1200GS: New handlebar risers

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GB, Jun 8, 2006.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered my new risers from the advworkshop.com on Tuesday and 2 days later I had them in my hands!

I had the Verholen risers which worked very well for me, but wanted to try the Adventurers Worskhop risers. The Verholens are 40 mm up and 40 mm back. The AWS risers are 65 mm.

Here's a picture of both risers installed to the triple clamp:

[​IMG]
  2. GB

Oddometer:
    Same shot from the side. They are both actually very close in overall reach to the bars, but this picture makes it look like the Verholens would make the bars sit closer.. it's just the angle of the picture, i.e the parallax error type of thing.. i.e. optical illusion

[​IMG]
  3. GB

Oddometer:
    Here you can see how the Verholens sit lower than the AWS risers:

[​IMG]
  4. GB

Oddometer:
    Risers installed. Note that I had the cables and wires rerouted under the triple clamp, between the fork leg and the triple clamp. This is a 5 minute job.
    (my digicam sucks)
    [​IMG]
  5. GB

Oddometer:
    Side view:

[​IMG]
  6. BigX

BigX n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer:
    How do you like the positioning now? :ear
  7. GB

Oddometer:
    The other side, note how the cables are routed:

The risers have built in threading to attach up to 4 RAM balls for gadget addicts like me..

Overall, the added comfort will be appreciated on long trips. Aesthetically, the risers look fantastic. Great risers, great service from Andrew F. at the Advworkshop.com. These come in a lower version as well, as a version for the 1150GS. :thumb

[​IMG]
  8. GB

Oddometer:
    I like it even better than the Verholen risers. Well worth the wait :clap
  9. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Told ya:clap They look sweeet GB:thumb
  10. GB

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm very pleased!! My pics suck.. yours are much better, you should post them here.. I also need to get my SLR digicam to talk to my computer so I can post better pics..
  11. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    They look great to me----here's a few more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>It's a nice feeling to see a product idea taken from beginning to end. Good job Andy (Mr. Adventurer's Workshop) :thumb

- Jim<BR><BR>
  13. mattmor

mattmor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, how much more upright could you make the R12gs? I was considering trying to lower the bars for a little be sportier lean. I get a pinching between my shoulders which I attribute to the upright riding position. Just trying to figure where people are going with the risers on a GS. The risers do look very sweet though. Thanks.

Matt
  14. GB

Oddometer:
    It all depends on your physique and your riding preference. In stock form, my arms are fully extended and locked at the elbows, and my back is arched forward ever so slightly, ending the day with a pain in my lower back.

So for me, having my arms bent somewhat at the elbows and my back is upright is where I find my comfort.
  15. Darrel Adamson

Darrel Adamson Free Range Chicken

Oddometer:
    Gadget Boy and/or Azabeemerboy,
    Very nice looking risers you have. Do you see any potential problems with the brake line being too short or kinking when the bar is cocked left or right? I like the idea of the extra tall risers (actually ordered a set today from AWS) but have always been concerned when using even short 25mm risers on 1150 GSes-- the brake line is very close to being too short and rerouting seemed to kink the line. This is my first 1200 Adventure so as yet to mess with the bars. Thank you in advance for your input. Darrel
  16. CyaC

CyaC Reality Unplugged

Oddometer:
    I've got a brakeline kit in the flea market that solves the problem. I never used it and took my risers off to use my BMW GPS.

I know shameless reference post.
  17. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    I have never had any problem with the stock positioning of the bars. In fact I feel the bike and the bars are as close to ergonomic perfection as I have ever felt.

That being said, I would venture to guess that since azbeemerboy is running the renthals his bar position is probably pretty close to stock with the risers. That make sense to me. :thumb
  18. GB

Oddometer:
    There's no problem with the brake / clutch or wires being too short. But as you can see, my cables have been re-routed so they are on the inside of the fork legs. I don't know if you left the cables in their stock position if they'd be long enough. My guess is that they won't be long enough and you'd need to re-route them. Re-routing the cables takes about 5 minutes per side:

Remove the plastic cap at the top of the fork leg, release the bolt, drop the fork leg down slightly, position the cables on the inside, and re-torque the bolt back to spec. All torque specs can be found at www.r1200gs.info

:beer
  19. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Horrible picture but shows the way I ran mine. GS isn't all that ergonomically fitted to a tall guy imho and that weird bend on the stock maguras...err...less than ideal for my wrists. I needed higher, farther back, and less raked handlebars. I ran various ProTapers on top of 35mm wunderlich risers and verholin 40 up and 40 back. Stock brake line worked fine on my ABS sled.
    [​IMG]
  20. Artboy57

Artboy57 Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer:
    Thanks for being the Guinea Pig, GB.(or would that be...GP?)I really want the extra height for peg standing, I guess I'll be slipping Andrew a few more simolians. My only grumble is the finish, as it doesn't really match the other brushed metal on the cockpit. Do you know if it's got some kind of clearcoat on it, or do you think you could sand it for a more brushed look? Either way, looks like a must-have. Gracias!