12 Days of Riding the BDR Fundraiser and the Southern CABDR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by surferbum, Apr 12, 2019.

1. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    This report is more like a diary for me to enjoy in the future. I’m using the same format as my NMBDR trip and WY ride. I hope you find it entertaining and informative.
    typeamark likes this.
  2. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Who Went

Our Southern CABDR ride had a riding preamble for a couple of days (the BDR Fundraiser at the Palm Canyon Resort - a few miles west of the Salton Sea). FYI quoting SD State "The Salton Sea is California's largest lake. At a surface elevation of 227 feet below sea level, it has a surface area of 243,718 acreas (381 square miles). The maximum depth of the Sea is about 51 feet and the average depth 31 feet." My wife came for a day as I trailer hitched (VersaHaul) from Scottsdale to Borrego Springs.

79B9F90F-1308-431F-A907-090686ABAEBF.jpeg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg
    Dave and Tim at BDR Fundraiser

IMG_4826.jpg
    Johnny, Tim and me on the CABDR ride.

Three of us started the BDR ride but only two finished.
    mb300, typeamark and black 8 like this.
  3. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    In... :lurk

nice photo at Font's Point...
    surferbum likes this.
  4. surferbum

Oddometer:
    All enjoy taking pics so there are many included in this ride report as well as a Google Photos album for the trip. This ride will be/has been ridden by many inmates so likely there will be thousands of pics in the future. Tim, Johnny and I like to take with our iPhone (7, X & XS Max respectively)’s plus my Canon PowerShot ELPH 350HS P&S. We had a great riding style which allowed everyone to have fun. Tim, Johnny and I rode different bikes (2018 KTM 1190, 2018 BMW 1200GS Rallye, and me on a 2014 KTM 690 Enduro R). Johnny can really ride the Rallye ️. Johnny's diligence has almost trained me to use my turn signal blinkers but I still have forgetful moments.

F3199254-D2E7-4042-B4EA-636A182D6447.jpeg

We traveled with various communication devices. I used a DeLorme InReach SE and it continues to work great. Tim had a couple of Spots and a sat phone. Johnny had a SPOTX 2-way satellite messaging. We spent 3 nights at the resort for the BDR Fundraiser; Camped off the bike for 4 of 5 nights and spent one night in a motel at the mid-point of the trip at the Delights Hot Springs. We camped in CA State park, off-the-road, a private campground and a National Park campground. Some had water, picnic table, fire pits and toilets but some didn’t. We typically ate at least one meal in a restaurant every day but carried cooking gear/meals too.
    mb300, typeamark and RonSJC like this.
  5. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Time-frame and Route

The idea was to start the CABDR trip after a couple of days riding in the OHV area of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and rocky climbs up to the Palomar Observatory. Scat the 150 miles to Yuma (start of Southern CABDR) and start the route. After the end of CABDR, it took me 1 ½ days of riding back to Scottsdale via my daughter’s place in Kingman (see two of my grandkids plus daylight was fading). Overall the ride back was nearly 600 miles.

Tracks for the BDR Fundraiser rides were emailed to me. The Southern CABDR tracks were downloaded from BDR website. We also carried a great paper map from Butler Maps.

Here’s a pic of the setup.
    IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg
    Tim and Johnny used Mosko bags. The trip started on Thursday and ended 12 days later on Monday. Being a BDR, much of the planning was done and all I had to do was guess where we would be and confirm reservations/remote businesses being open. It was fun planning and putting it all together. I used Garmin BaseCamp to put my tracks together. We chose the dates (March 28 – April 8) primarily due to the timing of the BDR Fundraiser plus attempt to avoid hot times in Death Valley and Mohave desert. There was no rain for the trip with the temps being cool at night and moderate during the days but it was a little windy sometimes.

Here's the itinerary:

IMG_3675.jpg
    There were some minor adjustments which I’ll detail later in trip report.

My gear is pretty much unchanged from last year’s 1800 miles Wyoming trip. or my NMBDR.

My sleeping gear is a 1-person 3-season tent (Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 1), inflatable mattress (Exped SynMat 7 Air Pad with Pump & Schnozzel Pumpbag), sleeping bag (Kelty Coromell 25 Degree Long), Coghlan's Tent Peg Mallet and pillow (Trekolog ALUFT Comfort Ultralight). I pack everything in a 35L Sea to Summit dry bag.

Riding gear is sunglasses, Klim Adventure Rally 2 Jacket (1.5L water bladder)/pants, gloves, Alpinestars Tech 1 Boots and Shoei Hornet X2 Helmet with Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth Headset.

Camping gear is Jet Boil, 3 1-liter stainless steel water bottles, 7” folding camping saw, collapsible glass/bowl/spork, lighter/matches, survival blanket, TP and wipes, nylon rope, insect repellent wipes, Tylenol/Advil, sunscreen, lip balm, external power bank battery, various flashlight & lantern, misc. charging cables, spare reading glasses, misc. toiletries, misc. Band-Aids/tape, protein bars, beef jerky, gum, various Mountain House meals, flask of favorite libation (currently)

williams honey.jpg
    coffee and hard candy. Camping shoes (check out the Feetcity Mens Water Shoes) which pack flat, spare socks, shirt/shorts, sweat pants/long sleeve shirt, water-proof jacket and hat.

Bike gear includes Garmin Oregon 600, 1 gallon Rotopax gas container, shaker siphon, misc. tools, spare 21” tube, compressor, Al wire, 6 22” Spare Cuff Disposable Restraints, tire repair kit and gauge, spare oil, Blue Magic QuikSteel, JB Weld, spare ROK straps, SAE/alligator jumper cable, 15' nylon tow strap, Enduro Star Trail stand and Adventure-Spec Magadan Panniers MK2. Here’s a link to my bike setup.

Day logs will follow as comments while I get the time.
    NSFW and mb300 like this.
  6. surferbum

Oddometer:
    First Day of Riding BDR Fundraiser Friday (March 29)

4:04 hours 79.4 miles

BDR Fundraiser day 1 route.PNG

BDR Fundraiser day 1 altitude.JPG

We stayed at the Palm Canyon Resort (hotel room – no camping yet although I can almost spit more water than the shower emitted) and had all our meals there except lunches (which we made/took with us). The place had a great bartender, Nicole, who somehow landed there from Florida. The routes were principally developed by this guy. Thank-you!!

A shoutout to Juddy Arnold.

BDR Fundraiser route planner.jpg

Ron W. is A+.

BDR Fundraiser Ron CABDR planner.JPG

And none of this would have likely happened (Fundraiser or the CABDR) without Inna.

BDR Fundraiser Inna Thorn.jpg

We did a concatenation of several of his eastern tracks in Anza-Borrego Desert State Wilderness and Ocotillo Wells State OHV area. It included Font’s Point, Blowsand Hill and Devil’s Slide. As always a couple of U-turns along the way but got plenty of sand. The bikes weren’t loaded with the camping gear+ which we had for the CABDR so the 690 was a pleasure to drive especially is the sand. We chose these tracks to do on Friday because LA and San Diego descents on this area with bikes, side-by-sides and jeeps. An inmate could meet his maker. ☠️ The tracks included the Font’s Point (7I), Palo Verde (10I) and Pumpkin & Palms (12I) plus a couple of dead-end sand excursions.

BDR Fundraiser route eastern map.JPG

BDR Fundraiser Guide to GPX.JPG

BDR Fundraiser eastern loop 1.JPG

BDR Fundraiser eastern loop 2.JPG

Here’s a pic of Font’s Point and some others pics along the ride. Like it always seems to be that the only time you fall is when you’re making a U-turn.

Sorry reached the limit for pics per post. Pics are next post. BTW lookup the Salton Sea history if you're interested.
  7. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Here's some pics from Friday's riding:

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_9301.jpg
    NSFW and mb300 like this.
  8. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Second Day of Riding BDR Fundraiser Saturday (March 30)

4:28 hours 135.8 miles

bdr fundraiser day 2 route.JPG

bdr fundraiser day 2 altitude.JPG
    The day started off with a great breakfast and the ride idea was to take the backside way up to the Palomar Observatory. Ron W. had arranged for special access to this route through the powers-to-be which culminated with a private tour of the Observatory by Steve from Caltech. The route went through the Cleveland National Forest, Aqua Tibia Wilderness and private lands. The ride up to the observatory started off-road on Lost Creek Rd off of CA 77, then onto Puerta La Cruz Rd, Chihuahua Valley Rd, CA 79, High Pt. Rd/Truck Trail and finally on Palomar Divide Rd. Thanks Ron for the special keyed gate access. The ride had off-camber rocky climbs, a little water to cross plus some steep accents and descents ultimately reaching the observatory at 6,138’. The mountain ranges, San Jacinto and Santa Rosa, to the north had great snow tops. If you haven’t taken the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway up to San Jacinto Peak then get to it. Had our bag lunch in their picnic area. Great weather

Caltech Steve gave a great private tour of the three main levels of the iconic Hale telescope (200”). Read this space.com article about it. Dave and Tim keep on self-exploring causing guide a few nervous moments. Since I’m a science geek, here are some Palomar Observatory tidbits:
    • Astronomer George Hale built it and it’s was the world’s largest for 40 years until Keck on Mauna Kea.
    • It was funded by a grant of $6 million by the Rockefeller Foundation in 1928.
    • It went online in 1948
    • The Pyrex mirror weighs 14.5 tons
    • The telescope weighs 530 tons (over 1,000,000 lbs.) and is built so well it used for 65 years, a 1/12 HP tracking motor for movement
    • Rotating part of the dome weights 1,000 tons (2,000,000 lbs.)
    • My daughter’s father-in-law, Caltech grad, worked in it in the mid-1970’s prior to NASA

Some pics from our tour.

IMG_3437.jpg
    Iconic look. (not me )

IMG_3447.jpg
    Inside with Caltech Steve

IMG_3442.jpg
    On the top outside the dome. Say hello Tim.

We returned to the resort via pavement but at Dave’s insistence, stopped at Mom’s Restaurant for some pie à la Mode.

IMG_9382.jpg

Had a great dinner with wine from this Mt. Beautiful Winery (a New Zealand motorcycle connection).

BDR Fundraiser Mt Beautiful.jpg
    mb300 and RonSJC like this.
  9. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Last Day of BDR Fundraiser and Day 0 of CABDR (March 31)

3:54 hours 170 miles

BDR day 0 route.JPG

BDR day 0 altitude.JPG
    Oops was a little late in turning on the tracking so the first 37 miles are missing.

The plan is to leave the Palm Canyon Resort and head to Yuma, AZ then eat and make it to the Picacho State Rec area next to the Colorado River for the night. Tim recognizes that his gear, selected over a month earlier, is too much and he boxes for sending back to the home base. Now let’s hit the road.

BDR Fundraiser Matt.jpg
    Waiting while Tim thins his clothes.

We took the paved roads to Yuma which made for a boring ride except for the very windy conditions on I8 which kept your attention. Grabbed a bite to eat in Yuma and headed north to the Picacho State Rec campground. It is about a 30 miles ride on excessively graveled, washboard road but all of a sudden Tims’s bike’s front tire pressure drops. WTF? Seems like the day before, he hit an embedded rock hard on one of the accent/descents going to Palomar Observatory and the rim is bent. It must have been leaking since then with a leaky bead. We’ll blame the washboard road. He beat on the bent rim then a pickup comes by and Tim borrows a 4-way lug wrench tool (no hammer available) to beat on it some more. Finally the bead seats in the rim and inflation success.

Growing stuff in the desert always seems outrageous but what a fine looking crop of some vegetable.

whats growing here.JPG
    We get to Picacho and tour the camp ️sites. It’s mostly vacant but there’s a nice shaded one so we unpack. Happens that we’re next to a few friendly folks from San Diego who give us some firewood from a secret stash. Nice fire and great location with picnic tables, water, toilets and great views. First night of camping for the rest of the trip. Ready to tackle the CABDR tomorrow.

IMG_3451.jpg
    A view from a bluff next to our campsite. Sunset is gorgeous and there's virtually no one here.
    Here's a pano shot and that's the Colorado River.

pano picacho.jpg
    I thought that I forget my tent stake mallet but found it with my tent. Pitched our tents then Tim beat on his front rim some more with it for good measure. Tim's compressor decided to die but mine came to the rescue.

IMG_3461.jpg
    First campsite for the trip.
    black 8 likes this.
  10. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you guys were able to make the Telescope tour and enjoyed it!

Ron
  11. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, that Pano shot is amazing!
  12. surferbum

Oddometer:
    First Day of CABDR (April 1) April Fool's Day

4:42 hours 126.1 miles
    IMG_3462.png

CABDR day 1 altitude.JPG
    The day didn’t start off good. Tim’s tire was flat so more beating with the mallet and pummeled it into submission. We break camp and are off but later then we wanted (~ 10:30AM). Johnny was going to meet us here and spend the night but a glitch with his car/trailer meant that he would meet us on the route with him going south and us north. Moral of the story is to have both car and trailer in your name if you want to temporarily store it in California.

Soon after you leave Picacho campground you hit the first CABDR section of deep sand for 10ish miles on Indian Pass Rd. Knew the warmup at the OHV sand of the BDR Fundraiser would help but with another 50+ pounds of stuff … well. The sand was really fine gravel 8”+ deep. Tim’s bike hit a buried rock and the bike fell on his right ankle. Bad news because he’s tough as nails (and an ex-moto racer in his prime) and he can barely walk. We are still on this gnarly deep gravel section. Somehow he makes it to the route’s pavement section. We can see the Glamis Sand Dunes nearby but no appetite for that now.

30949888_Unknown.jpg
    Onward we go and here comes Johnny from the opposite direction. Intros: Johnny-Tim, Tim-Johnny. Immediately we exit the pavement and are on another very sandy section appropriately called Milpitas Wash. Tim is hardly able to stand on the pegs but sitting down in sand is a recipe for disaster.

just past Coon Hollow.jpg

day 1 two track.jpg
    Don't run out of water here. Went down the Bradshaw Trail Rd on our way to Blythe for gas and a great random lunch at Albertaco’s Mexican Food. No need to eat tonight, well maybe a Powerbar.

IMG_9439.jpg
    Bradshaw Tr.jpg
    Leaving town you jump off the pavement and travel along a 10 mile of progressively gnarlier two-track past the Blythe Intaglios. After making a couple of wrong turns and almost heading out to the devil’s playground we U-turned and found the trail again. Practice your long vertical, rocky descent kids because both tires are sliding and it’s a roller coaster ride baby. Everyone is still in one piece except Tim who really only has one ankle. We camped in a private campground on the Colorado River called Twin Palms but the store was closed and after asking a local we pitched our campsite. The place had showers too.

IMG_3467.jpg
    The locals, Patty and Richard, invited us for beers (it would be impolite to refuse) and we had a great chat. Some of their neighbors arrived and had another beer. Dave was mid-80’s and still regularly hiked in the desert plus running is ½ marathons until 3 years ago. Richard was a world traveler and involved in high-tech manufacturing. Motorcycle travel seems to lead to meeting these people. Nice.

Johnny did some campground repair on his bike. One side's bolts for holding the front fender went missing during the day and it was flopping about. He scavenged some from other parts of his bike (zip tying those places). It also involved removing his front wheel. He missed the beers.

And a great end to the day. They even gave Tim ice for his ankle .
    sunset day 1.jpg

Sunrise the next day @ 6:30 AM
    black 8 and powderzone like this.
  13. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Second Day of Southern CABDR (Tuesday, April 2)

5:12 hours 148 miles
    CABDR day 2 route.JPG
    CABDR day 2 altitude.JPG
    Woke up early ready for a full riding day with Tim’s night-long, iced-ankle ready. Headed over to the nearby Aha Quin General store/restaurant for breakfast but no one was there plus gas pumps were locked. It looks like officially “low season” now. First part is a 20 mile, light-sandy, 2-track between the Rice Valley Wilderness (42,000 acres) and the Riverside Mountains Wilderness (24,000 acres).

Outdoor Ethics Here’s a website link with plenty of very good information.

1 Plan Ahead and Prepare
    2 Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
    3 Dispose of Waste Properly
    4 Leave What You Find
    5 Minimize Campfire Impacts
    6 Respect Wildlife
    7 Be Considerate of Other Visitors

We came across the frame for an abandoned old truck. I guess they didn’t have amble supplies. The road has enough washouts, etc. that it’s uncertain how it made it this far. Tim being a car guy and Johnny being curious searched the frame for some ID number No luck.

IMG_9422.jpg
    This is a lonely, quiet, desolate place.

desolate.JPG
    Another sight is the Shoe Tree gas station and fence around the abandoned town of Rice, CA. Here’s an interesting link with more details.

IMG_4802.jpg
    Then you hit the Mother Road.

IMG_4819.jpg
    Unfortunately the roads (Cadiz and Skelton Pass Rd) got nastier with more sand. Tim went down this time on his left ankle. Now both ankles are injured. He is hurting and feeling that he’s being a drag so he calls it quits at Hi Sahara Oasis. Seems like always the case when you have one problem then you likely to injure something else.
    Hi Sahara Oasis is (on a customer service scale of 1-10 with a 10 being the Four Seasons Hotel) a ZERO. They even have a sign telling people to shut up because they know they suck. Just google it.

adios amigo.jpg
    The rocky climb out of Goffs on Lanfair Rd past the California Mine will take some inmates to their knees. A long, technical climb with fist-sized to basketball-sized rocks strewn the entire width. Did I mention the cambered rock ledges? We came across some inmates on the ride who got their shiny bikes crunched. We camped a couple miles off of New York Mine Rd. on Caruthers Canyon Rd. Great campsites but the most prized site (where an old miner had built an outdoor fireplace and table out of stone) was unfortunately occupied. We got a great site nonetheless.

campsite day 2.JPG
    That night the wind howwwllllleeedd for more than 3 hours. Literally it sounded like a jet flew over your tent every 5 minutes. I was glad my great tent was staked firmly down. I tried to record it but didn't have a good app on my iPhone at the time.

We came across one of nature’s stranger rock formations. Johnny and I couldn’t quite put our finger on what it resembled. Talking to my son-in-law after the trip, it turns out his dad has a place nearby and that he with his brother have hiked around this rock formation. Small world.

desert art.jpg

surround mountain.JPG
    The surrounding hills looking awesome.
    NSFW, mb300, black 8 and 1 other person like this.
  14. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Third Day of Southern CABDR (Wednesday, April 3)

8:47 hours 153 miles

bdr day 3 route.JPG

bdr day 3 altitude.JPG After the windy night’s sleep we hit the road 8ish. We are anticipating some challenging riding plus the Sirens song of the hot springs for the evening. Nearly immediately we arrive at Government’s Holes which was once an important source of water on the old Mohave Road. There’s not much left of an important place from the mid-1860 until the 1900’s. Johnny likes windmills.

windmill.jpg Many times during the ride you realize the desert encroaches on the 2-track and you need to watch so that a cactus doesn’t take you out. Another worthy adversary is the odd looking Joshua Trees.

Joshua Trees.jpg You slowly approach an awesome WW1 Memorial Cross atop a rock outcropping which was erected in 1934. See this link for more information.

ww 1 memorial.jpg You go by several mines on this track including the Death Valley Mine, Cooper King Mine and Evening Star Mine each of which has an interesting history from the early 1900’s. BTW the Death Valley Mine is 70 miles south of Death Valley. Go figure. Here’s a quote I read by Harry Essex which sums it up pretty well “It’s alive and waiting for you. Ready to kill you if you go too far. The sun will get you, or the cold at night. A thousand ways the desert can kill” Don’t blink when you go through Cima.

You approach Primm and see the large solar complex of the 377MW Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System. It works by 352,000 mirrors which heat up water to run turbines. I thought it was a solar panel farm initially. It’s all a long way from the windmill powered Government Holes.

30950288_Unknown.jpg Gassed up and ate up at Primm then there’s the “Difficult Steep, Rock Climb” and the descent into the Colosseum Mine whose origins date from the mid-1800’s. Getting to the mine via the Colosseum Road starts out seemingly docile but quickly becomes nasty. Another sphincter tightening moments for the unprepared inmates.

IMG_3480.jpg Here’s three great Lonely Highways pics one from the Powerline Road. Avoid the easy shortcut on Excelsior Mine Rd for some fun (many patches of sandy washes which keeps your attention).

lonely highway 2.jpg

lonely highway 3.jpg

longely highway 1.jpg
    NSFW, mb300, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  15. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Third Day of Southern CABDR (Wednesday, April 3) continued …

The Colosseum Mine is amazing especially without a locked gate. The down and up of the road is fun. Like horses smelling the barn at the end of the day, we’re looking forward to the Delights Hot Springs. We first must have my first ever date shake at the China Ranch Date Farm. You travel down a road which has a feeling of a mini-Grand Canyon erosion path then you go past a few houses and there it is.

date shake.JPG It tasted very good. We tried to give a BDR window sticker to the shake maker but she said that she would pass it on to manager. We got that response virtually every time. Oh well.

Now onto Tecopa which is home of the Delights Hot Springs. We check in and get our rooms. Before enjoying the hot springs we head out to nearby Shoshone for gas. Tecopa has no store and the restaurant (maybe one) isn’t open on Wednesdays. Shoshone is not much bigger but has a very nice set of businesses: gas station, good restaurant, bar, convenience store and motel. Apparently all owned by the same person and it’s been that way for a few generations. Checkout the charge for Johnny’s purchase in the store. Note the nearly $22 Billion of CA sales tax. BTW the charge was declined by the bank.

IMG_4937.jpg Now back for a hot springs soak.

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg The ambiance of the hot springs is a cross between Palm Springs and Sedona. According to the manager, the hot springs healing waters are only duplicated in Dusseldorf.

I turned on the cold water tap in my room. Nada. I went to the office and asked what the problem was? Well they don’t have cold water. Only hot water and BTW she told me to avoid drinking the hot water. No worries because we going to eat breakfast in Shoshone at 8AM and there’s plenty of cold water there.
    NSFW likes this.
  16. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Fourth Day of Southern CABDR (Thursday, April 4)

10:08 hours 197 miles

cabdr day 4 route.JPG cabdr day 4 altitude.PNG
    Don’t quite know how Butler calculates the time because I think it is the total time from turn-on to turn-off (i.e., riding pauses don’t stop the clock from ticking)

This day started off by riding over to Shoshone for a great breakfast at the Crowbar Café. We hit the road before 9AM and started one of the longer days which include most of Death Valley. You jump off CA 127 after 20ish miles and get the warning.

deep sand death valley.JPG
    There’s no continuous miles of it but when you’re in it – buckle up. You get a general feel during the ride that washes are bad and hills are good. We could see snow on the top of Mount Charleston (7500’) and remnants of the temporary 8 miles lake while riding.

A word to the wise.

30950208_Unknown.jpg
    Here’s a typical look you’ll see out your helmet.

IMG_5011.jpg
    Travelled up the Westside Road and saw a comical scene. A few off-road, tricked-up jeeps pulled over on the road airing down their tires while right in front of them, driving down the road, is a Kia rental minivan. The 40 miles of Westside Road had many miles of just-graded surface so it was like a paved road.

riding down Westside Road.JPG Had great lunch at the bar/restaurant in the Furnace Creek Ranch Golf Course and who happens to walk in and sits beside us totally by chance but Shellye P (my favorite DV Park ranger). She has been excellently communicating with me as to road and campsite closures. Big thank-you from us.

This winter has been good news for the west coast for water but Death Valley had some road issues. I’ve ridden there 5+ times as part of the nOObs rallies organized by Joel (See the link 2019 nOObs Rally). Johnny also has ridden there so being that Titus Canyon was closed was okay. The 30+ minutes delay on Scotty’s Castle Rd was a drag. Well it’s summer time and this is a familiar sight for riders. The only problem is the escort car was driving soooo slow (and it’s 90°) that my bike’s warning blinking too hot so I start clutch-in coasting down any hills. The yellow Camaro almost took me out when it attempted an unsignaled U-turn right in front of me after the driver realized a change of plans.

death valley traffic delay.JPG
    The 20+ miles of washboard road out to Ubehebe Crater, Teakettle Junction and the Racetrack is the worse I’ve ever seen. I had to reseat my bike’s head light mask back onto the 2 front fender mounting pegs but I still have the fillings in my teeth.

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg
    Johnny getting up close and personal with the Racetrack in his self-proclaimed "Space Suit". Nice new helmet too.

Mesquite Spring Campground is currently closed for road repair so we went and camped out at Homestake Dry Camp. We pulled in and a guy driving a Sportsmobile came over and told us about a great spot where only motorcycles can manage and that’s where we camped. Thanks but then he unfortunately offered us a cold beer but then said that he was drinking his last one. DON’T BE THAT GUY. He then asked whether we thought he could take his Sportsmobile down the backside of Lippincott. I said maybe – see tomorrow’s write-up. He’d crash and burn over the cliff or require Chinook helicopter rescue.

caming out day 4.JPG
    It was getting cold (altitude of nearly 4000’) and only 8PM! time for bedtime and get into the sleeping bag. During a normal 3AM pee saw the clear heavens in all its star glory. Awesome.
    NSFW, black 8 and mbanzi like this.
  17. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Fifth Day of Southern CABDR (Friday, April 5)

12:14 hours 180 miles

cabdr day 5 route.JPG

cabdr day 5 altitude.JPG
    The day started off with the usual breaking camp with a great sunrise and hitting the road 8ish. This is possibly our final day depending upon the route obstacles. Johnny is over talking to the 5 riders who arrived late in the day yesterday with 2 of them doing the CABDR allocating 1 riding day per map section. We’re likely finishing all 8 sections in 5 days. They have some stories about the rough previous sections and bike napping.

sunrise day 5.jpg
    The first thing you ride is down the backside of Lippencott Rd which has a 2000’ drop in less than 3 miles with many cliff-edge turns with the worst loose rocks I’ve seen due to the hard winter. The map’s description of “DIFFICULT steep, narrow and rocky” is accurate. Johnny was a virgin on this section and he had a great time.

down lippencott.JPG

IMG_3620.jpg
    The next 40ish miles were to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town/Mine (9000’) the backway. We took all the difficult sections because you’ll never know what you’re missing otherwise. The base of Saline Valley is around 2000’ for reference. The last 6 miles of this are big boy riding with the entire road being full of loose rocks and nasty ruts plus you’re gaining 4000’ of elevation AND you’re breathing at elevation to boot. Once again the Butler Map’s description of DIFFICULT, Steep Rocky Climb is accurate. We arrive at the mine with the caretaker appearing on his side-by-side and pitching the mine tour. He asks which direction we came from and we point to the back way. He’s impressed and asks how many times we fell. We told him ZERO (the truth) but he couldn’t imagine that. Johnny got a quick history lesson from him (population 2000 in its heyday, the 25¢ toll road, his 1860’s found quarter, ...). I tell him we need to scat and bid adieu. Eight jeeps appear from the other direction and we’re off to Lone Pine.

falling rock.jpg

Cerro Gordo sign.jpg
    Gas up at Lone Pine and have a good meal at Totem Café. They got fantastic pictures inside on the walls. You’re really close to the Mt. Whitney Portal if interested in climbing. Climbed Mount Whitney (14,505’, highest summit in contiguous US) with some friends in 2007. Shout out to Dan, Ben and George. How time flies.

Johnny and I decide that we’re going to finish this CABDR today! The section 7 part (CA7 ALT Mazourka Wyman Silver Cyn) is not ridable due to winter’s snow still deep on the road so we’ll have to do that when the Northern CABDR is published. Looking forward to that! The riding through the Alabama hills was fun with a few water crossings and fantastic mountain scenery. There’s white capped mountain peaks everywhere (to our west is the Sierra Nevada and to the east are the Inyo and White Mountains ranges).

snow capped mountains.jpg
    You drive by Manzanar National Park which was first of ten Japanese internment camps during WW2. Very sobering no matter what your thinking on the subject is.

Manzanar National Park.jpg
    After Manzanar National Park you cross US 395 and ride many sections of dirt road interspersed with intersections with 10 different choices. Sometimes you guess right – sometimes you don’t. This is pretty much filler riding now. We cross US395 again and make a command decision to jump up to Benton on pavement. A cold front has arrived; There are dark clouds ahead; It’s been a long day; We’re bored. Scoot up US395 to Bishop then on US6 to Benton, CA. The horses want to go to the barn and enjoy the hot springs again. There’s no restaurant food in Benton – bummer. Johnny and I fire up the Jetboils again. I have a delicious Mountain House Hearty Chicken Breast and Mashed Potatoes. I can’t recommend it. During this trip, I ate Mountain House twice for breakfast and I can recommend the Scrambled Eggs with Bacon. Another evening Mountain House meal for me was Lasagna with Meat Sause (a 6 on the 1-10 scale; 8 if you’re famished). The rest just had a PowerBar and/or beef jerky.

The ride up the highways to Benton was directly into a strong wind with the temperature dropping and spitting rain occasionally. Low gas light came on as we were turning off onto CA120 towards Benton Hot Springs. Thankfully there’s a 24 hour gas station in the town of Benton which I’ll drive through on my way back tomorrow. My bike has a 3.2 gallon tank and I carried a Rotopax 1 gallon tank (plus an emergency shaker syphon hose). I needed the extra gas on days 1,2 and 4 (possibly could have eked out on days 1 and 2 but the light was on for a while).

The ambience of the Benton Hot Springs can’t match Delight’s Hot Springs but at least they have cold water. We could rest that night knowing that we reached the end.
    NSFW likes this.
  18. surferbum

Oddometer:
    First and Second Days of Post Southern CABDR (Saturday & Sunday, April 6 & 7)
    7:02 hours 413 miles
    3:12 hours 189 miles

post day 1 route.JPG

post day 1 altitude.JPG

post day 2 route.JPG

post day 2 altitude.JPG
    The stay at the Benton Hot Springs included an 8AM fantastic breakfast. I had already packed most of my gear on my bike before breakfast because I don’t want to have any chance of riding at dusk. The goal today is to get to my daughter’s and sleep at their place in Kingman, AZ. See two of my grandkids and watch some NCAA men’s semifinal basketball games.

breakfast Benton Hot Springs.JPG
    The temperature outside was 38° when I hit the road. It didn’t warm up to 45° for nearly 4 hours. Brrrrrr ️. My KTM 690 Enduro R is not a highway cruiser so 413 miles of riding when it’s cold is numbing. Johnny hit the road a few minutes before me. He has a long ride too but he has a bike that is great on the highway (plus heated grips). I would stop for gas every 100ish miles and warmup inside for an additional ten minutes. The ride is scenic but not many souls until you reach Beatty. Traffic from there to Las Vegas is constant at least in the opposite direction. I made it through Las Vegas without losing a dollar and didn’t get run over by the masses on the highway. The next morning the grandkids pulled out their RZRs and we had a good time. Hit the road and made quick time AND it wasn’t 38°. As I was going south on US 93 (soon I11), I started seeing tens, hundreds of motorcycles going north. I realized that I had missed Arizona Bike Week 2019.

IMG_3619.png

30950688_Unknown.jpg
    Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did in remembering and writing it. Stay safe and happy riding. Good luck on your Southern CABDR trip.

A total of 1,791.3 miles riding over 10 days.
    lgb, mb300, typeamark and 3 others like this.
  19. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this RR, really good info on what to expect... I'm looking at doing the CABDR within a year or two...
    surferbum likes this.
  20. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    That is a great report. I missed my pie at Mom's place this winter, Julian was COLD and wet a lot.
    Still, I had fun in Borrego for 2 months.
    Glad the weather was good for you .
    surferbum likes this.