1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

1200 Scrambler Luggage

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Black Rhino, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    So let's start a thread helping others work through solutions for luggage on the 1200 Scrambler. Here was my solution , not perfect , but has worked for me for almost 6 months , and even allowed me a long road trip that was nearly 3000 miles in 9 days.

The left side is a factory bracket with the docking hardware removed , I fabbed up a plate with a small foot and bolted it to the factory bracket.

The exhaust side is not fancy , but consist of 2 Giant Loop exhaust guards (meant to protect soft bags on hot pipes. I added a D ring to the bottom guard and made a booty fabbed hold down to secure the right bag in place. I currently have them tethered together with Rox Straps , over the seat , which since I don't carry a passenger , isn't an issue.

A cobbled set up , but works good for me , and seems to fit the bike nicely.
    Phone Dump 1-26-20 078.JPG Phone Dump 1-26-20 089.JPG Phone Dump 1-26-20 093.JPG Phone Dump 1-26-20 192.JPG
    tart and sickboy like this.
  2. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    Left side. Use you minds eye as you can see the plate (alloy) with the small foot under and supporting the bag.
    Phone Dump 1-26-20 102.JPG Phone Dump 1-26-20 103.JPG
    rc51owner and tart like this.
  3. rc51owner

rc51owner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to add to this sub-thread; I contacted Happy Trails about the possibility of them doing a rack system for the 1200 Scrambler series of bikes as they do one for the air cooled 900 Scrambler. There response was, "No".

Cheers,

M
  4. rc51owner

Oddometer:
    On the same vein, I contacted Altrider about them doing a rear rack for the 1200 Scramblers as someone on the big 1200 Scrambler thread converted their air cooled rear rack (sits over the passenger area) to fit our bikes and their response was, "No".

Cheers,

M
  5. YJake

YJake Social Distancing Before It Was Cool

Oddometer:
    I used the factory pannier rack to mount a Vuz waterproof roll bag. It’s been hanging on for over 5k mikes now and has worked perfectly. I’m not terribly interested in adding a second, but it’s great that people are working around it.

The Vuz Bag
    5F2D0CDD-9DA0-42B8-AB77-D77F1F4909E5.jpeg

And my two Wolfman duffels loaded on the rear portion of the seat using ROK straps.
    75EF214A-9AE1-452C-B6FA-89B56682370B.png
    I’m waiting on an aftermarket rear rack with a higher rating than the factory to add more luggage.

-Jake
    Cruz and Black Rhino like this.
  6. rc51owner

Oddometer:
    On a more positive note there are alternatives to the (what I consider) expensive Triumph soft pannier system.

Unit Garage has a complete replacement:

https://www.unitgarage.com/triumph/...er_left_subframe_triumph_scrambler_1200_xc_xe

Both SW Motech and Hepco Becker have (left) side racks for use with their proprietary luggage.

SW Motech:

https://sw-motech.com/bike/TRIUMPH/...k/Legend+Gear/Seitentraeger/4052572178379.htm

Hepco Becker:

https://www.hepco-shop.de/meinbike/...tig-links-schwarz-fuer-ktm-790-duke-2018.html

Cheers,

M
    Black Rhino likes this.
  7. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m watching this thread with great interest. Even though I have the Street Scrambler, many of the pannier racks fit it as well and I’ve been struggling with luggage ideas. I have the SW Motech Legend bag on the left side, but it’s capacity is too small and I don’t really like it much. Although I prefer the idea of bags that look the part (retro), I’ve even toyed with trying to attach one Mosko Moto Backcountry 25 to the left side but have some worries about the balance of weight. I have seen someone use a Reckless 80 on one but it looks kind of sloppy, which maybe doesn’t really matter in the end.
    Black Rhino likes this.
  8. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I contacted Metal Mule UK and asked about pannier frame(s) and they said they were in production and should be available by spring........but I can't find the info wether it's a single frame or 2 or even if it's using an added brace..................
  9. Johnytuono

Oddometer:
    I'm toying with the idea of this........held on with 4xM6 screws to the OEM rack but without the bobbins installed....

IMG_6249.JPG IMG_6250.JPG
    Mack McNamara and rc51owner like this.
  10. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What amazes me is that all those manufacturers make mile wide frames for GSes, KTMs etc etc but cant figure it out for Scram. Last time I was on moto show like Intermot but local I got chatting with one company team and had to show them with (!!!!) Tape measure how wrong they are when saying "exhaust too wide". They literally had nothing to say when I proved to them that rhs frame on Scram can be way closer to center than on GS 1200.
    I guess they need to start hiring engineers instead of just fabricators. Too expensive :(
    ChuBrocka and Johnytuono like this.
  11. Johnytuono

Oddometer:
    Yeah all I want is a frame to hold soft luggage on the RH side so I can have saddle bags......I know there is workarounds with heat shields etc but surely.......just a simple frame?...........please...........pretty please?
  12. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am also surprised there is so little available for luggage on this bike. And what is available is small.
  13. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to have been able to use these. They look great on the Urban GT in my opinion and not bad on this Duc.
    1442964C-E381-4FBB-854D-0F7FED1B38A8.jpeg
  14. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I did a weeklong 3000-mile trip on my Scrambler last summer. I made a point of packing light, so the setup seen below worked great for me. Triumph Rugged Pannier with a water bottle holder attached to one side via MOLLE sticks, and a Mosko Moto pouch to the other, plus a DrySpec D38 on the tail and the small Givi waterproof tank bag. All my camping gear fit in the D38 (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, inflatable pillow, mallet, folding chair). Clothes and toiletries fit in the pannier. The D38 had some room left over for carrying dinner back to camp or whatever.

Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised at how well this setup worked. I never felt like I needed more space, and the bike felt a lot less loaded than my Tiger has on previous trips.

[​IMG]

--mark
  15. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will probably end up buying that same pannier for mine...works for the Street Scrambler too so I’m told. Then I have a Mosko Moto Backcountry duffel I will strap on the back.
  16. Johnytuono

Oddometer:
    Looks good that.....how is the pannier frame though.....is it sturdy enough? I'm just worried about too much flexing......
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    It's fine as long as you don't seriously overload the pannier. Keep the heavy stuff in a tail bag and fill the pannier with the lighter stuff like clothes, etc.

Some enterprising soul with manufacturing capabilities would do well to develop a bolt-on strut to connect the bottom of the Triumph pannier frame to the passenger footpeg hanger for added support. With that, it would be pretty rock solid.

--mark
  18. Johnytuono

Oddometer:
    Yeah I agree, I have seen some people do this but can't get any info on materials etc and wether the brace is welded to the pannier frame etc
  19. Johnytuono

Oddometer:
    Sometimes just going back to basics is the easiest solution......this is an OS18 which would be fine for a day trip (or even a couple of days).....simply fastened onto the Triumph pannier frame......

IMG_6301.JPG IMG_6302.JPG
    Cruz and rc51owner like this.
  20. NL-Patrick

NL-Patrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone installed a topbox yet?
    Mr.Rabbit likes this.