1150GS Spark plug cross-reference?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Trixie, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    :1zhelp

I was wondering if anyone has bothered to cross-ref the NGKs with something more appropriate, like a Bosch, or an Autolite plug.

I'm not a big fan of NGK

Will the 1100GS autolite plugs work in the 1150?
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Autolite 3923 works fine.

fish
  3. ALu

ALu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Todd !

You can use

- the Bosch Platinum FR6DP1 (whiche I have in my own bike) or
    - the Champion RC7YCC, which some guys here in Germany use

Don´t worry about the 6 in the Bosch´s number, Bosch uses a different scheme.

Andreas
  4. Trixie

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Andreas

I was looking at the Bosch site, and noticed thay now have the new, super-duper Platinum +4 plug available. Unfortunately, Bosch seems to have forgotten all about motorcycles on their webpage application charts, so hopefully your Bosch number will cross-ref to something meaningful.

I guess the plug manufaturers have managed to extend the life of a spark plug to the point that the market is beginning to shrink as there is a decreasing replacement market.

Remember when plugs used to cost ~ $0.89, and you just replaced them every so often?:(:

Now we gotta get a loan to go buy a set...

Fish is right, though- the autolites work just as well, and are cheap.
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I tried a pair of the +4 plugs (4418) in my 1150RT and it was horrible. Seemed to induce surging. I recommend against, even tho some of the guys on the 1100RT (the *much* slower bike ;) forum said they were dog's gift to oilheads. YMMV.

:confused:
  6. Trixie

Oddometer:

I wish BMW would get its act together, and be either consistently bad, or consistently good. Seems like there are two opposing results for any mod done to a given model of bike.... :mad:

Since I don't experience any surging, I guess I will stick with what I know works for now. Maybe I'll experiment on my Gaspe trip next week, and pop in a different set each day to see what happens.
  7. ALu

ALu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Todd !

The Bosch Platinum I´m using isn´t a +4 plug. I read somewhere that Bosch doesn´t recommend using the +4 plus in bikes, because they weren´t designed for that. The electrodes could break ...

But you´re right, wait till you see the price: I bought mine for about 15$ ... I think the Chapmion´s are cheaper and nearly as good, but Champion doesn´t sell any plugs in Germany any more, so I couldn´t test them.

But the price for the Bosch was worth it, my bike runs a lot better now, I had surging wih the NGK plugs.

cu

Andreas
  8. Mona

Mona n00b

Oddometer:
    I have used both platinum versions and now settled on 4417 Plus 4's. They have been in for a little over 6k and I have checked them once and the looked only a tad hot. They have sustained 6k+ rpm for 15-20 minutes without toasting and seem to give much easier cold weather starting and running. My mid year '94 11GS has never had a serious surge problem and only after taking over the tune-ups myself has the thing ever ran so smooth. The +4's improved the whole range though I thought the regular 4201 seemed to idle smoother. I also think the +4's improved midrange throttle response noticeably.

I'm surprised Bosch would comment at all on their use in Bikes since they are way to hot for the typical high horse motorcycle engine. An equivalent 6 range would likely be better for RS or S versions, maybe a 5. They don't make those...

Fish mentioned the 4418, ouch, way hot. I would expect terrible mid to high range misses and a very short life.

Clark
  9. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone else using 4418 or 4417 in their 1150GS? The dogs at BMWRT do like these plugs, both models, though they also noted the 4417 is the cooler plug. I picked up a pair of 4418s to try today, only $6 each.

Any other opines on plugs?
  10. Penquino

Penquino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran 4418's in my 00 GS for about 30,000 klm. They did'nt seem to make any difference over the NGK but were more available and much cheaper. They always seem to have the right shade of tan when I checked.