1150 GS Alterntor melted?!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by donned, Sep 12, 2019.

1. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that I think of it, aluminum melts before copper so it has to be something else. Maybe the damper ring from the rotor. in any case there are several rebuilders listed for Vegas on google so call one and see what kind of vibe you get.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I removed an alternator from a 1150 with ABS , be prepared to skin some knuckles and have some fun.
    SmittyBlackstone and gonzomup like this.
  3. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also assumed it was rubber. I thought the damper rings and other rubber bits were black in color but who knows? Regardless it shouldn't be coming out of the alternator...
  4. gonzomup

gonzomup ChainGang Recidivist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed the Euromoto upgraded VR with my alternator in-situ, didn’t need to remove the ABS pump. Not the same as replacing the alternator outright...my point is Tuckers is spot-on. Plan on losing some skin when you do it, but do it nonetheless, just like everyone is suggesting.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. donned

donned Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input. In the process of sourcing a new alternator and hopefully have a decent space to do the work while staying with a friend in San Diego. Bike got very hot again going through LA traffic today. Voltage dropped as low as 12.5. No whining or otherwise notable symptoms.

Before the trip this bike has had a rebuilt gearbox, new extended spline clutch, new clutch slave cylinder, rebuilt and reshimmed final drive, upgraded nitron shock, rebuilt throttle bodies, new fork seals, new fuel pump and filter.

I appreciate "penny wise, pound foolish" but I also don't feel like swapping out parts while on the road without some impartial logic and facts behind it. Thats what I was after in this case and that's what this forum is so good at providing, so thanks for that.

Will see how this little hick-up fairs out and post gorey pictures if I get them

Edit..HES replaced just before the trip also.
  6. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ Awesome! Seems like you are on track for an epic journey and I wish you all the best!!:clap:clap
    donned likes this.
  7. Dan Cãta

Dan Cãta Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you manage to remove the gas tank and have a look at it?
    There is some red insulator on the + thick wire as I remember, perhaps that one melted...
    Anyway, rarely does an alternator give up on these bikes... perhaps there is another issue somewhere causing this to happen.

Dan.
  8. donned

donned Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As we enjoyed a rare stay (and complimentary drinks) in a hotel last night, I wondered if this might be the case. I haven't had a chance to investigate as I'm saving that for when we get to San Diego tomorrow. It would be nice if that's the case.

I have a fuse block powering the sat nav, LED lights and associated switch. The fuse block is relayed from the rear tail light. I plan on giving that wiring a good inspection also. Time will tell, if we make it that far.ha
  9. donned

donned Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well....turns out this "rare failure" got a little weirder.

A simple battery test showed 12.6V at the terminals with the bike off. Bike running, with lights on gave 13.8V. Seems good.

Primed for the worst, I then got the tank off. What we saw was almost so rediculous that we could only laugh.

In Newport Oregon, about 3 weeks ago, me and my girlfriend tried salt water taffy for the first time. We got a bag, with 2 of each flavour so we could both try one, but when it came to the strawberry and banana taffy, there was only one left. Oh well, we halved it.

Looks like we finally found that missing taffy, melted onto the top of our alternator! It got around both positive and negative connections and was a sticky mess. I guess when it heated up it would short across the cables or something weird.

I picked out most of the crap, disconnected and cleaned/sanded both wires. Did a general tidy up, inspectipn and and clean of the area and put it back together.

Rode the bike for a total of 2hrs today and the voltage hasn't dropped below 13.7V.

Pretty unbelievable turn of luck, with no busted knuckles and a total of zero dollars. No idea how that thing got down there, as we had them in a backpack and not the tank bag. All's well that ends well, and we're glad we can get back on the road soon.

See for yourselves...

20190915_160813.jpg 20190915_160903.jpg 20190915_162459.jpg 20190915_181243.jpg
  10. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that is a fortuitous stroke of luck.

It would have been nice to know at the beginning of the thread that you had stopped for salt water taffy, we would have nailed it right off ;-)
  11. GroceryRun

GroceryRun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the annals of trouble-shooting, this has got to be one of the first.
    donned likes this.
  12. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What I want to know... Did you eat the found candy?
  13. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    We'll need to keep an eye on you....:umph :lol3
  14. zaxrex

zaxrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Case closed.
  15. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    Man, that must have been a relief.