1200GS Injectors in the 1100GS and 1150GS... Vrooom!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by RFK, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog Wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  2. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI I ignored the banner, and ordered them last night. Also FYI, shipping to the US ran about $38, so all in for me was $164.

Aaaaaaaand this morning I got a shipping confirmation (in German) from DHL.de. No indication that shipping is delayed or whatnot.

I’ll update when it’s actually confirmed headed this way.
  3. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting that Injector Rehab is selling a similar kit and looks like no longer sells one with the injectors:

https://injector-rehab.com/shop/1200GS-Injector-Upgrade-Adapter-Kit-for-1150-GS-1100S.html

Either that eBay ad is from the same company or somebody stole the other's ad copy. I got a complete kit from them a couple years ago, for the r1150gs, no issues so far.

edit: it's the same people, and they do still sell full kit for the 1100gs:

https://injector-rehab.com/shop/1100xx/
    rg sw wa. and Yellow Dog like this.
  4. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m curious about this ECU trimming. I’ll be reading these posts...

Could care less really about the power bump. I’ve never been like “this thing is so slow, and it’s got a Staintune exhaust and sounds and goes awesome imo.

Really just want to eliminate the surging, especially going from steady 70 mph, to coasting the feeling is like I hit the brakes or something

Low speed it is like I’m getting that “jacking” effect ppl talk about with shaft drives. A smoother throttle is what I’m after here.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  5. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    I think you'll be really happy with the result, and definitely report back here. As you can see from my posts, I could comment on starting with the injector upgrade and then adding an AF-XIED, but not the other way around. Would be an interesting perspective!
    rg sw wa. and Yellow Dog like this.
  6. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    I never had a significant surging problem at higher speeds, but I understand it's very real & severe on some bikes. I did find the injectors alone permanently improved smooth power delivery and responsiveness, especially at low RPMs. AF-XIED then gave me further improvement in both of those areas, as well as the power boost. Again, just my experience.
    pops, rg sw wa., roger 04 rt and 3 others like this.
  7. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    Just ordered mine.
  8. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    So, just undo a fuel line, a control connector, a few bolts, pull out the old one and push the new one in (with a little alcohol or light lube so that it slides in to a fully-seated position)?

This on an 1100GS, with the injector-rehab product (shipped fast!).
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  9. Lowndes

Lowndes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jack90210 likes this.
  10. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Please, no alcohol near any rubber parts. Some very slight amount of silicone grease.
    Jack90210 and rg sw wa. like this.
  11. Mikeyfromgr

Mikeyfromgr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ordered some 1200 injectors for my new to me 95 r1100gs today... I figure with all the money im.spending on upgrades and farkles I may as well!
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  12. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    ... and no silicone in the fuel system as it attacks the O2 sensor. ;)
  13. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    I suppose you could just spit on it...unless you've been drinking.

I've received my shipping email from DHL. I think. It's in German.

As far as I can tell my injectors were in Frankfurt on the 23rd.

Woohoo!
    Jshbrwr and Rex Solgar like this.
  14. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, if you want to see tracking info, click the link in the German email, and on the German DHL page and click on the red number. It took me to the USPS tracking info for my injectors. Mine should be here Thursday. So, def not the typical lightning-fast tracking, but what else am I doing? Actually, I’m fixing/repainting the valve covers so can’t complain about them not being here lol

IMG_4051.png
  15. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    I've always used 91% isopropyl alcohol for installing new grips and the like. Helps them slide on easily, and stay put when they are moved into position.

Is isopropyl bad for rubber?

That's what I've heard, too.
  16. Lowndes

Lowndes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The adapter O-rings I got from Injector Rehab were Viton and impervious to almost everything. If yours are a grungy green color, I'd bet they are Viton, too. Or you could call Keith.
  17. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my package from Tills today, a day earlier than expected

IMG_4083.jpg

Going on the bike tonight!
    ajs18s and Rex Solgar like this.
  18. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installation was pretty easy, as expected. Went on a ride yesterday and am mostly pleased. I noticed a smoother overall response, and a good bit more roll-on power in upper revs. There is also a flat spot at very low throttle openings around 2k rpm.

I’m now working on a DIY manometer so I can do the throttle body sync which is highly recommended by Tills after installing. I’ve never done it on this bike, so it’s likely overdue. I’m also reading that before the sync, one should adjust valves. So that’ll actually have to be done first. I’ve only done valve adjustment on my old BMW e30 six cylinder, so this 4-valve will be a first.

Also - when putting the valve covers back on after repainting, I noticed that one bolt is stripped . I’ve read a few posts about helicoils and similar solutions so that will likely have to be taken care of before I can get on with the valve adjustment. Never dealt with anything like that so any help would be great!

It’s funny that what started out as a injector upgrade is having me take care of so many other things. All well warranted though and it’ll be right as rain when I’m done. IMG_4095.jpg

Here’s a shot while on that first ride with the new EV14s (and newly fixed/repainted valve covers, foot pegs and oil pan guard) #CoronaProjects
    rg sw wa. and GS Addict like this.
  19. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Time well invested in a great bike.
    Jshbrwr and rg sw wa. like this.
  20. Lowndes

Lowndes Been here awhile

Oddometer: