1200GS Injectors in the 1100GS and 1150GS... Vrooom!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by RFK, Oct 17, 2016.

1. RFK

RFK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I swapped out my '99 R1100GS oem Bosch EV1 injectors w/93,000miles on them to R1200 injectors(Bosch EV14)... hello!!! On my commute to work this morning, the bike was singing the way an 1100GS never sang before. The superior fuel atomization of the EV14 is incredible. I have been riding the 1100GS for 18 years and I know the bike intimately. I urge all 1100 owners to make this upgrade. It's that good.

Shifting between gears has never been smoother. Acceleration... ridiculous. Smooth acceleration, less jumpy and twitchy the way the 1100 can be. More power off the line, more power throughout the power band. The throttle response is much better. Quieter. can't say enough good stuff.

The injectors are hand selected for matching and the package includes paperwork showing the output difference which is less than 1% up and down the tach.

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2078.JPG
    https://www.tills.de/product-47.html (Europe... Germany)
  2. Mituk

Mituk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is very interesting! I will be very curious to hear what it does to your mileage, whether it is up/down/no change. Do you know if they flow more fuel, or is it primarily better atomization?
    I recently installed an AF-XIED controller on my 1100, and it has noticeably improved low end throttle response, making things smoother and better behaved - but it is not a raw performance upgrade as in noticeably more HP.
    I'm wondering if this effectively does the same thing, by creating richer mixture, but also might flow more fuel - thus the improved performance - at off-idle throttle.
    Any fuel injection experts want to weigh in? Roger?

Thanks for putting this out there!

Dave
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  4. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    RFK,

are you running the bike in stock US configuration? ( using the O2 sensor)?

Pink Plug in the Fusebox CCP?
    pawlicho likes this.
  5. RFK

RFK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't believe they flow more fuel... I think it is strictly a better atomization of the fuel and a better, cleaner combustion. The oem 1100 injectors have a single jet or pintle to deliver fuel. The 1200 injector has 4 pintles to deliver fuel and the difference in atomization is significant.
  6. RFK

RFK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally stock. I intentionally did this upgrade before getting a AF-Xied so I would avoid confusion as to what device accounts for which improvements in power.
    thechief86 likes this.
  7. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    This makes sense, as relying on the O2 to determine mixture will not allow it to be "richer" overall really.
  8. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    I'd like to know what your mpg is?
  9. Loutre

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm really tempted now. darn, never been tempted before by such mods, but this one actually makes sense. Fuck it. means that I don't need to ad a 1200 to my stable anytime soon. god damn it
  10. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW! This gets the ADV GS THREAD OF THE YEAR...! Would love to do this on my 1150...
    Racegun, thisishalloumi and 3xranger like this.
  11. Mituk

Mituk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That makes sense - four streams instead of one is a huge improvement. Now I'm tempted to add these! Dang bikes, always something to spend money on . . .

Let us know when you get a mileage figure!
    Cheers
    Dave
    CoatsEast and Drwnite like this.
  12. RFK

RFK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My mileage figures will be skewed considering I am almost strictly a city rider. If I get some clean highway miles under my belt, I'll get some numbers.

watch this...
    Bear Archer, CoatsEast, ErikB and 3 others like this.
  13. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    That video explains a lot.

What are the wc versions like?
  14. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread has my full attention. My 1150 is coming up to the 100,000 mile mark, wondering if this change would improve my bike?? thinking, thinking.:bubba
    thisishalloumi and Loutre like this.
  15. anaheimtex

anaheimtex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most if not all fuel maps/components are for emissions not fuel economy or power. Which is why I can program my totally stock diesel truck in ten minutes and get 120 extra hp and 25% better mileage.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  16. anaheimtex

anaheimtex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is cost?
  17. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2002 1150GS has four hole injectors.
    ikayak likes this.
  18. RFK

RFK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike, The 1100GS came with the Bosch EV1, first gen injector. The 1200 injector is the Bosch EV14. I believe your injector was the Bosch EV6. Not sure how or why I know that but I have been reading a lot of injector info in various languages. I might be wrong. Your injector is better than the 1100 but a previous model to the 1200.

It cost me about 260 American... all in. Less than a new set of 1100GS injectors from any of the popular sites. I think I got a 15% discount for some reason. The kit is solid and typical of anything coming out of Germany... well-made and reliable.
  19. GotFog

GotFog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too vouch for the effectiveness of this upgrade.

This very subject came up on Roger's AF-Xied thread.

The above package arrived after about 10 days, pictured above, with instructions in German, but with plenty of pictures to make it obvious in installation.

Installation takes about 15 minutes at the most.

I have worked the bike now for the last several days, and my impressions are positive.

I find it has better idle and low speed response. The engine idles smoother, one can hear it as soon as it starts. I was practicing slow speed maneuvers today, and throttle response just off idle seemed to have a greater sensitivity than I had ever experienced prior to this upgrade.

In the Mid-range level the engine is clearly running smoother than I have ever been able to achieve through TB Syncing. I have been cruising about 600 miles over the last three days, and it just cruises nearly flawlessly. This without doing any TB syncing yet. Just slapping them in and running, the engine seems to have new life, smooth, and an effortless acceleration.

I too am running the AF Xied, at a setting of 6. I was averaging around 41 mpg prior, so I have no data yet to share here. It felt like (totally subjective here), that I had dialed in a 7 or 8, in sound and temperament, after the new injectors.

This has been another step in the right direction, as far as getting the 1100 to peak performance. I totally recommend considering the newer technology in your 1100's.

John
    Drwnite likes this.
  20. Loutre

Oddometer:
    that is true but as it was explained by OP they are the EV6 generation. I read the website and blogs in german and got more info about them. Basically the 1200GS or Ev14 have a better atomisation than the EV6. The EV6 will be better than the 1100s injectors but you'll still get improvement over your 1150.
    okiebandit1 likes this.