1150GS Vibration at all RPM

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mmaiers92, Jul 13, 2018.

1. mmaiers92

mmaiers92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all, I have a 2004 r1150GS with 91,000 miles that developed a vibration that seems to follow engine rpm. the problem began after flushing the servo brake system. It idles rough, feels lumpy at lower rpm, and buzzes at higher rpm, enough to blurr mirrors and put my hands and feet to sleep at 90mph. If I pull in the clutch the vibration ceases (with no throttle). I have adjusted the valves, and built a monometer for TB sync. when syncing I cannot get the columns to stay aligned, if I balance at 3500 rpm once I change rpm the columns will move out of balance again, idle seems to stay constant. I replaced the throttle cables, and have tried loosening and readjusting the cables with the same result while syncing. I cannot detect any looseness in the throttle shafts. i have run the engine on the primary coils only, and the secondary coils only, with no change to the vibration. plugs have about 6k on them and look fantastic.

I am little at my whits end with this, I am planning on removing the injectors and looking at the spray pattern, and possibly replacing the 02 sensor (however I dont think that is the cause). Hopefully some of you will have some good ideas for more diagnostics, money is tight right now and i cant really throw money at the problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
  2. gratefulJED

gratefulJED long strange tripper Supporter

Oddometer:
    umm, wow. I don't know how or why the flush may have caused this, although I don't know much. I could'nt say why it started right after that, but I don't see where you looked at the valves or rocker end play. Make sure the throttle cables are seated correctly at the throttle body. The sync comes after all that, and you keep one BBS as a reference and adjust the other. My brother in law works over at Clark's sheet metal. He has an 04, and is a wrench and sharp as a tack. Perhaps he could point you to his mechanic or help you out. Good luck. You are driving a tractor though lol.
  3. mmaiers92

Oddometer:
    Im really not sure what happened, when putting the tank back on one of the throttle cables came out of its seat, which is why i pursued the the TB sync first. When TB sync didnt work I adjusted the valves, and set endplay to to .002", I also cleaned the throttle pulleys of aby debris. The bike seems to have the same amount of power as when it was running well.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tank off for the servo-ABS flush. Hmmmm, what could it be? Maybe?
    [​IMG]

If not in the throttle bodies, assuming at least 1mm slack, then it is in the bowden box, with the cable not fully seated.
    djroszina and black lightning like this.
  5. The Fabricator

The Fabricator I didn't know it wasn't possible so I did it.

Oddometer:
    I presume you adjusted the valves after you noticed the vibration. Out a lot? Check compression. Could be something as easy as loose engine mounts.
    TB synch moving around--air leaking at throttle shafts? Feel for looseness. When idling, spray carb cleaner at the shafts. The engine will respond if the cleaner gets sucked in around the shafts. Doubt synch would affect vibration at 90. My 2000 r1150gs vibrates a lot at that rpm. You have experience riding at 90 so you know it's different?
  6. mmaiers92

Oddometer:
    Throttle cables are seated, valve adjustment was after noting the vibration. Right side intake was set to .012", which if my memory serves me right is what the exhaust are supposed to be. Bringing valves back into spec had no effect on the symptom. I commute on I15 100 miles every day, 90-95mph is pretty common, when i first got the bike it was almost like an electric motor, some noted vibration above 4000rpm but very reasonable. Now it is very unpleasant, and my previous bike was a 1991 softail.
  7. mmaiers92

Oddometer:
    Throttle shafts have prett minimal play, approx .002" a vacuum leak sounds pretty plauseable. Ill check the TB boots really closely tonight. I was considering doing a compression check just for grins, the oddity though is that this problem occured overnight.
  8. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    bad stick coil (s)
    Nesbocaj likes this.
  9. mmaiers92

Oddometer:
    That is what I was hoping for aswell, but as I stated above I have ridden the bike with the secondary plugs disconnected, and there was no change to the vibration.
  10. mmaiers92

Oddometer:
    Both ignition systems are functioning, when running independently on either the engine does not misfire.
  11. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    Sounds liek you don't mind getting your hadns dirty. Try disconnecting the O2 sensor. Many bikes run better that way. I'm not sure it will help your problem, but it's worth trying.
  12. mmaiers92

Oddometer:
    Im a mechanic by trade, and a full time tinkerer I actually just unplugged the O2 sensor and took it for a spin and it ran considerably better. Better idle, started faster, faster throttle response and much less vibration. I believe i may have the culprit. I remember reading there are a few different generic P/N sensors that work
  13. Jim H

Jim H Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One such "generic" is Bosch 15109, available online in the range of $50-60. The sensor appears identical and it has the right connector at the other end of a sufficient length of wire.
    thechief86 and djroszina like this.
  14. mmaiers92

Oddometer:
    Hey my GS has the same paint scheme! I just ordered a Bosch 15729 from Rockauto for $20 which I understand works well, you have to solder it in though. Thanks for the reply
  15. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    Leave it unplugged.
    Steve W. likes this.
  16. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    My 01 runs like a clock, O2 unplugged for years.
  17. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto.
  18. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t solder it in, Bosch warns against it. The O2 sensor gets its reference oxygen through the space between the wires, soldering can block that. Btw, the O2 sensor should have no effect on your problem. Perhaps something else moved when you took the tank off to disconnect the O2.

The vibration was likely due to an imbalance in L/R throttle opening. Each throttle should come off its stop and hit WOT exactly at the same moment. Sometimes grit can get in the pulley groove and know them out of sync. It’s also possible that one of your injectors isn’t clean enough—Techron or a trip to a cleaner often works.

My ‘04RT and now my ‘01GS run like yours used to. Stay at it and you’ll find the problem.
    BluByU likes this.
  19. mmaiers92

Oddometer:
    Well then I shall follow whatever directions come with the O2 sensor. I have tried balancing it several times, even replaced the throttle cables, cleaned the throttle pulleys, and tried using different balance tools, All the same results. I wasnt convinced the O2 sensor could cause such a problem (although it is 91k old) but there is a significant difference between plugged in and unplugged.
  20. mmaiers92

Oddometer:
    I tried riding the bike with the O2 sensor unplugged but it didnt like it in the freeway, I believe I experienced the surging everyone talks about. As soon as the sensor was plugged back in it was gone. Anywho, installed the new sensor tonight, and balanced the the TB's. It responded much more linearly than before. We shall see how it does in the morning when I ride to work.