11TH ANNUAL CADVR 10 (Cliff Notes Version) Aug 16-19 2018 Boulder Junction, WI

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Bonebag, Mar 26, 2018.

?

Favorite type of Beer for Rally 10 2018

1. Stout

19.2%
  2. Lager

28.3%
  3. Light

7.5%
  4. Pilsner

17.5%
  5. IPA

28.3%
  6. Barley Wine Mega hoop ya eh wow!!

3.3%
  7. I just love the Sprecher Root Beer Thanks

18.3%
  8. Black Beers

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rapid_Roy

Rapid_Roy Rachael's Dad Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, I'm not in a comma.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I was just back up north riding the back country again yesterday. Except this time it was with my UTV and I was working. It reminded me that I have to make it a point to put some trips on the calendar to get up there and ride more. Tracks are available so people can go anytime in their own small group. Always a good time.

Anyway, Baldy offered us the chance to do some posting about the rally in a new site he is building. The new site is invite only at this time, so it is pretty nice that he gave us a link that has an invite embedded into it. Once you follow the link, just do a quick registration (less than a minute) and then add your comments and ideas related to the rally, how we got there in the first place, and anything else relevant to the rally and how we connect and became a family of sorts using social media. It is kind of a fun site and there is no need to be too serious. Sharing a photo with your comments makes for a nice discussion.

Give it a try! Thanks and I'll "see" you over there!

https://www.cake.co/conversations/9...gain-the-power-of-connecting-online?sp=RIDERS
    Tuna209, OU812, Blue Mule and 4 others like this.
  3. Mmhm

Mmhm Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Baldy do you have printable quality photos uploaded somewhere that us tech challenged goofballs can get them from? Maybe not just this great group photo but others you captured also?
  4. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Yes, I made a SmugMug gallery with the photos and you can buy prints or download the photos from there. Only problem is I've only uploaded a few of the photos I shot, but over the weekend I'll upload lots more.

I'm going to write up a story or two over the weekend about the rally to give it more visibility to all of ADV because it was amazing.

[​IMG]
    Boyd, Bultaco206, Rapid_Roy and 8 others like this.
  5. Oddball

Oddball Faking it.

Oddometer:
    The more I read the more I’m sorry I was not their for the everyone else.
    bomber60015 and Mark_O like this.
  6. Mark_O

Mark_O Drain Bamaged Supporter

Oddometer:
    :stupid
    OU812 likes this.
  7. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Remind me of how the rally started? I heard something like there was a thread where Bonebag said we should have a rally and people piled on and agreed and said the good news is you get to be the organizer since you suggested it. So he hired a barmaid named Brit that he met 2 months before for the first rally. She was nice.
    foxfire, Bultaco206, Tuna209 and 2 others like this.
  8. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  9. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL!! From 10 years ago. How'd that work out for ya??
    foxfire, OU812 and Baldy like this.
  10. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    And how did this work out for ya Geoff?? Poor lil fella. Fell right into her trap. LOL!!
    Baldy, OU812 and reveille like this.
  11. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    The story I gathered was Bonebag and Northwoods Yeti were tooling around the southeast and happened upon Ricks Rendezvous. After having a stellar time, he basically said “Why don’t we have something like this in WI?”

I met Bonebag at rally #1, and we have gotten along famously since. Once he gets an idea planted that has any minute chance of succeeding, he will run with it.
    Klay, Blue Mule, Baldy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Northwoods Yeti

Northwoods Yeti Almost house broken

Oddometer:
    That sounds about right, Jason was with us as well, we met Rick had a good time and the seed was planted!

"I met Bonebag at rally #1, and we have gotten along famously since."

Ha it helped you had a big ass tarp to go along with your bubbly personality :lol3:drink

Oh the memories....
    Blue Mule, Baldy, OU812 and 1 other person like this.
  13. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    And the cooking and serving gear! Remember the campground want to "rent" him a serving spoon?
  14. Rapid_Roy

Oddometer:
    That first one was awesome. I met some really cool people, and helped a busty groupie for the Dirty Barbies not burn down her tent with a Coleman device.
    :lol3
  15. DruiD

DruiD riding too fast

Oddometer:
    Klay and Blue Mule like this.
  16. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, worked out so well it made a great show for the rest of us at the raffle:

[​IMG]

Speaking of adorable and having to rush me back to camp Friday night by 6:00, it was because I met this waterski club and they wanted me to come take photos of their show Friday at 7:00. I couldn't resist because I thought it was such a cool thing to do and they were all so Wisconsin friendly:

[​IMG]

More about them:

https://www.cake.co/conversations/9...a-second-chance-to-photograph-action-in-tough
    Bultaco206, OU812, Klay and 7 others like this.
  17. motometal

motometal i like motorcycles

Oddometer:
    I rode with a guy named John? Who had a new KTM500. I failed to connect with him before departing. Not sure if he posts but, can anyone connect me with him?
  18. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, before this thread gets purged here are some more pics. ADV loves pics right!
    I knew I had pics of the first Central Rally and when I found this post by Rapid_Roy I knew it was true, so I kept looking.
    Heidi and Tom (Cavegirl & cavebiker) at the first central Rally
    [​IMG]

I'll never forget this moment when freeflow said "I have to touch it" meaning the CaveBike. Heidi and I just returned from a year+ ride to Panama and back on this bike and posted it here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got the best door prizes. Thay will always hang in our boathouse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First time meeting rokklym. I think you have a bigger camera now ;)
    [​IMG]

rokklym's pic, thanks man!
    [​IMG]
    What a blast! bonebag put on a fantastic first rally which obviously got bigger and better every year. Thanks a ton banebag and everyone else who had made this the event not to miss. Cavegirl and I will see ya all next year for sure.
  19. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I took off today to ride but it's storming out, so time to do a little 'Central Rally Ride Report'... For the fun factor of course
    Here We Go! :rilla
    I have been working feverishly to get the new Baja race bike street legal and road worthy so I can ride it to the rally. A high power stator, battery, rectifier and regulator, GPS and iPhone power outlets, strong headlight and lastly the day before I depart, two new enduro tires.
    [​IMG]

Last, I do a check of one man tent I inherited from my father. He was an Appalachian Trail hiker and always talked about ways to lower his backpack weight. I'll never forget him talking about cutting his toothbrush in half to lower the weight. This is the first time using this tent and I'm only doing it because of the limited packing space on the XR400, everything is going on my back so a 3.2 lb tent makes sense this time.
    [​IMG]

I am ready to Do It! I downloaded rally GPS tracks and saw on my computer that his tracks merge up with my all time favorite and killer trails. I have heard a lot of good things about Cannonshot and now I know more than ever I have to get with-it and check out more of his tracks. So the plan is to ride from Hayward to Bayfield all off-road on the tracks then continue to the rally on more tracks.

A few picks of the ride. There are no pics of the extreme knurly sections because of course I wasn't about to stop to take a pic when it got BAD (meaning good of course), I was just glad to make it through those sections without crashing or stalling out. Yeah, the sand gets so deep you need to keep momentum at times. I questioned my decision to mount enduro tires instead of knobbies.
    [​IMG]
    Getting gas in Cable. The tracks follow ATV trails. The popularity of ATVs in my area has grown unreal.

[​IMG]

The first ATV on the trail stopped to talk and told me there are about thirty machines behind him. I said "Good time for a break" ATV riders are usually cool holding up fingers to show how many ATVs are behind them. For quite a while they all flashed 5 fingers up and down until the last one who just showed a fist meaning he is the last one. How cool! I blast off...
    [​IMG]

After Heidi and I spread our dog's ashes from our pontoon last week we were out in the middle of the lake. Suddenly a humming bird came in and hovered underneath our pontoon canopy, then took off. I immediately said "Thats Sam! He came back as a Hummingbird! Hummingbirds travel south to Mexico for the winter and that's what Sam likes to do" On this trail below in the middle of nowhere while resting a Hummingbird flew up to me and hovered for a while. Sam always wanted to go with me know matter where I was going or what I was doing. :)
    [​IMG]

When I discovered motorcycles are legal on the ATV trails in the Chequamegon - Nicolet forest that changed my life. These trials are killer challenging and Cannonshot's tracks shows you the way to them. Last year i would study maps, make cheat sheets and blast off for the day trying to find them. I found a ton of trails but never found how to get all the way to Bayfield. Cannonshot shows two ways to Bayfield through the Chequamegon - Nicolet forest. Fantastic! the other route I have never even been on. The future is looking exciting...

[​IMG]

I thought to myself "Is this our ADV Baldy?" (but he's not old ;)
    [​IMG]

Yeah Baldy this motorcycle adventuring and photography is an addiction, and I blame you. Thanks man I like it!
    [​IMG]

This Lenewee trail looks mild here but if you attempt to follow it all the way to Bayfield you are guaranteed to a challenge of the highest degree.
    [​IMG]

The trail passes through beautiful areas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I am so glad for Cannonshot's tracks. When I was out exploring these trails solo and saw a trail sign without a motorcycle symbol I assumed I was now illegal, but now I know I have full rights here. The value of that is unmeasurable.

I followed the ADV law "after a crash first take a pic before picking up" I took this one before I even stood up.
    [​IMG]
    These trials are similar to Baja in that the super deep sand can last hours. No time to relax, 100% time to enjoy.

Time to regroup, smell the flowers and continue kicking butt...
    [​IMG]

I started before 8 AM and thought I would make the rally by mid afternoon but Cannonshots tracks are so challenging I didn't make it into the rally until after 7 PM. Thanks to the people who brought back out the buns and barbeque for me after my late arrival, what a warm reception feeling was that. Thank you thank you! bonebag encouraged me to try the coleslaw, it was fantastic. He says to me "Ha!, last time you were here on a Harley! Now your here on an XR400!" That made me feel special that he remembered me from eleven years ago. Thanks man, you are a true cool dude.
    [​IMG]

Great meeting old friends and new.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The rally trails are all in my neighborhood, I'll be exploring then for decades...;)thanks a ton man and everyone in the rally for the spark and inspiration, how sweet that was.

[​IMG]
    Ride back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bolt holding the gas tank came loose. Glad I carried tools.

Back to Hayward, what a blast.
    [​IMG]
    One of the best things about attending ADV rallies are the people you meet. The high energy, the excitement in their spirit, the endless hi octane stories gives me an adrenaline blast that lasts years after. Even though I showed up late and only had one night I still enjoyed all these benefits. i said this to Heidi as soon as I got home and she knew exactly what I was talking about. We immediately canceled out plans for next year and made new plans to do the Central Rally again!

[​IMG]
    See ya all next year!
    Blue Mule, Baldy, bomber60015 and 7 others like this.
  20. Rapid_Roy

Oddometer:
    I ordered a blow up of the group photo, it's awesome. 20180831_131842.jpg
    Blue Mule, Baldy, vwboomer and 8 others like this.