1190 High Fender

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by DirtJack, Oct 10, 2014.

1. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeff Slavens sent an add for a KTM 1190 high fender mount. That caught my eye as I had done a high fender mount for my 990 and it worked out well. I received my mount (it is actually produced by Flatland Racing so you could get it there also).

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the Slavens/Flatland mounting plate. It consists of a plate, 4 spacers and 4 screws. It also has mounting hardware for a new horn mount since you remove the old horn mount which is attached to the round cover which is bolted to the triple clamp bottom. I am not able to use the horn mount since I have installed Cyclops H11 LED headlights and the new horn mount interferes with their resistor paks.

[​IMG]

I decided that I would try to adapt the standard old style KTM dirt bike fork guards which had full coverage on the back side. These were used on the 2008-2012 dirt bikes. I ordered a set in white from EBay. Mine were made by Acerbis.

[​IMG]

These were always a pain to get on/off KTM's, so I always slit the backs with a sharp knife. Doesn't alter their protection capability and makes them easy on/off. You have to trim them in several places to fit them around the low fender mounting points, but I was careful to leave the lower mounting holes so I could fasten them to the fork bottoms using a zip tie on each guard. They are as securely fastened as on my other two bikes. I used Shock Sox to protect the bottom of the fork sliders when they contact the fork guards. These also help keep dirt away from the seals.

[​IMG]

The fender is a KTM 690 SMC white front fender (part no 7730821000028 )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The brake lines use white plastic cable holders zip tied to the back of the fork guards (no photos of this yet). I'm not sure these are really needed.
  2. Hoologan

Hoologan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, that fender looks like it was made to use on that bike. The body lines even match up.

I'm not jazzed about the fork guards, but whatever works for you. I wonder if modifying a stock fender (cutting the fender part off) would be a good option? This way it retains the stock mounting points, etc.
    Green Boy likes this.
  3. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    If you cut the fender off, what's left won't supply much protection. I didn't mention this, but it's about a 15 minute job to go back to the stock front fender if you know there's no possibility of mud. :D
  4. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Would rather see the SX-f fender.
  5. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    2013, 2014? Would require different mounting hardware. The Flatland mounting adapter requires the older style fender, but you might be able to use an adapter for the newer style fender mount.
  6. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there any extra part to be fitted on the bottom yoke to handle the fender?

can you get us a picture of the whole bike, looking sideways? just to get a glimpse of perspective
  7. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    The Flatland kit includes a flat plate that mounts to the bottom triple clamp using the holes that the center cover attaches (it is removed and not used) and the holes that mount the two brake lines. The plate is drilled and tapped for the standard, pre 2013, KTM dirt bike fenders. The plate and fender pretty much cover the hole left by removing the center cover. The horn needs to be re-mounted and an adapter for that is included.

[​IMG]

More pics later.

[​IMG]
  8. CaliBerger

CaliBerger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes
    Pictures of entire bike out in the open please
  9. Martyred

Martyred Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have done it like this:

[​IMG]

Adapter looks like that:

[​IMG]

And with the distance blocks, because of the brake wiring(??!!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waht you need:
    - Adaptor plate as shown!
    - 1x Fender Nr. 6030801000033 53,29 € (the 14 Frontfender of the 1190. This one must be cutted off, in two peaces for the forkprotection.)
    - 1x Fender for example from the 950 Superenduro Nr. 7650801000004
    - 2x FRONT BRAKE HOSE GUIDE 06 Nr. 60013025100 4,28 €
    - 2x RUBBER FOR BRAKE HOSE GUIDE'03 Nr. 60013025050 1,13 €
    - 4x COLLAR BUSHING 7,2X10X15X8,5 Nr. 62508009000 3,57 €
    - 2x Distance socket D=20mm M6 H=24mm
    - 2x Distance socket D=12mm M6 H=14mm
    - 2x M6 countersunk screw 40mm
    - 2x M6 countersunk screw 30mm
    - eventually. 4 M6 screws for the mount of the fender to the adapter plate. ISO 4762 M6 x 16 --- 16N

(p.s. in german here)
    Zugg Zugg, airwater, KTMSAM and 2 others like this.
  10. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good! Any problem with it hitting the radiator guard? When I did my 990 I was running into this issue. Been debating on doing the 1190.
  11. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    So, DirtJack, you are using no part of the original fender / fork protectors? I would love to see pics of the back and inside of the fork protectors installed, as well as the actual instructions that came with the Slavens kit. Also how the Shock Sox are installed to protect the fork sliders.

MartyRed, it looks like you cut the fender off the stock assembly and used the fork protectors, then purchased a SM fender for the install. Your picture of the brackets (adapters) actually shows 3 pieces, I'm assuming you only use one of them and that's a stock photo or you were doing more than one bike? How do you secure the top of the stock fork protectors after you cut the fender off?

I need this mod, just trying to decide what direction I'm going.

Cheers

PMR
  12. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    The Slavens/Flatland mounting plate offsets the fender slightly forward (as does Marty). Plenty of clearance for radiator guard and crash bars (KTM). The first post now has a picture of the mounting plate.
  13. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    I added some more pictures to the first post. Shock Sox are Velcro/neoprene rubber protectors to keep debris from the outer dust seals. Here's a link. I've used them on my bikes for years. The First Post now has some additional pictures.
  14. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I have always liked the idea of a high fender on the 1190, just not the available options. But then again I like almost anything that breaks from the herd so what others have done here is great to see and a good starting place for further design options. Glad they posted them up.

I tend to like the thought of keeping the present fender and modifying it to something like below with a high fender similar also. I like the more straight type high fender as I think it matches the present styling. The existing fender could be trimmed and keep the present plastic lower guards. Maybe something to tinker with over the winter.

ordered the Slaven's kit so we will see what happens

[​IMG]
  15. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    You want the 2008 690 E/SMC/Super Enduro fender then. They are hard to find in colors other than Orange. But color is no problem for you. :D I used a 2009-2012 690 R/SMC fender as they are easy to find in various colors. And they have the proper vents for the 1190 radiator.

I have a black 2008 690E fender on my 690 that I could move to the 1190 for a pic if you want.
  16. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    crap....just thought of this. not sure this will work with the upper crash guards because of where they bolt together up front under the chin area.. Oh well, we will see, if not someone will get it on the cheap
  17. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Here's a picture of the protectors off the bike.

[​IMG]

The first cut is to split the protectors down the back so they can be installed without removing the fork tubes. I trimmed about 1 1/2 inches off the top of the protectors so they don't hit the bottom triple clamp at full compression. There is a slot at the bottom front to clear the OEM front fender mounts. This keeps the protectors from rotating when zipped to the fork bottoms. You also have to enlarge the slot on each side to clear the larger 1190 rotors. You also have to put a notch on the bottom edge to clear the rotor bolts. I use a new box knife and was able to do all the cuts in less than 30 minutes. Very easy to do along with trial fittings.
  18. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Some more pictures after putting on my dirt wheels for a ride this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Well maybe not. There's a fair amount of clearance on the fender I'm using (about 3 1/2 inches).

[​IMG]
  20. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Marty, I've been following your thread. Your bike looks great. :D