12 year fuel strip warranty nearing an end. Will you keep your bike?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by lacofdfireman, Jun 25, 2019.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was thinking today about the 09 GSA sitting in the garage and wondering if the bad fuel strip issue will make some people want to sell their 07-09 BMW’s because the 12 year warranty will be coming to a close. It’s frustrating that after 10 years BMW has still never came up with a good fix that actually works. Makes me think it should be warrantied forever. I realize you can just reset the trip meter and figure out your mileage by that but it’s frustrating to have such a great bike with a petty issue. Wish there was a permanent fix. Well I guess I actually do have a permanent fix. April of 2020 I’ll be buying a new 1250 GSA. That should fix it.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I’ll be keeping my eye out for super clean bikes with faulty fuel gauges at discount prices.
  3. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enough said. Close the thread.
  4. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Haha. Well standby. If I can make this 1250 happen in April next year I know of a nice clean 09 that will be moving on.
  5. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, I had a 2005 K1200s with the fuel strip issue. After two failed strips, the dealer installed a third but did not calibrate it. They told me at the time they'd started to suspect that the calibration process was causing premature failures. I rode the bike for the next three years without any more failures, and it was still working when I sold it last summer.

The shop also told me the strip would calibrate over time as long as I let it run close to empty and filled the tank a few times. I don't really know whether it "calibrated," but it was certainly close enough to be useful.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

If a defective fuel gauge is enough to make you sell you bike, best to only own bikes under warranty, preferably not a BMW. We have enough whiners already! :lol3
    ontrip, dad2bike, slowagain and 4 others like this.
  7. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    My R12R has a bad strip. Don’t care, just reset trip meter.
  8. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    No I’m planning on buying a new 1250 next year anyways but having the nearest dealer over 120 miles away for warranty work is kinda a pain. And it would be nice to not have to just run my tank off the trip meter all the time. Like I said it’s just sad they never came up with an actual fix that worked after 12 years of recalls. I’m honestly shouldn’t that have been enough time to figure out the real issue and fix it. Never owned any other bike that’s had a fuel gauge issue and I’ve owned a ton of bikes.
  9. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    It’s what I do also but it’s nice to have a working fuel gauge. And I’d think when spending over $20k for a bike they could come up with a fix that actually worked within the 12 year recall period. But I guess not.
  10. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those bikes are long sold. No longer important to the bean counters.
    tire joe and JimVonBaden like this.
  11. antariusjp

antariusjp Large Title Here

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm lucky but mine still works just fine? LOL
    ultane likes this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought an 09 and the fuel strip was bad when I got it. I rode it that way for about a week before I hit the dealer up who happily replaced it promptly. I will admit that I like the readout that it provides (although I've always been a "set the odometer" person).

But anyway, I guess if it really bothered you...from what I understand it has a 2 year warranty after a new one is installed. So at close to two years, go back to the dealer and tell them it's acting up. Doesn't matter if it's after the 12 year period because you have a two year warranty. Rinse and repeat every two years. Would I do that? Probably not because it isn't that big of a deal. But like others have said...FIX THE PROBLEM BMW!
  13. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    mine is seeming to work just fine.. I use no alcohol whenever possible and ride regularly, so the fuel never gets stale.

I think they made some improvements so hopeful. We will see. I do not want a newer BMW, too many things like TPMS with non replaceable batteries, keyless locking and other crap not needed that can fail and cost $$$$ Heck for me, tire expense is bad enough.

Rod
    ultane likes this.
  14. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^THIS X 100!!!^^^^^
  15. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The key thing to remember is: When checking the fuel level after dark...do not use your lighter to see into the tank!

But yes I think selling at the earliest possible time would be an excellent idea!

TG
    lewisjr1 likes this.
  16. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Being a Fireman I approve this message. Great advice.
    DonniBoi, JimVonBaden and Motorius like this.
  17. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually saw a HD with (Don't Use Lighter Dummy!) written on the top of the gas tank parked in Sturgis. No fuel strips on Shovel Heads.
    DonniBoi likes this.
  18. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    I’ve owned 2 RT’s and 3 GSA bikes and this is the only one that’s had issues. I really like the 09 and to be honest I won’t sell because of the fuel strip. That’s not why I want to upgrade to a LC GSA. The reason for my upgrade is my last 3 bikes have been Super Teneres with Electronic Cruise. And for me I have a 360 mile commute to work each way and the electronic cruise is a game changer. I really want a new 1250 but to be honest I’m a used bike guy since I seem to be able to usually find a better deal with lots of extras already on the bike so may just look for a 16-17 when the time comes. But must have Electronic Cruise. That’s why the 09 will go.
  19. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you believe I still have the original fuel strip on my 2009 GS and it works fine?

But, yeah, it's surprising BMW hasn't managed to engineer a fix for this, or for that matter that the aftermarket hasn't come through.
  20. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now you're just bragging!
    timeOday likes this.