1190 or CRF

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by 5105, Dec 6, 2019.

1. 5105

5105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Help a guy out. Can buy a new 2017 AT for about $9500, or a 3k mile 1190R with Tusk boxes and a few extras for $10k. Always had Honda in the garage to this point. Probably mostly highway, with the occasional foray on a fire road or just a dirt road to who knows where. Have one trip in mind that would probably be near 3k miles total.

Been a long time since I have had a road bike, body is starting to say dirt bike days are waning.

Like the expected reliability and knowing I can find a Honda dealer about any where. Like the looks, hp, of the KTM

To be fair, I’ll ask the orange forum, too.
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I had a 2016, a 2017 and i'm now on a 2018 Africa Twin. All were DCT. Combined +70k miles on them, mostly touring. Very little dirt. I'll get another if I need to replace this one.
  3. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Why do you get a decent test ride on both
  4. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Ride both, see which one pushes your button harder. If you're a mostly dirt guy you may find the AT suspension too soft.
  5. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    that is where i was but I'm to short for the KTM and I'm cheap and prefer to buy 87 octane gas.
    I am really happy with my '17 AT that I got new for $8999+all the dealer crap.
    neanderthal likes this.
  6. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a former 1190 adventure s owner I would ask if you need a bike that runs a 10s 1/4 mile and can go 0-60 in 2.9 sec ? The best milage I could get was about 36mpg. I would also test ride it and let it warm up good to see if the heat on your right leg is acceptable to you. If you really want to feel the power turn off the traction control , crazy fast. My gas gauge would hang up at times also. Sport mode was my favorite but still didn't like the nanny helping me. It has great suspension to go with all that power and is still fast riding 2 up. But , I didn't enjoy the back roads like I do on lighter bikes and ended up getting a drz400s and using the 1190 for road duty , like many do. The air box issues were a concern for me. The deal breaker was riding it into the city on a hot day with jeans on. It felt like my pant leg could have caught on fire. Using riding pants on cooler days, it's not an issue.

I know the R looks better but for your riding the S with electronic suspension might be the better choice. I would bet the AT gets better milage and has a power output that you could actually flog a bit. If I wanted a large adventure bike I would probably try the AT next. But for me the Yamaha T7 is checking the right boxes for my wants. NO nanny needed , or tank removal to check your air filter , good mpg , lighter . I don't do long distance touring , dam back , and ride mostly solo. Anyway good luck.
  7. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no experience with the 1190 except having a guy in one along in a ride once. I've had a '17 AT for 3 weeks and ~700 miles.

That said, I love the Africa Twin. Easy power delivery down low threat builds linearly to a nice zoom at the top. It's not super fast, but it's plenty exciting. Cruises at about speed I've asked and will hit triple digits without difficulty. It's comfortable and practical.

The KTM is going to have more power and better suspension. More than that, I'll leave for someone with experience to say.
  8. pandamanprod

pandamanprod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My vote would go to an AT - suspension being what it is, the motor is absolutely fantastic - it is incredibly comfortable - and along the lines of what everyone else what indicating service and the like would be a bit easier. I also understand the AT to be a bit more manageable at slower speeds on account of the lower center of gravity. More Power on the 1190, but only if you actually plan on using it. Otherwise it might hamper the offroading you do plan on doing. The AT really does Rev like a Single off idle. Plenty of juice for most everyone.
  9. McBoab

McBoab Fast side of farty

Oddometer:
    Owned a 1st year 950Adv which I loved but early adopter issues and a hankering for a sports bike (again) "made" me swap, Many years later I bought an 1190R Adv thinking it would be more of the same and better (it was a 4th year model so debugged?) In the end I was only disappointed in the 1190R , it was front end heavy, vibey and weaved like a drunk pig on anything getting close to full throttle. I'm ow on an 18 ATAS and its like a modern updated 950Adv and I love it. Get the AT .
  10. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    You say dirt bike days are waning. In that case, I hope you aren't considering taking those choices off road too far. They're pigs compared to dirt bikes.
    Have you considered a standard? That would make it easier going with Honda.