1190 cutting out after big pot hole

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by sweetlou, May 19, 2019.

1. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    I’m trying to figure out a weird random gremlin. Once every few weeks I hit a pothole juuuusssttt right and my 1190 loses power briefly. It feels like I let go of the throttle. It lasts maybe 2 seconds before power restores. No dashboard lights, absolutely no indication in any way, other than the brief loss of power.

If I turn the throttle during the interruption I get a slight change in intake noise - sorta like how a bogging out carb bike sounds.

I was thinking the pothole was causing the TCS to come on momentarily, cutting ignition, but I don’t get the idiot light on the dashboard.

I am just over 15000 miles and probably due for a fuel filter change (stock filter) but again, don’t see how this would be the cause. Once power returns it’s ON. Runs great.

Anyone experience anything similar? Also fuel level as of today’s hiccup is around half tank. Temp 70 degree, but happened a few times in the 30s over the winter. Today was the first time since winter.

Thanks

Lou
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Find your pot hole and keep hitting it, if that's the only time it does it,

Then find a pattern of symptoms, and start eliminating things till you find the cause...

If I was you I'd turn the electrics fully off and go try again a few times
  3. kuyohtay

kuyohtay Adventurer

Oddometer:

I think it is the IMU/EBS/ABS System. The front end / rear drops, rotation of wheels (speed) changes, the forks / shock expand-compress, etc. The system considers all this "dangerous" and the system modifies engine characteristics (that it can): cuts spark, cuts fuel, modifies butterfly position, etc.

Don't hit the pot hole, finding out is unnecessary!

It all works man, be grateful, you probably bought it for the GR8 Systems on the bike!

Ed, ;>)
  4. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Turn it all off, then find the pot hole...

If it's the safety systems kicking in youl know... As if it's all turned off, it won't kick in..
  5. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious Lou, do you have cruise control?
    I had a similar problem and I had the module replaced.
    You could go to your dealer and see if there is any codes recorded on the computer.
    brgsprint likes this.
  6. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    I have aftermarket cruise control... the Brandon distributing company. Cruise is OFF during these instances. Tell me more?
  7. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's my understanding that they use the same module as the MC Cruise which I have.
    So even though the cruise might not be use, there is still an interface via the ride by wire.
    I suppose you would call it a pass through when the cruise is not in use.
    I wrote about it here, https://advrider.com/f/threads/who-...0-adv-read-this.1038401/page-81#post-37483896
    To eliminate the cruise control as being the issue, you could disconnect where it interfaces with the TBW behind the headstock.
  8. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kickstand sensor?
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  9. desmo666

desmo666 Lost Presumed Fed

Oddometer:
    the world, especially the Middle East and Africa
    Yeah, side stand switch
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  10. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    A weak spring on the side stand allows it to swing down a bit and trip the switch.
    OR... as said above, a glitchy switch.

I’ve had the spring problem before. My side stand had two springs (on a Honda). One broke, so it was enough to raise the stand but it would act up when I hit bumps.

JT
    sweetlou and ScooterNoMore like this.
  11. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking side stand too. Put a bungee on it and find a few pot holes.
    sweetlou and Wodger63 like this.