1190 EDS Failure - Fork Rebound Stepper Motor

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by bikemoto, Apr 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    My bike (2016 year) has an EDS failure warning on the dash. The diagnostic computer says it's a fork rebound stepper motor fault. Has anyone encountered this before? Any known/easy fixes?

Looking at the parts diagrams, that stepper motor is in the fork cap? Seems like it just provides an electric version of the manual screw mechanism in traditional forks. From memory when I changed the fork oil, there's no wires or other electric connections below the cap. For disassembly the instructions I read simply said unscrew the fork cap from the cartridge pretty much like normal.

If that is correct, and replacement is the only option, does anyone who's removed the EDS have fork caps spare they'd be willing to sell?

Or am I mistaken and there's something else I have to replace? Whole fork leg?? :(

TIA
  2. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    The caps and motors screw off and on. No reason you can't just replace the cap
    bikemoto likes this.
  3. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brian. That was the impression I got from reading the various EDS threads, too.
  4. sproot

sproot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the stepper motor just alter the damping, or the preload as well? Seems like a pretty small motor if it's doing the preload, the preload motor on the rear is pretty big.
  5. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I thought I saw a thread around here recently that confirmed that preload adjustment was on rear shock only.

I can't say I've ever noticed the front moving when you change the load setting, but the rear ride height changing is very noticeable.