12,000 Mile service

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by johnparjr, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Checked mine at 14,000...all well in spec. I don't spin the thing very fast so I'll probably never check them again until 100,000 miles.
  2. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did my valves at 28,000 miles. One exhaust barely out of spec, one just barely on the inside of spec. I replaced both since I had the bike opened up.

I figure I'll check it again around 50k just for consistency. It wasn't nearly as bad as I'd thought it would have been.
  3. amartin4410

amartin4410 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to deal with this in the next month, have almost 11,000 miles on the bike now. I feel like I can tackle this myself over the winter, the bike will be down for a few months anyway. The valve's seem to be the most involved aspect of this service. I'll be checking the forum for some good threads detailing the work and I'm going to be giving it a shot myself. Oil, oil filter, air filter, brakes pads (front; already did the rears), bearing check and replacement (steering head bearings, wheel bearings) should all be pretty simple.
  4. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Post up when you figure out where to get a deal on the parts!
  5. 70East

70East Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This forum isn’t bad. A lot of good info gets posted, most of it has already been posted. Just have to weed through the BS.
  6. amartin4410

Oddometer:
    The parts you can buy right from AS Cycles online, they sell a kit for the 12k service. I'm going to be adding some Galfer pads for the front as well as new wheel bearings. Those I'll probably pick up from the dealership unless I find a better option out there (haven't checked yet). Aside from the wheel bearings and front pads, everything else that is needed should be included in the 12k service kit.

https://www.ascycles.com/BMW-F800GS-Maintenance-Parts-Accessories/ProductID/46274
    chudzikb likes this.
  7. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    Thank you, kind sir!
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Maker of my truck recommends I change the plugs every 100,000 miles....it has a 4 stroke liquid cooled fuel injected motor. Can someone explain to me the reason BMW says to change the plugs every 12,000 miles in their 4 stroke liquid cooled fuel injected motors. Thanks in advance.
  9. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    I was wondering that myself, I figure it is such a pain in the ass to get there, that you just do it when you are "in there". $15 for a plug? Must be cheaper alternatives? Will check the non factory sites for them. I have all the maintenance stuff, except the plugs. Need the gaskets and plugs. And the bent feeler gauges as well. Have regular ones, that I would prefer not to bend. My motorcycle nut neighbor may have what I need, have to ask.
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I get my plugs from O'Reilly auto parts...about $9 each. Oil is Rotella T-6...$21 a gallon from Walmart...crush washer is about 50 cents...I change my brake fluid maybe every three years...coolant every 4 or 5. I firmly believe service intervals are not rational and may be artificially short to allow the dealers to make more money....
  11. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i picked up denso ixu24 iridium plugs from amazon for 7 bucks a piece and a gasket kit from maxbmw. you'll need rtv too, permatex 82180 and some anti-seize for the plugs too since they'll be there for a while now. the densos and permatex 82180 i think were both recommended by indy unlimited in another thread.
  12. Dexxxedout

Dexxxedout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From what I can tell a lot of the maintenance that BMW recommends is preventive maintenance intervals as well as for legal purposes. The brake fluid is a prime example. I know that it does not need to be changed every single year. Yet in the small chance that they say every three years and the fluid brakes down and causes a failure who is at fault? Also like the valves at some point during testing a valve was capable of coming out of spec in that time and dropping into the engine. Spark plugs are the same. Better to change it while you are there to prevent a problem.

Speaking of valves mine do seem to be a little loud has anyone else noticed this?
  13. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, I can't hear it from over here.

:lol3
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  14. dpike

Oddometer:
    Tewster2 likes this.
  15. amartin4410

Oddometer:
    I haven't priced the parts out individually at a local dealer or online anywhere. Of course you can shop around and probably save a few bucks. I'll probably just order the kit once its time to do so. I'm also planning on changing the coolant for my bike as well.
  16. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
  17. dpike

Oddometer:
    moto-bins and deamontweeks for parts too. even with shipping from the UK they're cheaper than stateside.

..and don't wait too long on the brake fluid, its so much easier to do before it turns to babyshit
    [​IMG]
  18. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, Valves. Going to wait till 50000 Klms. Or, till I hear something. Brake fluid, I switch every other year.....
    I do the oil twice a season. About midway, and before it goes to bed. I ride about 10K a year more or less.
    It gets to the stealer once a year. Usually pretty cheap. It’s getting a new front tire in the spring, I’ll have them “kick the tires” at the same visit.
  19. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Listening to the valves is not a good indicator as the clearance can either increase or decrease depending on whether the greater wear is at the valve face or the cam face. That being said the valve clearance changes very little.
  20. beefcake morris

beefcake morris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taking my in to the BWM Shop for the 12,000 mile service on Friday. Quoted my $629 for my 800 GSA.