12,000 Mile service

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by johnparjr, Jul 1, 2011.

1. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    Sweet mother of God. I paid 850 bucks for mine. That's what you get when there is only 1 dealer within a 400km radius. My first 800gs, I took it down to Seattle but with the dollar so crappy, it still didn't make sense.
  2. SubAtomicGenius

SubAtomicGenius Moto Villian

Oddometer:
    How in the hell do you "save more time" by DIY?

3. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can save time or at least break even on time over taking it to the dealer, waiting around or returning a few days later to pick it up. Unless the dealer is within walking distance, I suppose. By servicing my own stuff, over many years and many vehicles/watercraft/aircraft I have saved almost enough to pay for a vacation house!

I realize this isn't for everyone, you'll need a little aptitude and a bit of interest to keep it from being too much of a chore
  4. SubAtomicGenius

Oddometer:
    You might save money, but nobody saves time DIY. Most DIYers do it for saving money and the enjoyment of it, but it certainly does not save any time.

5. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I do my own maint I save a bunch of time not having to go to the dealer and waiting around for them to work on it.
    Folly1, JeepDawg and shuswap1 like this.
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure you can speak for those of us that do, but suit yourself and enjoy your time with the dealer!!:)
  7. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    $150 in parts, $50 in tools and $700 to educate yourself how to do it yourself.

idle time waiting for someone else to to the job is a waste, time spent working on the bike yourself is engaged time and will never be a waste.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  8. SubAtomicGenius

Oddometer:
    I dont go to the dealer, buddy, I never have. That said, I have plenty of experience to know that nobody SAVES TIME doing their own work on anything like you said. I enjoy working on my machines, and that saves money, too - but in reality, everyone SAVES TIME (not money) by paying someone else to do it. That's the trade off.

PS: just waiting around for the dealer to do any work doesn't save any time, either.

9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Like so many threads this one's turned into a pissing match.
    XTremeRide likes this.
  10. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea , what's with people , jacking threads and insisting their opinions are law .
  11. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did this one go south? I have to do this, and have weighed both options, reputable dealer quoted $850, I have skills, I have friends with more skills! Will figure this one out and have fun doing it, will not be quick, and will not save time, but, wrenching on your own is mostly fun! Now settle down guys, there is no right answer to this one, depends upon income level and skills and whatever combination of such things you posess.
  12. Dexxxedout

Dexxxedout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Being a new member here I am honestly starting to lose respect for this forum. Seems if people are totally incapable of letting their small amount of ego and pride go. Also it is a total and utter shame of what type of image you guys portray of us. I would never ride with majority of you! The question was not about oh can I do this myself or how much does it cost if I want to do it myself. I am totally capable of performing the service myself. After years of saving money and NOT time of doing majority of my own work I prefer to pay someone. Just my PERSONAL preference. Again if you want to talk about how much money you can save start a new conversation.

So again I was curious what are guys normally paying for this service at their local shop. I just have a sneaky idea my local dealer has been handing it to me for a while.
  13. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, big swings on the 12K service cost. I just changed my oil, filter & air filter so I can knock those costs off. Since I have Altrider lower crash bar supports I'm sure I can count on some upcharge. It sounds like I'm better off buying a GS911 for ~$300 and digging in myself.
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hang in there. This forum is just like all the rest...people who can' talk eye to eye get lots of bravado and egos behind the keyboard. I've been guilty of arguing in the past but now just try to stay out of the way. There's tons of good info here....and folks. Just got to be able to use the "ignore" feature and all is well.

With the complexity of many of the new bikes, maintenance can surely be an issue. Luckily oil/fluid/brake pads/valve checks (mostly), and adjustments continue to be fairly easy. When I need to do some servicing to my bikes I always defer to searching the forum for how to's. Granted some folks are not adept at mechanical things and should rely on a good tech to assist. The internet (Youtube) is wonderful for those of us that are comfortable turning a wrench to see and learn. I take lots of satisfaction and enjoyment out of sitting by my bikes and tinkering.
    Folly1 and Adanac rider like this.
  15. Dexxxedout

Dexxxedout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So anyways. Has anyone had luck working with other shops that are not the BMW dealer? I got a quote from a shop that looks pretty nice for 575.00
  16. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the majority would agree with me in stating that it's very unlikely the valves will be out of spec and deferring (or ignoring) this portion of the service can save a fellow a good amount of cash if it's not an opportune time to come up with it.
  17. Dexxxedout

Dexxxedout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would agree with this. Yet the valves seem to have some noise coming from them. A little louder then I would like. This bike gets rode hard! Out of curiosity has anyone ever needed to have the valves adjusted?
  18. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I paid $642 at BMW of Denver. $405 for labor, $92 for gasket set, $50 oil, $40 air filter, $17 oil filter, and some misc stuff. $660 with tax. That was 11/2015.
  19. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, first time I adjusted mine was at 46,000kms and again at 70,000kms. (Preparation for long trips).
    Even then they weren't out of spec, I just figured may as well tweak them to the loose end of the range while I've gone that far. Now at 120,000 I'll probably do it again over the winter.
  20. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    12K service at BMW of Manhattan last december (2016/12) cost me $850 w/ tax. I bought the bike with 9.5K miles on it and wanted it checked out as well.

Needless to say, I'll be doing all the work going forward.
    The Island likes this.