12,000 service and chain recall - bike riding noticeably different

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by TastyPants, Sep 14, 2010.

1. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dealer list is $22.38 in the USA, though some vary a bit.

I am asuming the $70 includes some labor charge.

I agree if just the tabs are broken, it's no biggie, but usually the damper rubber is pretty beat up in other ways when it is replaced.

The link above would charge $12.95 for shipping in the USA.

Spending $10 more for a place that doesent employ people like me doesent seem worth it :)
  2. ShadySmurf

ShadySmurf Does Own Stunts

Oddometer:
    To each his own, as much as I like my dealer, I'm not really into paying the 40 dollar difference for someone to remove the axle nut to replace that piece. Just putting out some options. Plus, if your in a situation like me and the dealer is a couple hours away, it makes even more sense.
  3. FatTirePlease

FatTirePlease Still rollin'

Oddometer:
    Mightn be missin sumthin here, don't even know what kinda bike you guys are refering to, but if they were doing a sprocket recall, seems a little dishonest to charge any labor whilst you alraedy have the wheel and rear hub apart. :deal Just my $.02.
  4. ShadySmurf

Oddometer:
    Good point. Once the sprocket is off, the 'judders' just fall out, should really take no more than 20 seconds to replace at that point, so any labor charge considering all that was apart for the recall, is crap imo.
  5. GSranger

GSranger blacksheep

Oddometer:
    Is this what we're talking about.

[​IMG]

This is after only 3k miles and found while changing tires...WTF!!! Hopefully the dealer will change it under warranty when I get my chain recall taken care of.
  6. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does not hurt anything for the tab that holds the two hunks of rubber together to be broken.

The tab just holds the judder rubbers in place for initial assembly.

You can use a piece of electric tape to hold it together, or your finger.
  7. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think - if memory serves me correctly (seeing as how my rear wheel has been off no fewer than 5 times) on the 2010's that short tab that holds the short and long pieces together span the entire width if the "jutter". Seems like that issue was addressed in later models.

I agree with Joel though - shouldn't be an issue as long as the sprocket carrier fits in the correct slots and the heavy parts of the "jutter" aren't damaged or crushed.

My $0.02.
  8. GSranger

GSranger blacksheep

Oddometer:
    Yes Master :bow

It's cool... I just stuffed it all back in there :thumb

It probably broke from all those wheelies :ricky
  9. TastyPants

TastyPants Harasshole

Oddometer:
    Just an update. The chain was in fact within spec, but just the top end. It was at 45mm. I tightened it down to 40mm and it feels a better on the street... or I am just getting used to the way it is riding. I had mentioned I had been doing more off road so I'm guessing they left it loose this time.

I will keep checking it as the new stretches out.

They definitely had it way too tight at the 6000 mile which as noted probably caused the problem with the damper...and why I was noticing such a difference in slack and perhaps the way it rides. I just assumed it was right and never really measured more than eyeball as the slack never changed...

I will be bringing back in soon for the tank cracking issue as the tech called and let me know the repair was approved. I will mention all this then.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.
  10. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    That's $20 EACH right? so it would total out to $80 at sticker price for the set of four?
    If so, sounds like the dealer gave him a bit of a break on the price and also installed at no charge?

The fiche that Max BMW posts says that the part number has changed recently so that might explain the difference in the width of the web that holds the two pieces together ...

PS: and THANKS as always for your input here Joel!
  11. ShadySmurf

Oddometer:
    Sure, if it was 70 for all four obviously thats a great deal, beats everyone's prices. Hopefully that was the case.