1250 GSA Tank Bag

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SpEd, Sep 11, 2019.

1. SpEd

SpEd Purposeless life has its advantages.

Oddometer:
    Recently came across this BMW bag on Revzilla. I like it a lot, it's reasonably priced, and not too big. Looks like it would fit my wallet, gloves and a small bottle of tequila.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bmw-r1250gs-adventure-tank-bag

[​IMG]

For those of you using the BMW branded stuff, how do you like it? Has it worn a lot on the tank? Would you buy again or go with something else, and what would you choose?

Thanks and ride safe.
    drw1926 likes this.
  2. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using mine for 3 years so far with no issues aside from some very slight yellowing of the map cover. I bought it for my ‘16 R1200 GSA and gladly moved it over to my ‘19 R1250 GSA when I upgraded. Lots of room and stays put without scratching the tank. It does get a bit in the way when standing on the pegs, especially when going uphill. But all in all, I’d buy it again. Fair disclosure, I’ve been using BMW tank bags for 20 years.
    ckindt and SpEd like this.
  3. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    I am using the BMW bag, it was on my 2016 GSA for three years and then I moved it to the new 2019 1250 GSA.

Looks like the bag in the picture is an updated version, with a nice Reinforcement on the pouch that’s closer to the rider.

I like the simple strap mounting, which is secure and also easy to take the bag on and off rapidly. I’m not a fan of the turn lock systems that people mount to the gas cap ring, adds complexity and unnecessary in my opinion.

Only minor complaints with the bag, some of the rubber is starting to crumble off the corners but not where it contacts the tank so it hasn’t affected the stability of the bag. Absolutely no damage to the painted tank cover plastics even when riding in dirty dusty conditions although I am careful to clean the bag if there’s too much crap on the bottom surface.

Also the map pocket is not waterproof, only the inner bag.

But it fits the tank perfectly and does not get in the way of the steering or cables. It’s only a minor nuisance when standing And I would buy the same bag again.

One quick caveat, when I was buying mine, there were different versions of the bag for the GS and the GSA. Make sure you’re getting the right one. Unless they made it interchangeable.

TR
  4. SpEd

Oddometer:
    There aren't any pics of the bag on the bike? Can either of you assist?
  5. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the price you might want to look at the Mosko Moto Hood tank bag. it is a little bit smaller then the BMW one but i think has a little more function to it. Just another option.

https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-tank-bags/products/hood
  6. SpEd

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at MoskoMoto stuff but I'm not crazy about the way they look on the bike. I'm drawn to the fact that BMW manufactures the bag to fit the bike specifically. I had a Ranier on my first GS and I liked it a lot. I think I want to step up a little on this one.
    ckindt likes this.
  7. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is the slightly larger, expandable version. It sits very nicely (and securely) on the tank. I just release the lower 2 clips and slide it right to refuel.

RenderedImage.jpg
    scooby33sup, PDXRider70 and SpEd like this.
  8. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a new item from BMW evidently meant for both the GS and GSA versions of the R1250. Based on my experience only with previous BMW bags on several models, I'd recommend and definitely buy. I like the way they're designed to fit specific models and are carefully built. Always, however, their map covers have gradually taken on a yellow cast - looks odd but still perfectly usable. No damage to tank paint.
    SpEd likes this.
  9. SpEd

Oddometer:
    Looking good fasten. Love the black rims too!
  10. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Had the dealer swap out the gold anodized ones as part of the sale.
    SpEd likes this.
  11. SpEd

Oddometer:
    Does the mount in the front attach with an existing screw as I've seen in previous versions? And straps to a point under the seat?
  12. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, a small bracket is provided for the front strap. It bolts under the existing bolt.
    The rear strap threads through the two small slots in the seat holder bracket already on your bike.

20190903_110745.jpg 20190909_165421.jpg
  13. SpEd

Oddometer:
    Looks like Revzilla will be getting some more of my money soon! Thanks everyone, and ride safe.
  14. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    I’d like to see how it mounts. Some t bags are a pain to get to the fuel cap. Got pics?
    I also wonder why it’s dedicated as an R1250GS item. Are the tank panels different from an R1200GS?
  15. tlwood99

tlwood99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same sized bag on an earlier bike (09). Does the basics, looks good and really satisfied with it now. Mine really yellowed (probably the Texas sun and or 10 years use) and the map case was really useless from the start (hard to get a map in and out from behind and under trying not to wreck the map. I probably would have pitched it but decided to try a map case from Touratech. I velcro'ed over the tank bag on the top of the bag and added the map case. Much better way to deal with maps, looks original, and hides the ugly yellow underneath.
    tentative_rider likes this.
  16. ckindt

Oddometer:
    I don't like hassles either, but this bag is pretty easy to move out of the way. I usually detach the front and sit the bag on my seat to fill up.
    20190912_160428.jpg 20190912_160448.jpg
    20190912_160520.jpg 20190912_160614.jpg 20190912_160648.jpg 20190912_160839.jpg 20190912_160902.jpg 20190912_161001.jpg 20190912_161032.jpg 20190912_161222.jpg 20190912_161242.jpg

:thumb
    drw1926, tentative_rider and SpEd like this.
  17. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Where did you get that sweet little clip for your Warm n Safe Heatroller?
  18. ckindt

Oddometer:
    tentative_rider and SpEd like this.
  19. SpEd

Oddometer:
    @ckindt in the above pics of your bag mounting...is there some significance for the red "thingys" attached to your lower straps?

And yes...thingy is the best technical term I could come up with after a few bourbons....
    tentative_rider and ckindt like this.
  20. ckindt

Oddometer:
    They help you thread the needle when you insert the strap through the slot in the bracket.