1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

1200 Scrambler Luggage

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Black Rhino, Jan 26, 2020.

1. lanslide

lanslide Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the update.

Alltracks in Brazil claims to be making two sided luggage and racks but nothing on their website that I can find, although the new Tiger 900 setup is on their site.
  2. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    20200814_194951.jpg Just installed Triumph Tank Bag. Easy access and nice phone pocket on top.

Attached Files:

rc51owner likes this.
  3. lanslide

lanslide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I received an email back from Ricardo at Akurat in Costa Rica. No web site but they have a Facebook page. Here are two photographs of two side racks they offer for the Scrambler 1200.

"Our side racks should fit without a problem on your 1200 XC, they were design more as a rear crash bar to protect the muffler so they are really beefy. They work perfectly with softbags and we have seeing panniers with universal type mount installed on them."

"It is a 3 pieces rack(both side and the rear bridge between them), powder coated, aluminum spacers and stainless steel bolts."

"I send your pics of our racks on a bike that has really put them to the test (they are totally scratched, the way we like to see them)."

I have not had any experience with Akurat.

Kevin

unnamed.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    Black Rhino likes this.
  4. LouGubrius

LouGubrius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GR8SKP likes this.
  5. michvin

michvin n00b

Oddometer:
    My phone overheated every moderately sunny day in a similar phone holder from Givi (in New Jersey, for temperature reference).
  6. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    I had no phone issues (Samsung S9) on a sunny 90 degree day in GA but didn't have it plugged in to power. One problem I found is the bag restricts standing on the pegs due to its height and rearset, which is an issue for me on forest roads.
  7. Halonic

Halonic Hmmm

Oddometer:
    Mornin all, Regarding the Metal Mule rack; behold.
    Lots of teething troubles (crap instructions, many spacers wrong) but, within a week of receiving Metal Mule had solved all the issues (inc. stepped spacers attaching to the front grab rail frame holes) and lo; I have dual soft panniers on a Scrambler. Metal Mule now have all the correct dimensions and issues so the next batch should be mint.
    Watch for swing arm clearance on the left (not exhaust) foot peg and two of the Mosko bolts had to be trimmed to avoid contacting the stock exhaust. Oh and I got paranoid about the soft pannier fasteners melting under exhaust heat so have wrapped the silencers (and the cat as I had spare, does keep heat down a bit which is nice). Took it out yesterday for a hot ride: nothing fell off, nothing melted and nothing went up in flames, so all good AND I got to cart things about in the panniers! So yeah, all good.
    Good bit of kit, solves the pannier issue and it will happily take Mosko (and I’m guessing anyone else’s) frames. Or even Metal Mule’s own boxes.

Attached Files:

markbvt, Black Rhino and rc51owner like this.
  8. Shoeshear

Shoeshear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended up picking up Franklyspeaking’s Akurat racks. Seems like it’s decent quality, but not crazy top shelf stuff. MoskoMoto 35L panniers fit with just slight finagling of the mounting bolts. Clear the exhaust nicely. With the bags on, The back of the bike is definitely wider than the bars. 0C4F64AF-60A5-47DA-B03E-42EC6E41D97E.jpeg 6F473908-5DDC-4EDE-9AFA-6E305B98BA8C.jpeg 330F9373-47E2-447A-8E54-62CB201BA09A.jpeg
  9. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Shoeshear That looks great! The finish may not be on touratech or metal mule standards but they're beefy AF. It should offer good protection for dirt naps.
    Shoeshear likes this.
  10. Shoeshear

Shoeshear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed on the beefy-ness. The mounting tabs are really chunky too which was something I was a little worried about. I'm happy to take any extra protection from dirt naps haha.
  11. checkerboardsquare

checkerboardsquare n00b

Oddometer:
    @Shoeshear hey man, would you put up a shot from the back of the bike, similar to pic #3 of Halonic's post? I'd like to compare and get an idea of the difference in clearance/width on either side of the bike. From what I can tell, the metal mules have a lot of extra width on either side, where the Akurats sit a bit closer.
    Cruz likes this.
  12. Shoeshear

Shoeshear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About 21.5" outside to outside on the tubing, about 23.25" w/ the Mosko Moto wedge/plates on. The Akurat definitely sit close. It's nice because it's narrower than the bars, even on the XC, which has the narrower handlebar. The downside is that you can't really attach much on the inside of the left rack. Could probably attach a tool roll there. The plate that's welded to the center of the Akurat is drilled for Rotopax mounting, but since I have the bags, it's a no-go.
    IMG_3128.jpg
  13. michvin

michvin n00b

Oddometer:
    Can you please share the part#? Can't find it for some reason.
    Just came back from a 3-day trip and realized how badly I need a bag with quick access...
    Thank you!
  14. dingo_dan_22

dingo_dan_22 n00b

Oddometer:
    Metal Mule Rack, Mosko Moto Back Country 35L and Ventura Rack. Used back spacers from Metal Mule as front and used a few stainless washers to square up the rear. The powder coat finish on Metal Mule's racks are great!

Attached Files:

Shoeshear likes this.
  15. Shoeshear

Shoeshear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude that’s a great setup. I’ve been trying to figure out if the Akurat deal would be compatible with the Ventura stuff, but I may have to settle for something custom. We shall see!
  16. dingo_dan_22

dingo_dan_22 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thankyou. Going to test it out Sunday and do a little moto camping.
  17. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    01B3D186-CC81-476B-9A88-B93AF6F5F365.jpeg

Mosko 30 L, for people who would prefer to keep the lines of the bike untouched and/or don’t do camping.
    OzSummers and fastring like this.
  18. Sim100GS

Sim100GS n00b

Oddometer:
    Having looked on the page for over a year I thought I best make a post.

Good to see the metal mules with a tail tidy, Dingo Dan. Are you going to alter the rear brace or leave it under the number plate? I have a Tec tail tidy and have contacted MM to discuss, I also want to interchange my Touratech panniers that I also use on my 100gs
  19. Sim100GS

Sim100GS n00b

Oddometer:
    C1FDFA76-F3E5-4839-9276-7A0F35187832.jpeg

Here’s a picture of my current set up a triumph side bag and my trusty 20 year old roll bag outside the Glenlyon post office / cafe in Scotland, part of my 5 day trip up that way.
    GR8SKP likes this.
  20. dingo_dan_22

dingo_dan_22 n00b

Oddometer:
    I built my own tail tidy b/c TEC was closed forever due to covid. I'd argue the one I built is pretty close to the TEC tail tidy. Going to leave it as is for now.

Attached Files: