1200GS + Dirt + Cast Rims + Street Tires = Dumb Ass?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by luv_to_ride, Oct 5, 2005.

1. luv_to_ride

luv_to_ride Yeah Baby! :.::.Denver CO

Oddometer:
    A buddy would like to go ride at Rampart Range this weekend. I have done some dirt with the saddle bags and top case and was rather uncomfortable.
    I am inexperienced when it comes to dirt!
    This weekend I will remove the saddle bags and top case, but are still a bit nervous. Has anyone ever been out to Rampart Range on a GS with stock cast rims and street tires? What do you think is it worth trying it out in a cautious way or would you recommend spokes and dirt tires before trying it out?

Cheers,
  2. Thorny

Thorny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on how tall you are and how well you ride and whether you'll loose it if you drop the bike into a rock or tree.

How tall indicates whether you can touch the ground when you are about to drop the bike, how well you ride indicates how often you'll drop it, and your attitude indicates whether you two will still be friends when you and your buddy leave for the day. And I'm just talking about taking a big GS to Rampart. As for the tires issue, would you ride your bike up a street if it were covered with snow? Thats about what it will be like for your rear tire to push a 600# bike plus you up a scree covered hill.

When are you two going? I think I might want to come and watch :evil

J
  3. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    Why Rampart Range? What kind of terrain are you looking to ride? Most of the northern end of Rampart is set up for dirt bikes and such. To the south there are some easier DS type trails and roads to do.

However, depending on WHAT kind of riding you'd like to do, there are a ton of more scenic areas to ride.

So, tell us what you're looking to do..

t.
  4. Colorado

Colorado Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    If all you want to do is ride Rampart Range Road, then the GS with street tires and cast wheels should be fine. The road is very smooth for 99% of its length from Hwy 67 to Woodland Park. I did that ride on my VFR a few years ago.

If you want to to ride your GS on the trails that take off on either side of Rampart Range Road and you're a n00b, then you'd be way better off on a light weight, knobbie shod, dedicated dirt bike.
  5. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    I've spent countless hours riding at Rampart and have never seen a GS or similair type bike on any of the trails, I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm not sure how much fun it would be. Go ride up Rollins pass or Kingston peak, more scenic and probably more fun.
  6. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    There is a trail that is on the West side of Rampart Range Road. It runs along the road from 67 to Devil's Head. There is a million places to bail out if need be. Its easy and you wont have any trouble if you are not afraid of dirt. Very few rocks on that trail so the rims wont be an issue. Watch your front end as it will wash out if you are not careful as its pretty hard packed and slick with sand on top in places. From that trail you can venture down others to test your pain threshhold. I'll go up there with you guys on my GS. Let me know... :deal
  7. Mike D

Mike D Corporate Cog

Oddometer:
    You're crazy man, ccrrraaaaaaaazzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyy.............
  8. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :wave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    And where's the picture of the broken transmission housing. Huh? Didn't that happen on RR?

T.
  10. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Like all things, moderation is key. Rampart Range Road, on a GS with the stock tires shouldn't be a problem if you're going at a speed the suspension and the tire tread can accommodate. Try to ride it like a teenager on a 250 with full nobies and you'll probably get yourself in trouble. The (Rampart Range) road, trail #300, should be easy and fun. It's just a dirt road, not a New Hampshire hill climb. Off of the roads, I'd suggest riding them on something a little more dirt worthy first to find out what they're all about, if they have any difficult (difficult for you) sections and where they end up.

It's not always the bike. My riding buddy, who's ten times the rider I'll ever be, takes his GS1200 with the stock Trail Wings down trails at triple the speed I can do on my KLR. I'm on the better dirt bike, his bike has the superior rider.

Moderation. It's for fun, not (in this case at least) a race.
  11. luv_to_ride

luv_to_ride Yeah Baby! :.::.Denver CO

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your comments, tips and kick ass pictures by cRAsH!
    I decided to do it and will stay on the main dirt roads for my first introduction to a stretch of dirt on the GS. (Maybe one attempt to do a trail where I could easily bail out as suggested by BigDave)

Cheers,
  12. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    dont let Infracaninophile scare you. I am sure that he could even ride that trail on his wife's F650GS :nod
  13. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Well, let me clarify:

The main Rampart Range road is a piece of cake. One could ride a Goldwing down the length of it at an average speed of 50 mph.

The TRAILS at the northern end are more SUITED for dirt bikes and such.

There are several main offshoots, notably Mount Herman Road, etc.. that are also suitable for most any bike.

There are also a bunch of dual-track FS roads off of the main road near the Mt. Herman turnoff that are easily doable on a big GS. Even for me....

t.