1200GS: New handlebar risers

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GB, Jun 8, 2006.

1. BobFV1

BobFV1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't tell if those risers are really ugly or really cool looking - so they work perfectly on the GS, about which I have the same aesthetic conundrum. I like my Verholen barbacks, which appear to do about the same thing as the ADVWorkshop ones.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm.. I can't tell if they are clearcoated... Maybe Andrew F. can shed some light on this.

The Verholen risers are very good, but they sit quite low and might interfere with certain tank bags. For example, I have Big Mak's hinged tank bag bracket, which attached to the gas cap. The Verholens sit quite low and just over the plastic area of the tank, so I had to fabricate a modified bracket.

These risers sit 25mm higher (which is a full inch higher). I like the overall position for me, and they also work better for standing on the pegs.
  3. GB

Oddometer:

They actually look very cool. Better in person than in my lousy pics. I'll be mounting a couple of RAM balls on them. The top bracket can be mounted in either direction: the ram ball mounts can be mounted either up towards the shield or down, towards the tank. There are 4 RAM ball mounts in all.

Between these risers and the BestRest rider's classic backrest, I'm all set for hours of comfort.
  4. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    They can be sanded and painted with little effort. I tested the 35MM with the stock bars with no binding of the cables in the stock position. As GB says the 65MM requires moving the brake and clutch behind the triple clamp which is simple as you do not have to disconnect the lines. As RC suggests, the 65MM with the Renthall twinwall is just a wee bit further back and higher than stock.
  5. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    If you rub a little mothers in an inconspicuous spot,If the rag gets black there is no clearcoat
  6. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    I have the bigmak too and the bars at full lock left hit the bracket. I'm gonna think about these as they will probably give enough hieght to clear it:thumb
  7. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    No clear coat just polished. This makes it easy to finish them the way YOU like it.

I concentrated on the design and function first. I just did not want to get caught up in the color making decision which would have delayed them even longer. So we leave that up to you.

thanks for all the positive feedback!!
    Andrew
  8. GB

Oddometer:
    Thanks Andrew.. Mine will be black in the near future! :thumb
  9. JohnK

JohnK El Turco

Oddometer:
    Hello Rick,

Great looking raisers. I have Verholens on my GS like you used to but could use the 65mm up and back for a more comfortable position.

My only concern is that it looks like with these raisers, BMW tank bag will not work. I currently have the BMW tank batg and use it often for the day trips. I love the capacity...

What do you think, will the BMW tank bag work with these new raisers?

ps. again, thanks for the dark side panel..
  10. GB

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised the Veholens worked with the BMW tank bag. They are lower than the AWS and hang over the tank plastic right where you'd attach the front hook's strap. If the Verholens worked with the tank bag, then I would imagine that these would too. They might contact the tank bag but as long as you don't have it full of watermelons, it should work. I don't have a BMW tank bag, so I can't tell you for sure. You might want to ask Andrew F. at the advworkshop. I'll also be at the MOA rally in VT, in case you want to try it on my bike.
  11. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Any difference in Price between the two?
  12. GB

Oddometer:
    The Adventurersworkshop.com custom risers available in 2 different heights are $195. The Verholens are about $140.
  13. GB

Oddometer:
    I finally went for a long ride with the new AWS 65mm risers.

They are noticeably higher than the Verholens I had on before. I had to re-aim my mirrors. My reach to the bars is also somewhat less distant. Overall, I found the comfort level excellent. Plus, they look great and I'm very pleased with the option of adding up to 4 Ram balls. Gadget lovers will :rabia this feature. :lol3

On the subject of glare: I was concerned that the midday sun will reflect off the risers' top clamp and cause glare. I experienced no such thing. They are shiny and I'm going to wait and see what they look like after some exposure to the elements. If this turns into a chrome cruiser polishing event, Krylon black paint will come to my rescue. I don't polish ... anything..

There are 2 riser heights to choose from, this will be left to your individual preference and physique requirements. One thing I can say about the 65mm risers is that the bars do sit noticeably higher than a stock GS, but this won't be mistaken for any ape hanger type setup! :rofl They shouldn't interfere with tank bag installation either, especially if you have the Big Mak tank bag fixed hinged bracket. With the latter, the aforementioned bracket would hit the Verholens, but now with these, it's clear sailing.

I guess I ought to take a picture outdoors of the overall look of the bike with the higher bars..

Thanks Andrew for all your efforts and the lightning fast delivery :thumb
  14. Rogue Scout

Rogue Scout Instigator Deluxe

Oddometer:
    Just one more satisfied owner of the new AW risers - on a 1100GS. I'm six foot tall, and they eliminated my discomfort riding with stock height bars.

I will be taking a scotchbrite pad to them to take the shine down, otherwise they are perfect for me right out of the box.
  15. GB

Oddometer:
    Not the right angle, the camera is lower than the handlebars due to a sloping driveway, but you get the idea

[​IMG]
  16. GB

Oddometer:
    Cockpit view

[​IMG]
  17. GB

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  18. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    GB now has room for many more farkles:evil
  19. GB

Oddometer:
    ADV'er Chumley sent me these pics. He had them anodized in black.

[​IMG]
  20. GB

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]