1200GS: New handlebar risers

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GB, Jun 8, 2006.

1. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Hey GB, did you have to bend that RAM U clamp or force it to get it that far down the bars on the left bar? I could only get mine on a slightly narrower bit than you higher up :ear
  2. touche

touche RidAventure maniac

Oddometer:
    After all theses discussions I was feeling confindent that risers up to 65 mm would fit if I take hydrolic hoses behind fork head.

I founded Rox risers that I find really sweet with all their flexibility. I ordered the 2" high one that fit 1 1/8" handle bars like we have ont the 1200GS.

[​IMG]

Unscreewed the fork and you were right its a 5 minute job...

But you know what, even with this 2" hight... front brake hose is too short...

[​IMG]

What's the next step ? could I try something else ? or ordering a longer hose is the only thing to do.

Any advise on replaceing this hose ? Where will I find it ?

Thanks guys for all your knowledge.
  3. GS Mojo

GS Mojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about to do this on my 1150GS.

After releasing the bolt, does the fork leg just drop down by itself, or do you need to force it down and then back up? Can you do this on the center stand? Just a few more details please.
  4. HawkHog_v2

HawkHog_v2 Living life where I live

Oddometer:
    I am looking at the Rox risers for my new red hot chili GSA. How did you guys on the thread resolve the issues mentioned?

Thanks for any advice before I take the plunge.
  5. SteveP

SteveP n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, thanks for posting. The risers look really solid. I was thinking of getting them since they look like they sit higher than the MV risers that came with my bike when I bought it. The MV's are low enough that they hit the turn clasps on my Touratech tank bag mount when steering hard left or right and effectively disconnect it. Now that I've seen your pics, I'm definitely going to order them.

Steve
  6. SFKLR

SFKLR Noob. Again.

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for risers for my 08GSA too. Let me know what you find out. Seems like current aftermarket bits should fit, but neither I nor my dealer can shed any light.
  7. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Medium-Viz

Oddometer:
    I noticed that the `08 12GS has built-in handlebar risers. Does anybody know what the change is from previous years (i.e. how much farther up and back)? I sat on an `08 at the dealership and could feel a slight difference vs my `05. But it was hard to guess how much.
  8. yamak

yamak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i've read it both ways , front brake hose will work if relocated, also that it won't work, before i get started does any one know for sure ? would someone tell me what the torque value is on the shock nuts ? I'm sure the mc jack will be required when you cut loose the front shock bolts to do the hose and wire reroute. thanks for any help,kinda nervous wrenching on a bike with 0 miles!!!!
  9. tyrebitr

tyrebitr jus wanna ride

Oddometer:
    I have the Rox Risers on my 06 GS. The brake hose is a little tight but I've been over 20,000 miles with it and no problems. Not sure about torque value but you can take the shock loose while on the center stand. It truely is a 5 minute job.
  10. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the line was long enough. I didn't use any jack when doing the cable re-route. I just put it on the center stand and did one tube at a time.

As for the torque, I've got 40nm down for them.
  11. yamak

yamak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    when the handlebars are pulled right the brake line has a 180 bend on the inside of the fork tube which looks quite tight , and as noted in other posts the line is tight against the triple tree , the line contact can be isolated, concerned about fatigue in the area of the sharp bends. hot spice and tirebitr are your brake lines similar ?
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this with the line behind the fork tube, or in front of it?

Jim :brow
  13. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple pic's of what my line looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignore the fact that my bike needs a bath :lol3

I might have rotated the connection on the bars a bit but I don't recall ever being concerned about the angles the lines are at.

I can take a pic full lock right when I get home tonight.
  14. yamak

yamak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    jim, i do have the line behind the tubes, hotspice, your pic does help ,almost looks like my line at the lower banjo fitting extends further to the front of the bike than say touche's pic in previous post , mine extend well forward under the top triple well inside the fork tube , has anyone tried to rotated the lower banjo fitting to gain clearance ? i supose it would result in air in the line, i know how to e mail pic but don't know how to but them here, it's a senior thing, thanks for the help , darn i'd hate to be out in the garage alone with the new bike , a pile of new male and female torx stuff, metric allen sockets, out of ideas and with no resources, oh and jim br is sending me your product, thanks for that.
  15. gary5410

gary5410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the RED ones before they were discontinued!!!!

[​IMG]
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    OK, sounds like the orientation of the line is off. You can break the line loose, just barely, and rotate it. If you do it right you wont lose a drop, and ne bleeding necessary.

I have done it a few times.

17. yamak

yamak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lower brake fitting is rotated as far as it will go toward the center of bike; there is a metal stop to prevent further adj, moving to the right doesn't appear to improve slack on line, i rotated upper banjo fitting toward front of bike and no slack was gained;put the line back in front of shock;great for straight or right ,no go for left turn,way to much pressure on line at base of fitting,OPTIONS: IF i can find a longer line change it out; how hard is it to bleed system ?OR put line back behind the upper triple and try to forget about having done a mod that you know IS NOT RIGHT but might be ok ? thanks
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I'm a little confused. You rotated the line, but moved it back to the front of the fork tube?

You should have no trouble so long as the line is behind the fork tube unless you have the ROX risers pushed way forward. There should be plenty of slack in the line.

The other option is a line from another BMW, or custom, but I am still not quite getting the situation. If you can take a digital photo, e-mail it to me, and I will post it for you.

Jimvonbaden at msn.com

19. hshaw

hshaw hank-went-thataway

Oddometer:
    I just purchased an 08 GS and am wondering the same thing about the riser options. I'd like to go up and back about 40 mm, but don't see any products that address the new factory set up. The mount appears to be a single piece forged onto the t-clamp. One of you, no doubt, has the answer.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Rox Risers will still work, as has been done on here.