1200GS: New handlebar risers

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GB, Jun 8, 2006.

1. carternick79

carternick79 Cami's Dad

Oddometer:
    For those of you that have the onld style bar risers (without the 3/8 x 16 bolt holes) the small RAM mount holes you have are just a bit to big for the factory screws that hold the fog light bracket. Just take the 4.20 mm drill bit and drill a couple holes into your top clamp. Tap the holes you drilled with the 5mm x 0.8 tap and your good to go.
  2. Davis53

Davis53 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just want to join in on the fun here, I can see these in my future.
  3. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    has anyone installed the Rox risers on an 1150GS? Issues? Also, which part number? 3R-P2SSM ?
  4. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Found I had to cut off the cable tie on the left side near the steering head for some slack on the clutch side, same on right side. Also had to run the throttle cable under the bars as opposed to over the top. But everything fit without extra parts or longer cables. An hour of fiddlie farting got the job done. Make sure you order 11/8 x 11/8 inch risers. They are nicely anodized to match the stock bars. Well made and multi adjustable. Can't see them ever coming loose. If you don't have the Torx set you can use a 10mm and an 8mm wrench on the bar mounts. Be carefull though.
  5. Madhatter

Madhatter More bike than brains

Oddometer:
    It looks as though the risers and the bars are held in place by the friction of clamping. I like the look of the Rox risers, but I wonder how secure this set up is. Do the Rox stay put? Any one have experience using their Rox off-road?

I'm considering adding a set of Rox to my 09 GSA. It looks like the throttle cable doesn't have much slack, can this cable be re-routed or is a longer throttle cable needed?

Thanks in advance.
  6. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Rox and have been offroad with them, no problem. There are threads on here with specific procedures on how to tighten, but once they are tight they will not move.
  7. Madhatter

Oddometer:
    Well the Rox rock. Installation was fairly easy. I did reroute the throttle cable under the bars as well as shift the brake/clutch cables in front of the forks (dropped one slider at a time as recommended here). Pretty damn happy with the new postion of the bars--I think they'll be more comfortable both on and off road.

[​IMG]
  8. zorba75482

zorba75482 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read the thread but can't see if the Rox risers work with the BMW tank bag on a 1200GS. Anyone know for sure?
  9. Madhatter

Oddometer:
    Not a BMW GS tank bag, but they seem to work fine with my new Wolfman bag....

[​IMG]
  10. zorba75482

zorba75482 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyonr ecommend some risers that work with the BMW tank bag? Am not looking for great increase in height, just back an inch or so.
  11. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone fit the Rox risers to a HP2? What model did you use?
  12. Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty Disco Infiltrator

Oddometer:
    I went looking for the AW risers today for my 1200 but only found 1150 versions on their site. Out of stock, out of production? I dropped them an email and will report back.
  13. Darth Lefty

Oddometer:
    They got them back in stock, I bought a set, installed them, and I can't get enough slack in the throttle cable at left lock. Suggestions?
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you reroute the throttle cable behind the tripple tree? Also, make sure you have the wire holder bent inward to allow more movement.

Jim :brow
  15. Darth Lefty

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim!

The throttle cable started out behind the triple tree and I removed the wire holder. Not enough.

This is a 2006, non-Adventure, ABS if it makes a difference.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    So when you turn full left it raises your RPM's? If so, your cable is misrouted , or badly ziptied under your tank. The Rox risers should work with any R1200GS without mods.

[​IMG]

17. Darth Lefty

Oddometer:
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    That clutch line and those wires are too tight. They need to be relocated behind the fork leg.

[​IMG]
    The throttle cable is awfully high over the tank. It should be low and tucked more on the right side. It looks like there is a routing issue under the tank. If you remove the tank you should be able to create some slack.

19. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    I think I like the Rox better. No routing issues either:1drink
  20. Darth Lefty

Oddometer:
    I told you to ignore those! :lol3

I'll give it a try tonight. This one shows the worst extent:

[​IMG]

I'm beginning to think my "routing issues" are due to the previous owner, not BMW or ADVWorks