upon...

JJ
  3. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Very helpful for a new GS owner.:clap
  4. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I liked these very much. I'm going to use them to aid in my arguement for yet another tool....:rofl

Plus that cool beeping Snap-On wrench, $$$.
  5. MWM

MWM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Minnesota

Minnesota Conform or be cast out

Oddometer:
    When I replaced the head gaskets on my 2000 Ford Ranger, the 180 degree method was recommended as well. But I'll tell you, once we got that 180 degrees in, that sucker must have been close to 100 ft/lbs! Plus the head bolts are torx-types. It wasn't easy keeping the socket inside the torx hole while twisting that extra 1/2 turn.
  7. PhilLynot

PhilLynot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These videos are excellent! Thanks.
  8. bigrichard

bigrichard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sears sez the certification is for 10 - 100% of range on the ELECTROTORK so the calibration card bottom may not be the actual use bottom
  9. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    I just found this fishing around in one of the sticky's and am going to need to do some of the mentioned work. Just wanted to bump it in case it might save someone's ass. :lol3
  10. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Essentially, you are correct. If you are careful, the angle tool is not necessary. But initial torque is important. You are putting the studs into tension and stretching them to provide optimum compression of the head gasket.
  11. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Studs under similar tension is the desired result. The angle method provides more consistent tension at the four corners. BMW head gaskets never leak as a result.
  12. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    One thing to remember, prior to performing valve lash adjustment, make sure the engine is stone cold.
  13. NDSinBKK

NDSinBKK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you elaborate on that? Wouldn't the bolts be over-torqued with that process? And where do you get that tool he used?

Tks much, I also am not a mechanic, new 1150 owner and fully capable of making a lethal mistake when I try this for the first time...

S.
  14. TOOOLDTORIDE

TOOOLDTORIDE n00b

Oddometer:
    For some reason, I cannot view the videos. I open the link and they are blurred and bright yellow, red and green. Any idea what I am doing wrong. Thanks,:D
  15. wotafm

wotafm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    try viewing with a different player i get that sort of thing when using divx player so i switch to windows video player and it comes good