1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

1250 GS/GSA Tire Change & Wheel Balance

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Covert, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dealer quoted me $115 installation for a set of 50/50 tires I was considering buying from them.

Now I'm looking at what it would take to do this myself. A few items I have collected are

* Motion Pro 08-0183 Valve Core Remover
    * Motion Pro 08-0536 BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool Set
    * Motion Pro RimShield II Rim Protectors

What tools do you guys use to balance your wheels on your GSA? I found the BG12 kit from Marc Parnes. Before investing in going down this path, I wanted to compare all my options. I'd like to hear your experiences changing your tires and balancing your wheels.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    As far as wheel balancing.. any static wheel balancer is fine. No need anything fancy unless you doing high volume stuff..

Goplus Motorcycle Bike Wheel Balancer, Rim Tire Balancing Spin Static Truing Stand w/Adjustable Centering Cones, Tire Balancer (16"×8 3/5"×20") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01969NEH6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5vHWDb1Q95KAR
  3. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How does this work with the rear tire (spoked wheels)? I've seen people mention that an adapter is needed because of the larger hole.
  4. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Whatever you do.. make sure to watch this video closely.

Few big mistakes for noobs.
    1) forgetting to make sure the other end of tire edges are not in the drop channel well in middle of rim.. that portion that gives your tire that extra little space to get the other side of the tire onto / over the rim lip.

2) lube / wet tire edges with soapy / water base lube enough.. a dry tire is like a dry cat; she'll fight and scream all the way in!!

3) warm up the tire before hand... same as a cat condition in 2..
    Motodoc, PDXRider70 and Covert like this.
  5. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Yes.. you'll need a rear wheel adapter and / or separate rod / adapter kit..
  6. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where would you source this adapter and/or separate rod/adapter kit?
  7. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using a Marc Parnes balancer for probably 15 years. It rests on a pair of jack stands when I balance a wheel. I use spoke-mounted weights because I was having problems with the adhesive weights sticking to the rim.
  8. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    I do not own a GS but I’ve had a lot of luck with ride on tire sealer and balancer
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I found a rod and two adapter for $85 off ebay once..

Dont see them anymore but these should work.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.de/ulk/itm/331598833286

Dont forget to search here in forum for tire changing.. plenty of advice, gotchas, etc.

You're not the first nor will u be the last to ask..lol
  10. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    See post 4 above...
  11. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    All you need to know right here:

Pay the $115 and go ride! :deal

Sorry, Adam. Still one of my all-time favorite videos. :clap
  12. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Actually.. if he hasnt done it before... then yes.. learn how to properly do it!

Do it a few times so you are comfortable on how to..

Being out in the wild and stranded on the road in the middle of nowhere, not knowing how to fix / change your own tires would not be ideal time to learn.

Once you are good enough... then pay to get them done if you are too lazy and too busy... but knowledge/ skill is power.. do it / learn it..
    Solo Moto likes this.
  13. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    I recently spooned on a set of D606s (tubed) on my DR650. Fist time effort. Key is understanding center drop zone and using plenty of lube, along with patience.

I was successful with only a few minor wheel scratches. It’s a DR, so no worries.
    Also used the Marc Parnes balancer and reusable spoke weights (from No Mar).

I’ll eventually attempt on my GSA, maybe after a couple more changes on the DR for good measure. It’s all technique.
    falcofred and ExodusRider like this.
  14. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Just drop your GSA a couple more times in the dirt / rocks and scratch them rims up.. you'll be changing them tires with a quickness!
    bgillie and Solo Moto like this.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like installing tile on a large floor or laying sod, there are just some things worth paying others to do.
    ontrip, ArielNut and LAFS like this.
  17. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Not quite same..

if you gonna be a true adv rider and go off-road and back country route.

.not knowing how to lay tiles probably wont hurt ya..

Not knowing how the change your own tire / fix a flat may..

Point is, the young man is trying to learn how to do so.. let's encourage him to do just that..

To each their own I reckon...
    BluByU and OKBMW like this.
  18. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
  19. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    I would love to hear your feedback of how those motionpro beadbreaking levers go. I have been thinking about buying a set.
    Breaking the bead on tubeless gs wheels can take quite a bit of effort. Especially the stiff tyres such as k60, e09 etc.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  20. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    There are the short ( alluminum) and long (iron/ steel alloy?) versions of those MP bead breakers/spoon combo. I have them both w/ the shorter ones for trips..

The long ones he listed work extremely well, the short ones work but does require abit more effort.

Front wheels take little effort, rear w/ stiff 50/50 + tires require much more obviously..but with a warmed up tire and practice.. works fine..

Some times..might have to use your foot for level / pressure but once bead is broken in one spot, can easily work around rest of tire with them.

Worst case.. there is always the rotate kickstand / bike weight to break the bead on the rear.. that technique has worked 99% of the time whenever I've used it.

Traveling 6 months from London to east side of Russia down to Mongolia to Iran. I've used them (short ones) successfully several times in the wild.. 2015 BMW f800 GSA w/ custom 21/18 Woody Wheels running Mitas e07s..
    Covert and rvt like this.