1200GS: New handlebar risers

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GB, Jun 8, 2006.

1. hshaw

hshaw hank-went-thataway

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jim. I ordered the Rox for the 08 GS. I'll post the results after delivery and install.
  2. hshaw

hshaw hank-went-thataway

Oddometer:
    Okay, I got the Rox Risers and installed this morning in 15 minutes prior to riding to work. They perform as advertised. No problems with the cables. Next: winglets. Let the farkelizing begin...
  3. nharrisn

nharrisn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have ordered the new Verholen risers for the 08, check them out here
    http://www.mv-motorrad.de/lshop,shopstart,3275,e,1213925170-3275,,,,,.htm

Attached Files:

4. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    I just got the rox, not a sexy as some of the others but work well. Brake hose a little snug when you turn right so i snipped the zip tie part way down the frame and pushed the "clutch lever, mirror bracket" towards the right about 1/4". it is fine now but just barely. I wasn't conviced that they were very easy to install untill i realized that BMW made the clamps in such a way that you dont need to be able to access the small bolts to tighten the risers to the bike. (ok maybe not but...)

I now have two pillows behind me when i go riding with my wife! (nudge nudge wink wink)

...and she can see over my head better now too.

Big ride coming up next week. I will post if the shoulder fatigue issue i had with stock setup is resolved.

Also, droping the windshield a bit helps resolve neck burn.

Attached Files:

5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you move the hoses and wires behind the trippletree you will get a lot more freedome of movement from them.

For half the price of others, I will go with less sexy, especially on a GS!:deal :D

Jim :brow
  6. paulsgs

paulsgs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok I have an 08 GS. The Rox installed w/o a problem with the cables? Did you have to disconnect any of the cables?
  7. mrmurph

mrmurph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did we ever get an answer as to whether the BMW tank bag will still fit with either the Adventurersworkshop or Rox risers? I'm talking about the front hook that goes under the stock handlebar mounts....

Thanks!
  8. P7M13_user

P7M13_user Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :lurk
  9. mrmurph

mrmurph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump

!!
  10. hshaw

hshaw hank-went-thataway

Oddometer:

Nope. No problem with the cables after install. I tend to worry more about the throttle cable getting pulled. After I installed the Rox, I fired the beast up and turned the bars in each direction to see if I got a higher rev (this happened when I put risers on my F 650 GS). But not this time.

Ride comfort has improved greatly and I like the fact that the Rox is easily adjustable.

No, it's not as pretty as some other systems but the price was better than the other options -- and if I wanted beauty I'd fiddle with an RT.
  11. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    Well as promised,

Just got in from 3000 km trip over one week. with rox, no neck burn at all. Never once. really like them. I wont take them off now.

as for the hoses being tight... i found a zip tie on the left side for the clutch, if you move it towards the tank about 3 to 4 inches, it gives you all the slack you need.

no probs
  12. carternick79

carternick79 Cami's Dad

Oddometer:
    Has anyone painted the AWS risers???? I am looking into buying the 65mm version but I am not liking the shiny metal look. I want it black...
  13. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    What about risers that go up and forward? With a 39" sleeve I need as much forward as I can get. At 6'6" I need a couple of inches of lift also.:huh
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is the beauty of the ROX risers, they go up and any direction you like.

Jim :brow
  15. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I had read here that some folks were having issues with getting them tight enough so that they wouldn't slip. The thought of them moving makes me nervous.
  16. carternick79

carternick79 Cami's Dad

Oddometer:
    Okay so I just put my new 65mm AWS risers on my 07' GSA after I sent them off for powder coating. Man do I love these things!!! The only things is that I can't mount my factory fog light switch in between the risers. For some reason my risers have two pre drilled and threaded holes in the risers. What are these for? They are just a bit to big for the factory riser bolts to go in which is where the fog light switch attaches.

Does anyone know what these are for???
  17. paulsgs

paulsgs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One last question, which size ROX did you buy (if there are different sizes) ?
  18. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired

Oddometer:
    For your 1200 you'll want 1 1/8 .
  19. GSTed

GSTed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holes are there to put Ram ball mounts in.
  20. carternick79

carternick79 Cami's Dad

Oddometer:
    Okay guys,
    I didn't want to put my factiry fog light switch on my handle bars like I have seen some do after I got my 65mm AWS bar risers for my 07' GSA.

It just so happens that the new style risers have a 3/8 x 16 bolt holes to allow for 2 "RAM mounts" to be mounted into them but the spacing is spot on for the factory fog light switch braket to mount there as well.
    So off to my local home depot I went, I picked up two 3/8 x 16 stainless steel bolts and went to Grainger and ordered the tap and a drill bit. The next day my drill and tap arrived so I drilled and tapped the heads of each of the 3/8 bolts. I used a bit of Blue Loctite to secure the bolts to the bar riser cap. I then placed my fog light switch on the bolt heads and used teh factory screws to secure them on to the bolts.. And there you have it a factory looking job... :D On a side note if you have your risers powdercoated or painted make sure and chase the holes with a thread chaser or have who ever is doing the painting or powdercoating cap the holes. It will make things go much smoother. I had mine powder coated black but the plugged all the holes before shooting so mine was good to go...

Tools Used:

Drill Bit: 4.20mm
    Tap: 5mm x 0.8
    (2) Bolts: 3/8 x 16