1. eNewsletter Sign Up

1150 GS Adv or 650GS Dakar...

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by kodiakfrank, Sep 3, 2006.

1. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    That is the question.

I need some advise from the learned folks of the world but, this being a long weekend and all, they are unavailable. So I will post my inquiry to the wonderful folks here...

As of late I have been seriously debating selling my 1150 GS Adv and buying a F650GS Dakar. The main reason for this is because of the condition of my back & neck ( 2 bulging discs in lower back, 2 bulging discs in neck) vs. the weight of the 1150.

Riding the machine is not the problem. The problem arises low or no speed when she decides to lay down and take a nap, much like at the Mining Camp (Thanks again, Globie!). I know I shouldn't drop it in the first place, but it happens and every time it does, I end up hurtin' for days.

What I need is your opinions...

Some pros & con for the 650 would be very helpful.

I'm sure folks will suggest other bikes and if you do please back it up with better reasoning than "Beemers suck".:deal

Thanks and let 'er rip.
    Frank
  2. RomperStromper

RomperStromper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    650Dakah is a good bike, I came very close to buying one, but I felt the power was not satisfing!.. but after spending a few weeks on a 1150 I had the weight issues u are dealing with... my choice (here go's no abise please) 650 Vstrom - why, well, it feels a lot like a 1150gs, power handeling etc. But it weighs about the same as the 650GS. I really like the bike, added crash bars and bashplate for some protection (a must) and I think it is a good alrounder.
    However I think the 65oGSPD would be a better choice if you were doing lots of dirt on day trips (no camping gear)... once you ad panniers and box their all going to be a hand full arnt they?

Just my Opinion, I just can't go back to riding a bike that doesn't have the throttle twist rush!!:D
    RS
  3. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    you meen this 1150 taking a nap? and Globie playing name that ass.:lol3 sorry I couldn't resist.I know about back pain I have a torn disk and it my not heal. the doc sez 500 day's then check to see if it did.:cry
    [​IMG]
  4. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Yea, I would have to agree...if you are ever in Anchortown...take a ride on my wee...and maybe Troy will let you take a spin on his 1000. AND, a fully farkled wee is only about $9k.
  5. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    I've managed to let the Pegaso sleep 3 times, twice while riding and once in the yard, pushing it around to get it pointed out the driveway, all 3 times it popped right back up without undue effort. So if you're buying a bike to drop, the 650's the one you want.

If you want to ride, especially if you're carrying Gloria, you may want to stick with the 1150. I lov my 650, and have kept it while a fair amount of other bikes have come and gone, but it really needs a power transfusion and you'll find it won't carry the gear an 1150 will.

I'm not sure that picking up a heavily loaded Strom is going to be much easier. Maybe what you need is a KTM 950...I've watched a certain member here pick his up and he made it look easy. Didn't even have time to deploy the camera! :wink:
  6. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Here's kinda what I am thinkin... Ultimately it comes down to what you want the bike to do. Obviously the 650 isn't as powerful as the 1150, but it isn't anywhere near as heavy. With DS riding, it really is a matter of time before the bike will take a nap; You never know where or when, and there may or may not be someone around to help.

This might seem like an odd idea, but you have that TA. Park the GSA and ride the TA exclusively for a while. See if that does what you want/need it to do. That could help answer the question. Load it up and go camping for a bit. Have Gloria hop on and take it for a spin to see if two-up is comfortable. While it is not a F650, it would be something quite similar, and then if it seems to work the way you want it too, spring for the F650...
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Moose has a point here... and my offer will likely still be good after you've thought about what you want to do. I'm just guessing here but I'd assume you've already ridden the T/A a fair chunk and don't like it. Heavy for the amount of ooomph it's got and just sort of dissatisfying if you like acceleration.

You'll probably find the 650 Dakar to not be all that different.

That said, there are always a few locals looking to swap what they've got for something bigger so if you wanted to trim down you could likely find somebody w/ a Dakar that wanted a GS or similar bike. Greef comes to mind but there are probably several here that'd be interested in a swap.

I've got spinal fractures and hate to lift my 950 or any other of the big bikes. Often it's not so much just the bike but all the crap I've got stuck to it. When 5 and I took the 950 for a quick scuba dip out behind the Willow mining district it just so happened that there really wasn't much else on the bike and it popped up w/out too much cussing. A couple hours before (on that same morning) I watched it walk off it's sidestand and wind up sloping downhill. Weren't fun but ...it again didn't have much on it. Putting a bunch of gear up high on the bike makes it just that much uglier come lift time.

Lots of stuff to consider but none of the possible solutions will make hoisting a typical big bore bike loaded w/ gear a smooth clean and jerk. I have been thinking about the old 650 KTM's though. Maybe an E model w/out all the plastic. Probably lighter than the Dakar by quite a bit but I'm not certain. Stuff a barcalounger seat on it and it just might work.
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    maybe a trike or put a hack on that GS power and hard to tip over. next year I will be on a trike some of the time maybe to Dawson next year.
  9. kodiakfrank

Oddometer:
    We had thought about keeping the Transalp but decided to sell it for a couple of reasons:limited garage space :cry , and not wanting to take a full faired bike too far off the beaten path. I like coming out of the trail with as many parts as I went in with.

I have talked to a few other 1150 Adv riders and have been given some simple solutions that might help;

1. Take heavy drugs for the back and be too stoned to ride and or to give a shit if I drop her.

2. Extend the side stand by an inch or so to lessen the chances of it falling over in the first place (great engineering on BMW's part).

3. When it does fall over, unpack all the gear and do the backwards lift with my legs thingie, much like Globie showed me.

Solution #1, while very very apealing, is just not practicle.

So I think a combanation of #'s 2 & 3 will be the best thing to try before making the leap to another bike.
  10. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    Ride something with Balls and comfort GET A ULY.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TR:huh
  11. kodiakfrank

Oddometer:
    TR, when you said your wife cut them off, I thought you were kidding.:eek1 :lol3

I like the look of the Uly but I'm just not a fan of the power plant.

Friar's thoughts about puttin a sidecar on the GS sounds real interestng. I've always wanted a hack, just don't know anyone with one on a GS or if it would have to be a one off kind of deal.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good web site for hacks?
  12. fugawi

fugawi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. sr87

sr87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya I ride a fn650 because Im a wus and cannot pick up a GS
    My Brother has Two a 1000 and a 1150 both have URAL Side cars
    Its just the ticket for him lots of kids and dogs and girls can all hop on
    Oh By the way my last bike was a URAL with a Hack it was too Slow
    For me so on with the Fn650
  14. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    Next time your in Anc. Ride mine and see what you think. Or mabe a Leman Trike.:clap SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH.

15. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:

Dauntless has a Ural side car that can be put on a GS.
    http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/Sidecars/dualsportsidecars.htm

I was looking for one for my KLR and did quite a bit of research. There is a Ural dealer in Chugiak, that is also a dealer for Dauntless. Give him a call, I am sure he can help you out..........

Classic Motorcycles & Sidecars of Alaska

24291 Platsek Drive, Chugiak, AK 99567
    Phone: (907) 632-4376
    Fax: (907) 688-6699
    trikeman@gci.net
  16. Dawntreader

Dawntreader Tim Horton's or bust

Oddometer:
    I have a 03 F650GS Dakar with about 50,000 km on it now. I love it, it does eveything. With a few mods here and there its quite comfortable for the long rides. I just drove it from BC to Ontario. If you do alot of paved road riding you can change the sprockets on it and it becomes a nice cruiser. I even made a set of hiway pegs that help stretch the legs on the long runs. Off roading it is just a matter of what tires you have on it. For the most part it will do anything its just how you choose to config it.
  17. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    If I was going down to a 650 for light wt and off road/dirt why spend more $$ than you have to? I love the KLR for an all around bike. For two up touring the 1150 is the best for me, but solo and going off the beaten path I love to rally the KLR. I am not comfortable doing that with something I paid big $$ for.

But I am a teacher who has not had a decent contract since I started in the early 90's and they keep getting worse, so if you can spend the money - get a BMW. (although I kind of like the idea of a KTM...)
  18. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Note to KFrank:

DO NOT SELL THE 1150 ADV.

Fite
  19. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    I think they should pay teachers a decent wage. othewise the kid will end up like me 21 college english credits and still cann't spell.:clap :lol3 Plus I'm a

good Union member. Congrats on voting that contract down. They will come

up with the MONEY! They always do.:D

20. ak greeff

ak greeff fukengreeffen

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]