'12 f800gs EWS...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ManWow, Jan 26, 2014.

1. ManWow

ManWow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I went to start my bike and let it run a bit as I do a couple times a month to keep things fresh through the winter and I randomly got an EWS code... From what I read I have to get an all new antennae at the dealer to fix this. The bikes only has 3,xxx miles on it. Any ideas as to what happened or what I can do?
  2. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    You can start by not running your bike a couple of times per month. You're doing 10x more harm than good. Learn how to store it properly. It's a modern bike with nikasil cylinders.

Your EWS code is your computer getting confused by the low voltage output by the battery you're destroying. Charge the battery completly or replace it to prevent things like this. If it was a true EWS the bike wouldn't crank or run.
  3. ManWow

ManWow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was supposed to say winter. Be it as it may the battery had been left unhooked for the past three months. The battery was trickle charged to full before trying to start it.
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell us how you really feel Reaver......:lol3:lol3

(ps) I agree .:freaky
  5. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Well we go thru this all the time. A cold bike with thick summer oil needs a lot of juice to turn over which causes a low system voltage scrambling the ECU's thoughts. Our bikes sit in the cold garage with a battery charge once a month. Period. Never a problem.

And yes Erling, I get a bit touchy esp when the HD types like my neighbour runs his bike every f'n day to "keep it fresh". Then he tries to preach the benefits. :fpalm

PS.....I was being polite, really.
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D:lol3....:freaky
  7. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reaver. A couple of times your tone has pissed me off. But I must say your a valuable and accurate contributor to this site. Dave
  8. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most wear on an engine is when you start it after sitting for a while. You get metal to metal contact for a short period, which is much worst than letting the bike sit.
  9. MotoRod700

MotoRod700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's why I ride year round, but we don't get any snow here so it's possible. :clap
  10. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Is the original question how to avoid the code appearing, or how to clear it once it has?
  11. Reaver

Oddometer:
    How to make it right was my guess. An EWS code will disappear when everything's back to normal.

Normally you get the code when using the wrong key or trying to hotwire it. Sometimes if the ring ant. quits you'll get the code but either way the bike won't crank or run. The ring ant. is just a reader so it can be replaced or swapped between bikes without needing programming etc.

But a false code can appear at low voltages.
  12. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Would using the other key be a simple diagnostic check?
  13. Reaver

Oddometer:
    ??

If it's the same key you always use then no. The key doesn't quit. If in doubt or it's convenient then why not.

I've only seen one real EWS code and that's because the owner had a "bags only" key with no chip and it got mixed up. Towed it in too. Oops.

I've heard that having two different keys on one chain sometimes causes problems but I always carry her key on my chain and have never had an issue in the years of doing it.
  14. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I had a GM sedan called a Commodore (you know it's successor as the Chev SS) that had the absurd arrangement of a battery in the key powering the transponder for the engine immobilizer. The key charged as you drove. So when I used my spare key after two years in my sock drawer...

I presume modern keys are not like this?
  15. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Sounds like early (bad) idea.

No, the key has a RFID chip or similar technology device and only responds. The ring ant and system uses battery power. If you pop the side off your plastic key you'll see it (and lose it). On the F800R race bike I helped build, it was stripped for weight so I suggested tossing the ign lock and trim down the ring ant which we glued the chip to. No key required.

The ring antenna needs proper voltage to function so an interruption creates a bad ID.
  16. ManWow

ManWow Adventurer

Oddometer:

The question is if I can clear it without taking it in when it warms up.

I made sure that the battery was fully charged and turned the ignition on (don't worry, didn't try starting it). The EWS code still shows. I tried the spare key and it show with that as well.

Is there a way to "reset" or clear the ecu like there is in cars? If it was at low voltage and that fault is logged I was thinking if there was a way to "reset" that could work. When I had a gas cap issue on my car the check engine light wouldn't go away and I was well away from any dealer. All I had to do was disconnect the + and step on the brake.
  17. Reaver

Oddometer:
    The EWS code stays there to let you know someone tried to mess with your bike. You should be able to ride the bike and have it go away. Maybe 3 times? I've had those codes show up on bikes connected to the Dealer computer and they can be deleted or ignored. There's usually a number of nuisance codes anyway.

Wait till it warms up and once you ride you'll forget about all that. You haven't done anything permanent or something that will leave you stranded in the future. If you're able to warm the bike up above maybe 40F then start it up. I used to direct a kerosene heater at the sump and in this house I'm able to wheel it into the basement overnight. Or just wait till it gets nice out.

Disconnecting the battery clears the time and date on the computer then the "Service" light will flasf too. I know you can check codes with GS 911 without registering the bike (and taking up a slot) but I'm not positive you can clear them without registering.

Don't worry, be happy.
  18. Reaver

Oddometer:
  19. ManWow

ManWow Adventurer

Oddometer:

Interesting, that last portion may be what happened. I had disconnect the battery fully before this happened. Thanks!
  20. epicxcrider

epicxcrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I lived in the cold east I just brought the battery inside for the winter and kept the trickle charger on it there. A warm battery is a happy battery!